Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 10:26 AM

79 posts, read 151,851 times

Advertisements

Your situation stinks. Sorry to hear it is happening to you. What is your background (you mentioned computers, Publix and customer service)? Do you have a degree(s)? These are required for many positions today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 11:05 AM

570 posts, read 1,152,939 times
Careers :: McDonalds.com

Taco Bell® | Careers And Caring Culture

Wendy's Careers – Home

Old 09-02-2012, 11:33 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I dont really care as long as I can earn at least an extra $150-$200 a week. My best bet is going to do serving I think, I need something where I can go home with cash in my pocket every night

But honestly ORL, I'll shovel sh*t for money if I have to. I somebody has a giant pile of sh*t and gives me a shovel and says "I'll pay you (insert dollar amount here) to shovel this giant steaming pile of sh*t" I'll do it
I've been in your shoes more recently than you would believe. At some point doing something for the money will no longer work for you, but until then serve. Heck I made what you want to make in 2 shifts at the good old RL. Honestly Davie, you could deliver pizza and after gas still make $200-300 per week cash. Not sure how a stand up guy like you is having a problem getting a service industry gig in this town.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:43 AM

109 posts, read 207,623 times
Have you considered a career as a LEO?

Old 09-03-2012, 06:05 PM

570 posts, read 1,152,939 times
Quote:
I'm also invaluable to Publix as I have experience in 5 of 7 of their departments as follows, Customer Service, Deli, Meat, Produce, and Grocery. And yes the bennies pack that Publix offers is much better, and NO I don't want to work for McDonalds. I worked for them twice actually once in 2007 and again in 2009, at the same location, and quit both times
Quote:
I dont really care as long as I can earn at least an extra $150-$200 a week. My best bet is going to do serving I think, I need something where I can go home with cash in my pocket every night

But honestly ORL, I'll shovel sh*t for money if I have to. I somebody has a giant pile of sh*t and gives me a shovel and says "I'll pay you (insert dollar amount here) to shovel this giant steaming pile of sh*t" I'll do it

Old 09-07-2012, 03:32 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
My father is unemployed (has been for about three years) and lives in the Sanford/Lake Mary area. He hasn't been able to find anythng decent in the past five years, he's had to take a job at a 7/11 in the past. I invited him to come visit in Houston a couple months ago, while there, he put in apps at a bunch of places. He's gotten about 10 calls and interviews and he's taken a pretty high paying position. I'm driving to Orlando the first week of October to help him move. I was born in Orlando and even though I was mostly raised in Tampa, I spent another year in the late 1990's living in Orlando and I just feel bad for the city and the people that the crime has risen so much and that there are virtually no jobs.

I haven't been back to Orlando since 2004 (ironically visited by Hurricane Charley) but I've heard some pretty bad stories from relatives that still struggle through their lives there. Can someone DM me some information on what there is to do in Orlando (other than the typical theme parks ?) I'll have a couple days to spend around the city before the packing is done and we're headed out.

Thanks

Old 09-07-2012, 03:39 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Quote:
Right because with $275 a week, and a car loan tying me down I can just pick up and go wherever I want. If I DID leave Florida, I would move to the west coast either Las Vegas or Los Angeles (the latter if I had a lot of money) but those places have suck job markets too. And in the NE, granted their UE rate isn't as high as Florida's but the job markets there have been bad for decades every since factories outsourced jobs to China
You could always take $135 down to Port Canaveral to TSA and apply for a TWIC card, use that TWIC card to apply for off-shore jobs in Louisiana. They usually pay even the lowest, unskilled workers over $100/day and offer what they call "bunk houses" to people that come to work from other states. If you can stand to be away from home and out in the Gulf for 3 weeks or so at a time.

I've applied for a TWIC and Z-card as a fallback incase the economy tanks again. Always good to have a fallback.

Also wanted to add that you should look at Dallas or Houston as relocation options if you choose to leave. We have plenty of openings in every field you mentioned and then some.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:49 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
You could always take $135 down to Port Canaveral to TSA and apply for a TWIC card, use that TWIC card to apply for off-shore jobs in Louisiana. They usually pay even the lowest, unskilled workers over $100/day and offer what they call "bunk houses" to people that come to work from other states. If you can stand to be away from home and out in the Gulf for 3 weeks or so at a time.

I've applied for a TWIC and Z-card as a fallback incase the economy tanks again. Always good to have a fallback.

Also wanted to add that you should look at Dallas or Houston as relocation options if you choose to leave. We have plenty of openings in every field you mentioned and then some.
good advice. Also lots of oil jobs in ND which can pay up to six figures

Old 09-10-2012, 08:18 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeums View Post
Yes, because all community college and state university systems can handle every single college student who didn't get a scholarship to a private college. :eyeroll:
Going to college isn't a right. It shouldn't be. Can't afford it? Then work and save until you can. (That's what I did.) Can't get in? Then start by taking classes as a non-matriculated until you can. (I did that as well--not because I didn't have the grades but rather the lack of an SAT score.)

Don't have the grades? Then maybe you just aren't college material. 80% of current college students shouldn't be there.

I'm tired of the whining. Young adults these days lack common sense and the ability to think outside the box. And then they wonder why they get stuck working for $8/hour.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:27 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Another excellent post on the subject. The young worker today feels that the employer owes them more than a paycheck and they dont. Do for your employer and your employer will do for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Going to college isn't a right. It shouldn't be. Can't afford it? Then work and save until you can. (That's what I did.) Can't get in? Then start by taking classes as a non-matriculated until you can. (I did that as well--not because I didn't have the grades but rather the lack of an SAT score.)

Don't have the grades? Then maybe you just aren't college material. 80% of current college students shouldn't be there.

I'm tired of the whining. Young adults these days lack common sense and the ability to think outside the box. And then they wonder why they get stuck working for $8/hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando