Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2012, 03:29 AM

14 posts, read 18,185 times

Advertisements

I should know for sure if this is going to happen either today or tomorrow. If it does happen, I'll have to be down there fast (moving from PA).

My job would be in Lake Mary. I am married, but my husband will stay up in PA to sell the house. While he's selling the house up here, I'll be down in Florida starting my new job and scouting out areas.

I anticipate a need for temporary housing for about 3-6 months. It's just me for the housing, a professional woman. No pets will accompany me.

We'll be down in Florida over the holidays visiting our family down there, so I'll have a chance to check out the options for temporary housing then.

I'd like to stay in the $400-700 range. Fully furnished would be most ideal.

I've got no requirements for school districts, proximity to anything (except I don't want to be more than 35 minutes from work).

I've seen tons of rooms for rent and that sort of thing near Orlando, but I think that may be too far and I'm no longer the party girl of my youth. I'm quiet and like to sleep these days.

I've seen the extended stay hotels in the area, and if that's all there is, then I can go with that, but I want to make sure I'm exploring all my options.

Any suggestions? Thanks so much for your help. I've learned so much from this forum already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 04:35 AM

27,203 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camlin View Post
I should know for sure if this is going to happen either today or tomorrow. If it does happen, I'll have to be down there fast (moving from PA).

My job would be in Lake Mary. I am married, but my husband will stay up in PA to sell the house. While he's selling the house up here, I'll be down in Florida starting my new job and scouting out areas.

I anticipate a need for temporary housing for about 3-6 months. It's just me for the housing, a professional woman. No pets will accompany me.

We'll be down in Florida over the holidays visiting our family down there, so I'll have a chance to check out the options for temporary housing then.

I'd like to stay in the $400-700 range. Fully furnished would be most ideal.

I've got no requirements for school districts, proximity to anything (except I don't want to be more than 35 minutes from work).

I've seen tons of rooms for rent and that sort of thing near Orlando, but I think that may be too far and I'm no longer the party girl of my youth. I'm quiet and like to sleep these days.

I've seen the extended stay hotels in the area, and if that's all there is, then I can go with that, but I want to make sure I'm exploring all my options.

Any suggestions? Thanks so much for your help. I've learned so much from this forum already.
There are sometimes options advertised on Craigslist for temporary housing or rent by the week, but wouldn't recommend in your instance given you're an older working professional as many are more geared toward students or those with very limited budgets. Extended stay options in my opinion would be the best way to go and in my opinion more safe/secure as well. I would most recommend the Candlewood Suites, though either Extended Stay America or Homestead Suites (same area, on Greenwood Boulevard in Lake Mary) are fairly good too. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...y_Florida.html

Old 12-18-2012, 07:28 AM

793 posts, read 2,524,514 times
I would recommend extended stay, to much fraud on craigslist to take a chance.

Hope this helps,

Old 12-19-2012, 01:22 AM

Kyle and Dave -- that is precisely the information I needed. Thanks so much!

Old 12-19-2012, 08:36 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
Yes, Candlewood Suites is one of my suggestions. The only thing is that it is about $1000/mo plus tax. There's also an Extended Stay and LA Quinta. I know the op said $400-$700 but was that monthly or weekly? The only other option I know is to look on Craigslist. I know there are listings for furnished condos in Lake Mary that maybe a little cheaper. There is a Value Place in Sanford that is clean but is not in as nice of an area as Lake Mary. It's still fairly safe though. It is about $200/ week.

Good luck!

Old 12-20-2012, 03:36 AM

Beckycat,

Thanks for your response! I am okay with 400-700 a week to begin with, but I wouldn't want that for more than a few weeks. If I can't find a permanent place within 2 weeks, I would like to relocate to somewhere cheaper.

Is the place in Sanford called "Value Place"? I am from Philly, so I'm okay with an area that isn't super-safe.

I'm not going to be doing much anyway - working, getting myself set up in Florida, and looking at permanent locations. I won't go out much at night in general.

Thanks again for all your help!

Old 12-20-2012, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
There is a Value Place in Sanford that is clean but is not in as nice of an area as Lake Mary. It's still fairly safe though. It is about $200/ week. Good luck!
Uh-uh!

Value Place Sanford (FL) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor

Old 12-20-2012, 10:28 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camlin View Post
Beckycat,

Thanks for your response! I am okay with 400-700 a week to begin with, but I wouldn't want that for more than a few weeks. If I can't find a permanent place within 2 weeks, I would like to relocate to somewhere cheaper.

Is the place in Sanford called "Value Place"? I am from Philly, so I'm okay with an area that isn't super-safe.

I'm not going to be doing much anyway - working, getting myself set up in Florida, and looking at permanent locations. I won't go out much at night in general.

Thanks again for all your help!
If you're from Philly, it's going to be "safe" to you. My DH is from Philly and when people talk about Sanford being unsafe, I don't feel that way at all. When I am in Philly, I am on full alert at all times. LOL It's a cake walk.

BTW, my daughter has stayed @ Value Place in Sanford before. She said it wasn't bad. The only thing is you have to pay to use pots, pans, utensils, etc unless you bring your own. Also, make sure to give 24 hrs notice before checking out to get your deposit back. I do agree there can be some seedy people there but that's the area.

Now that you clarified what you could afford, I would definitely stay @ the Candlewood in Lake Mary. My sister stays there every year when she visits. It's a great location, clean and safe. It includes everything as well. Here you go: http://orlando.craigslist.org/sub/3428714901.html They are offering a monthly stay @ $960 at this time. You have to call Michael in NC to get the special rate.

BTW, my DH wanted to know what part of Philly?

Last edited by beckycat; 12-20-2012 at 11:11 AM..

Old 12-20-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
If you're from Philly, it's going to be "safe" to you. My DH is from Philly and when people talk about Sanford being unsafe, I don't feel that way at all. When I am in Philly, I am on full alert at all times. LOL It's a cake walk.
I agree Becky regarding Sanford (since I live here AND formerly in Philly), though from the reviews of this particular place it sounds as if it can be dicey from time to time. If the OP can comfortably swing the higher price of Candlewood Suites I too think it would be a much better choice.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:41 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
My suggestion is that seeing as how you have family in the area, ask them to ask around to see if someone has a guest room with private bath that they would rent you. I've done this with friends of friends/relatives before and it's worked out well. I wouldn't rent to a random stranger, but I've rented to professionals who were a friend or family member of someone I knew who needed short term accomodations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando