Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2012, 06:49 PM

8 posts, read 12,630 times

Advertisements

This is my first time posting in the Orlando forum, but I've been lurking around for quite a while now, reading everything that you guys have to say about the different areas to live and what-not. So I guess it's my turn to try and get some help!

I've lived in Orlando for ten years now and in that span, I've lived in a bunch of different apartments on the East Side and Downtown. I've bounced around to so many different places mainly because I get restless and have yet to find a place that I'm really in love with. I'll never live on the East Side again and honestly, I'm really tired of the Downtown lifestyle that I've never actually fit in with anyway, not to mention living in a shoebox for the same price that I've paid for other, more spacious apartments.

So here are my issues. First, my budget only allows me to pay $700/month...$800 max if I'm totally in love with it. I don't have a car, so I also need fairly close access to Lynx. Walking distance to a decent grocery (it doesn't have to be Publix!) is a huge plus, or at least a fairly short bus ride. A complex that allows for pets (a cat) and has washer/dryer in the unit and not in a facility is a must (I'm over the fighting for machines and cleaning out other people's lint from the dryer, not to mention not being able to wash a towel if I need to because I can't rationalize spending the money for a load when it's just once piece.). Having a roommate is not an option for me, right now. I don't need to be around a happening singles scene/night life, but because of my lack of car, I can't be out in the boonies, either. Peace and quiet is a beautiful thing, though.

All of that being said, I guess I need to know what areas to look for all of this. Yes, I've lived here ten years, but my experience exploring the entire Orlando metro area is pretty limited, being a bus rider and all. I work downtown, so I'd rather not have an hour+ commute, but if that's the case, I've done it before and I can do it again, especially if it's not a huge ordeal to go shopping or wash my clothes. I'm open to areas like Maitland, Casselberry, Altamonte, Longwood, or even south of downtown. All of the Parks (Audubon, Baldwin, College), while pretty great, are also pretty pricey, unless you guys know something that I don't. I obviously know to stay away from West Orlando, and Winter Garden is a bit of a trek, not to mention Lynx is severely limited out there. I know you guys have said in the past to stay away from Oxford Road in Maitland, but is that just specific complexes on that road? Or the entire area in general?

Even if you guys can't exactly help as far as complexes, any insight into safe, accessible areas would be awesome. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 12:50 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
Conway Road area, Downtown South off Michigan, Holden, Millenia, Jamestown road in Altamonte (although bus ride could be pushing 1 hr to downtown), Winter Park off Lee Road, and maybe the Casselberry area (again commute time could be long).

Old 11-13-2012, 12:03 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Look around the Lake of the Woods Blvd area in Casselberry. You'll find rent in your price range for sure, and you'll have a Winn-Dixie, Publix and Aldi nearby. There's even a great little meat market or 2 within a short distance plus you'll be right on 17-92 which equals a single seat Lynx ride into downtown Orlando which should take less than 45 minutes. You'll also be close to 436 which has one of the better, more highly used Lynx routes, Link 41 which will easily get you to nearby Uptown Altamonte for expanded shopping, dining, and entertainment options. Also I should mention there are plenty of little dives and even some decent food that would be walking distance, even though this is not a walker's paradise by any stretch of the imagination.

PS. Just looking forward, I'd look up where the Sun-Rail stops are going to be in Longwood, or Altamonte so in addition to Lynx, you'd have a quick car free ride into downtown.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:14 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,902 times
South of downtown sounds like your best bet, price wise and Lynx wise. Just be cautious about which area. For instance don't come to Americana if you don't have too. This was our last resort to live here, and while it's fine, we would rather be somewhere else. We pay $640 or so for a two bedroom, so you could definitely find something at one of the nicer apartments in this area for cheaper. Now don't let it scare you off. As I said there are some nicer apartments in this area and it's not all that bad. I know there are better areas around town, but realistically most posters on here don't live or have never lived in rougher areas of town and are so fast to put them down. Anyhow I think you can find yourself to be okay, but here are a few options

We have a
SuperTarget
Publix
and a future Neighborhood Wal-mart coming in this area, same for SoDo near Michigan and Orange which isn't far from here. So catching Lynx 40,11,7,18,8,4 would work out for you from Conroy and Kirkman east to Orange Ave and from South of Downtown to Sand Lake. In that general area could be something that could work. IDK Just throwing a few suggestions out there for you.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:31 AM

8 posts, read 12,630 times
Thank you all so much! I'm definitely going to check out all of those areas. I was getting so frustrated with my search because sure, there are a bunch of places for rent, but who is to say it's a decent area, conducive to my lack of car, etc. You guys have helped me immensely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando