Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2013, 01:40 PM

8 posts, read 15,126 times

Advertisements

My husband's career may be taking us to Orlando soon. We should have a big decision to make by the end of next week. To say I'm a little nervous is an understatement! My husband lived in the Orlando area 10 years ago, but neither of us have been back. I'm sure it has changed tremendously, and we weren't looking at the city through a parent's eyes. We have two children, the oldest of which will be starting Kindergarten this coming autumn. I love where we are now (the Greater Cincinnati area), in our small town with pretty much non-existant crime, great schools, and yet only 40 minutes away from all the city has to offer.

Should we choose to accept this opportunity, my husband will be working in the Metro West area of Orlando. So far, Oviedo and Lake Mary have caught my attention, but I wonder about the commute? Anything under about 40 minutes would be okay. I am open to any and all suggestions, though! Our biggest concerns are a safe place to raise our children, and great schools. Where should we look? I think we would like to stay under $300,000 for a house, but intend on renting first so that we can get a true feel for our surroundings. Also, I am a stay-at-home mom, so only my husband's commute is a consideration.

Thank you all so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 01:52 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two_in_Tow View Post
My husband's career may be taking us to Orlando soon. We should have a big decision to make by the end of next week. To say I'm a little nervous is an understatement! My husband lived in the Orlando area 10 years ago, but neither of us have been back. I'm sure it has changed tremendously, and we weren't looking at the city through a parent's eyes. We have two children, the oldest of which will be starting Kindergarten this coming autumn. I love where we are now (the Greater Cincinnati area), in our small town with pretty much non-existant crime, great schools, and yet only 40 minutes away from all the city has to offer.

Should we choose to accept this opportunity, my husband will be working in the Metro West area of Orlando. So far, Oviedo and Lake Mary have caught my attention, but I wonder about the commute? Anything under about 40 minutes would be okay. I am open to any and all suggestions, though! Our biggest concerns are a safe place to raise our children, and great schools. Where should we look? I think we would like to stay under $300,000 for a house, but intend on renting first so that we can get a true feel for our surroundings. Also, I am a stay-at-home mom, so only my husband's commute is a consideration.

Thank you all so much!
Those areas might be too far for metro west. Check out windermere (along 535) and Dr Phillips instead. Very nice neighborhoods that will be a much shorter commute, and will save you $$$$ on the toll roads you'll have to take (408 and 417)

Old 01-04-2013, 03:30 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
Also look into Wekiva/Sweetwater, great area for families and kids. Kind of feel like it's own small little town tucked in between larger cities and suburbs. With the 429 now complete you should be able to take either the expressways or back roads to Metro West in under or about 40 mins.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:37 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,511,056 times
Lake Mary and Oviedo are unnecessarily far from where your husband will be working. I second chopchop0's advice on Windermere and DP. Windermere is a very quiet small town with very low crime. There's two parts to Windermere- old and new. Old Windermere has a charming tiny downtown, lots of sprawling oaks, some dirt roads and expensive homes. This is where the subdivision Isleworth is, where Tiger Woods and Shaq have owned huge homes. The homes are generally older or custom built. New Windermere is of course newer and new subdivisions are being built constantly. You can get more bang for your buck here, although you give up the charm of the older neighborhoods and the trees. Old Windermere's zoned high school (Olympia) is better than new Windermere's (West Orange). Your budget may be a bit low for old Windermere but there's no harm in looking!

Dr. Philips is next door to Windermere, and closer to I-4. This area has a lot of shopping and dining and bumps up right next to Universal, so there's more going on and has a larger population than Windermere, although neighborhoods are still quiet. Again, DP is a safe area with great schools. The high school is going through a renovation right now. It's a bit more convenient for everyday errands because of the retail development. It shouldn't be hard to find a home with your budget.

In short, both areas are highly desirable but a little different. It will probably come down to taste or just finding the perfect house. I live in Dr. Phillips but have lived in Windermere before, if you have any more questions I'll do my best to answer them.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:33 PM

8 posts, read 15,126 times
Thanks for the responses! It was my impression that we were priced out of Windermere and Dr. Phillips. We would like to have at least a 4 bedroom house with a pool. Also, from the Florida DOE, it seemed that Seminole County was the better district.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:52 PM

251 posts, read 436,976 times
I do not recommend commuting from Metro West to Seminole County. It will be red light after red light with not enough payoff at the end.

$300k should be more than enough to get you inside the Dr Phillips school district and into a very nice house. Windermere/Dr Phillips is loaded with waterfront property and gigantic mansions but there are still plenty of beautiful homes not on the water and not meant for NBA stars. I'm not sure where you'd be moving from but here in Florida home values are priced 50% less than they were six years ago. A $600k home in 2006 would have been a great place to live by anyone's standards.

As much as property values have dropped though, home owners association fees have skyrocketed. Keep that in mind when deciding between gated communities and regular neighborhoods.

My recommendation would be to save a search on a real estate listing site set at Dr Phillips/4br/pool/<$300k. You'll see that they do exist. Maybe not hundreds of listings but you're only looking for one good deal so you won't need many.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:05 AM

290 posts, read 688,712 times
As Kestrel metioned, here's a couple listings just from doing a quick search on Trulia, all 3 are in the DP area...

4760 High Oak Court, Orlando FL - Trulia
5740 Cedar Pine Drive, Orlando FL - Trulia
7834 Snowberry Circle, Orlando FL - Trulia

Old 01-07-2013, 03:22 PM

492 posts, read 1,025,227 times
Dr. Phillips or downtown areas (Delaney, Lake Eola Heights). There won't be tons of houses in your price range for what you want, but you can find something good if keep looking. Also, the schools are good. Delaney is zoned for Blankner which is a great elementary and middle, and Lake Eola Heights is mostly zoned for Hillcrest, which is a great elementary with a language immersion program (French, Spanish, Vietnamese).

Conway is another possibility, but you'll need to sort out an address to know which school you are zoned for.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:43 PM

565 posts, read 1,253,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel88 View Post
I'm not sure where you'd be moving from but here in Florida home values are priced 50% less than they were six years ago. A $600k home in 2006 would have been a great place to live by anyone's standards.
So true. I paid about $100k less for my house in Winter Springs than it was appraised for in 2006.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando