Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 06:48 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,983 times

Advertisements

I got pulled over today for speeding in a school zone. I totally did not see it, it was early in the morning and I don't usually go that way. He got me going 50 and the limit in this case would be 20. This triggered an automatic court date. I went on the website and it says the fine for "more than 30mph" is $555.50. Anyway, anyone have any advice or tips to share. I can't pay that much right now out of pocket. Do I have any recourse. I didn't see the flashing light because it was high up and I was just following traffic. It seemed to me that the car on my left was going the same speed as me. I have a feeling that the cop put down 50mph just so he can get me at that 30mph over the limit to get the maximum fine. I thought I was going more like 40-45. I've never been pulled over in Florida. I'm from CT and things are a bit different there. This is my first offence and I have an otherwise clear driving record.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 07:00 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Given your clean record you should be able to avoid the fine and points with a request for the Traffic School option. Bear in mind I think you'll have to pay some court costs which I think are minimal. Florida Traffic School - Online Traffic School & Ticket Dismissal

Old 02-08-2013, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Given your clean record you should be able to avoid the fine and points with a request for the Traffic School option. Bear in mind I think you'll have to pay some court costs which I think are minimal. Florida Traffic School - Online Traffic School & Ticket Dismissal
Thanks. I did see that on the webiste. My conern is that with a school zone and 30mph over the limit there is going to be something more than just traffic school :-/

Old 02-08-2013, 11:13 AM

511 posts, read 854,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
I got pulled over today for speeding in a school zone. I totally did not see it, it was early in the morning and I don't usually go that way. He got me going 50 and the limit in this case would be 20. This triggered an automatic court date. I went on the website and it says the fine for "more than 30mph" is $555.50. Anyway, anyone have any advice or tips to share. I can't pay that much right now out of pocket. Do I have any recourse. I didn't see the flashing light because it was high up and I was just following traffic. It seemed to me that the car on my left was going the same speed as me. I have a feeling that the cop put down 50mph just so he can get me at that 30mph over the limit to get the maximum fine. I thought I was going more like 40-45. I've never been pulled over in Florida. I'm from CT and things are a bit different there. This is my first offence and I have an otherwise clear driving record.
Did you leave out the part about being on a cell phone at the time? You didn't see the school zone so likely you don't have a clue how fast you were going either, is it even a 45MPH zone? At any rate slow down, pay better attention BECAUSE if you weren't paying enough attention to notice something as critical as a school zone with bright mustard yellow neon signs and flashing lights then likely you'd also not notice a child in the road either, regardless of the other traffic drive your own car!

As a parent with young children in school I have little sympathy and most of your post is just denials, deflection and excuses without a single bit of remorse expressed for your dangerous driving..

I'd suggest you hire an attorney that specializes in traffic cases as they do bulk work and can keep the cost down to a couple hundred dollars or so and get you a reduced fine and probably reduced or no points as well which is really the big hit when it comes to your license and insurance rates long term .. Pay attention!! Slow down! There are peoples children out there!!

Old 02-08-2013, 11:15 AM

511 posts, read 854,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Thanks. I did see that on the webiste. My conern is that with a school zone and 30mph over the limit there is going to be something more than just traffic school :-/
Honestly, I hope so..

Old 02-08-2013, 12:50 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
I would get a traffic attorney.

I went to traffic court to contest an accident ticket. (I didn't have an attorney, but thankfully the ticket was thrown out because the people in the other car didn't show up.) There was a guy there that day who was clocked going 100mph+ on one of the toll roads. He didn't have a lawyer and the state trooper excoriated him in the courtroom. He got a hefty fine and like 50 hours or something of aggressive driving classes.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesickFloridian View Post
Did you leave out the part about being on a cell phone at the time? You didn't see the school zone so likely you don't have a clue how fast you were going either, is it even a 45MPH zone? At any rate slow down, pay better attention BECAUSE if you weren't paying enough attention to notice something as critical as a school zone with bright mustard yellow neon signs and flashing lights then likely you'd also not notice a child in the road either, regardless of the other traffic drive your own car!

As a parent with young children in school I have little sympathy and most of your post is just denials, deflection and excuses without a single bit of remorse expressed for your dangerous driving..

I'd suggest you hire an attorney that specializes in traffic cases as they do bulk work and can keep the cost down to a couple hundred dollars or so and get you a reduced fine and probably reduced or no points as well which is really the big hit when it comes to your license and insurance rates long term .. Pay attention!! Slow down! There are peoples children out there!!
Um, OK, no I wasn't on the cell phone. There were no neon signs and a bunch of flashing lights. There was one light, high up and half way covered up by a tree. I was coming back from a doctor's appointment early in the morning and was thinking some things over. As I mentioned I have a clean driver's record so this is out of the norm for me. Jeez, why don't you judge everyone. It's not like I ran a red light or was going over the orginal limit. The limit in that area is 45mph by the way.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:11 PM

Wouldn't a traffic attorney just cost me more money then I would owe anyway.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:19 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
You can't go to traffic school to get the points/insurance hike removed if you've gotten a 20 mph over in a school zone in Orange County. Hire an attorney to try to get it reduced--it will cost less than what the increase in car insurance will be over the next three years.

By the way, having your mind on something else is distracted driving and no excuse.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You can't go to traffic school to get the points/insurance hike removed if you've gotten a 20 mph over in a school zone in Orange County. Hire an attorney to try to get it reduced--it will cost less than what the increase in car insurance will be over the next three years.

By the way, having your mind on something else is distracted driving and no excuse.
Thank you for the response. I'm not making excuses, as if I'm the only one who's ever had their mind on something else while driving. I don't text or talk on the phone. Everytime I'm on the road there is a handful of idiots on their phones doing who knows what on the road, give me a break. I guess first offense doesn't mean anything and you all treat me like a habitual offender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: