Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 01:32 PM

193 posts, read 623,955 times

Advertisements

Local Restaurants divided into style of food:The 13th Annual Foodie Awards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 03:23 PM

20 posts, read 52,175 times
According to the readers the best Italian food in Orlando is Olive Garden and best Mexican is Tijuana flats

Old 02-04-2011, 03:54 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefunk View Post
According to the readers the best Italian food in Orlando is Olive Garden and best Mexican is Tijuana flats
Definitely better runner-up choices for Mexican like local places like Agave Azul and Garibaldi's.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:57 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
The best thing to look at is the "critic's choice" selection.

People voted Red Lobster and Bonefish Grill for best seafood (RL was runner up). Bonefish is OK, but i wouldn't feed my dog some of the stuff at RL.

The critics got it right by picking Big Fin seafood in dr phillips. A great LOCALLY-owned seafood place.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:02 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,511,056 times
...Were tourists picking some of these places? Sweet Tomatoes and Bahama Breeze?!

Oh well, I'm glad some of my favorites made the list, including Yellow Dog Eats, Dandelion Communitea Cafe and The Old Spanish Sugar Mill.

Last edited by brinkofsunshine; 02-04-2011 at 10:17 PM..

Old 02-06-2011, 07:30 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
I think some of it comes down to who spends the most advertising dollars with the paper. Orlando Magazine is the same way--those that make their "Best Of" lists are almost always advertisers.

Nothing wrong with Tijuana Flats, and I'd defintiely consider it the best "Fast Food Tex Mex" in the area by a long shot. But it's not the best Mexican.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:44 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
One other thing, the wine list at the Capital Grill is good, but any wine collector would consider it fairly pedestrian and mainstream. (I don't think there's much of anything on their list that I haven't had in my cellar at one point or another--and about half of it is fairly "entry level.")

Best wine list in the area is found at the California Grill where you'll find some true gems from smaller California vintners. Colombia is #2 because of the depth of their list, with a very nice showing of South American and Spanish wines.

But for a true enological adventure, hop in the car and head to Bern's in Tampa. They have one of the best wine lists in the world.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:31 PM

51 posts, read 165,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I think some of it comes down to who spends the most advertising dollars with the paper. Orlando Magazine is the same way--those that make their "Best Of" lists are almost always advertisers.

Nothing wrong with Tijuana Flats, and I'd defintiely consider it the best "Fast Food Tex Mex" in the area by a long shot. But it's not the best Mexican.
Coming here from coastal san diego area, I have to say that TJ Flats is awful. I am used to going into a dive place and getting a good burrito, that may not be a pure fast food experience (i.e. usually no drive-through).

The thing I hate about the place is that I just can't find a decent sauce. I am not that picky standard red sauce with some Jalapeno heat, is about all I need. I can't find a good one like that. Some of them are hot, but it's more of a tobasco or some other flavor, not just a basic hot sauce. Here in Oviedo Habaneros and El....whatever it is down by *******s I think it is, makes a good decent sauce. However they are also a little pricier and sometimes you just want a quick burrito and drink for $5-6 if you are pressed for time.

Of course since I started eating healthier for new years I don't go to any of them right now, but TJ Flats is closest to me but after three disappointing trips, out of three visits I am done.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:56 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,254,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiffBaseball View Post

The thing I hate about the place is that I just can't find a decent sauce.
Can't find a decent sauce? There are like 1,000 options there. Are you sure you are going to Tijuana Flats and not Taco Bell?

Old 02-08-2011, 06:13 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
I agree with the Critic's Choice on

BBQ-Harry and Larry's
Wings---Flyers (hands down with me unless I make them)
Romantic-Chef's Table
and of couse my Beefy King for sandwiches.

Breakfast...I prefer the Mom and Pop Diners.
Pizza-Winter Garden Pizza Co...some area as Harry and Larry's and Chef's table.

There sure are a lot to choose from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando