Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2012, 03:11 PM

2 posts, read 32,763 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm moving to Orlando from Puerto Rico on the second week of January. I will start school there so I will need to buy a used car. I'm planning to get a part-time job. So here is the question: I need to have Florida drivers license (I have PR drivers license) to get Florida car insurance, register the car, and get the tag? or I can get the insurance, the registration, and the tag with my drivers license from Puerto Rico?

I really don't want to lose my PR drivers license because I don't know if I will going back to PR in the near future.

And if I need to get the Florida drivers license, it's hard to get? I will need to to take a vision test and a written test? And after getting the license, is fast get the insurance?

Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 06:01 AM

1,722 posts, read 3,748,777 times
When I moved here in 2004, I had to have FL car insurance before getting a FL license and tag. I don't know if its changed but you can call the Tag Office or an insurance agent and ask.

When I got my driver's license, all I had to do is the vision test...nothing more. It could take some time to get the license though as the offices are usually very crowded and you don't get your license and tags at the same location.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:12 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
You need a FL DL and insurance to get tags. You do not need insurance to get the DL. You will probably not be able to get insurance for a car you intend to domicile in FL without a FL DL.

In order:

DL (will require a written test and possibly a driving test as well depending on reciprocity with PR. You will need to provide a properly registered and insured vehicle for a driving test, it can not be a rental.)

Insurance

Registration/Title/Tags

Old 12-12-2012, 09:20 AM

22 posts, read 61,167 times
We moved from the UK and got a car, tags and insurance using our UK License earlier this year. We then got our FL DL, informed the insurance company and on renewal the premiums shot up!! We did the written and driving tests, they were very easy, my 6 year old could easily pass them.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:04 PM

385 posts, read 1,403,285 times
Florida has full reciprocity for driver's licenses with Puerto Rico, which means you will not have to take either the written or road tests. You will have to surrender your Puerto Rico license.

-Harry

Old 12-18-2012, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 16,337 times
You do not need FL license. I got tags and insurance with IL drivers license last week.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:37 PM

197 posts, read 752,033 times
This website will give you all the information you need to know regarding DLs:

State of Florida.com - Florida Drivers License Information

There are also links on this website regarding insurance and vehicle tags.

If you don't already know, when you register your vehicle for the first time, it'll cost you about $400 (first-time registration fee, license plate, tags, etc.) .

Old 12-20-2012, 07:49 PM

457 posts, read 627,123 times
Go to the Florida "Gather, Go, Get" website. It will walk you through what you need.

I got my insurance changed immediately. Took my proof of insurance, my out of state license, passport and something else (utility bill?) and I got a license. Check your license before you walk away. They marked mine as "insulin dependent" instead of "organ donor" and I had to go back and have it straightened out. Grrr.

Then I was able to go get my Florida title and license plate. You get these at the Tax Collector's office, not the DMV. It was around $400, which I know is ridiculous. Yell at Florida, not me.

That's how I did it.

There is some law about having to get it all done in ten days. I was not able to comply with that, but I think I had it down in 4-6 weeks.

Good luck!

Old 12-22-2012, 07:30 PM

2 posts, read 32,763 times
Thanks everyone for the replies, now I have a clear idea about the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: