Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 06:01 AM

27,232 posts, read 43,956,177 times

Advertisements

Orlando's online job postings fell 4% from a year ago and statewide there was an increase of 12%, yet 2013 is projected to be "rosy" for Orlando....are all of the new jobs not being posted online? The Hospitality Industry is listed as a major player in need of people (to the point of it being competitive among companies) so shouldn't the demand via job postings be up???

Central Florida?s online job postings fall 3.9% in January - Orlando Business Journal
Orlando job growth this year may wipe out net losses since 2007 - Orlando Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 06:29 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
I'd say that at least 30% of available jobs are not advertised--maybe more. I recently changed jobs (sold my company then decided I wasn't ready to retire yet) and had two different companies offer me jobs. One was an existing opening that they were only recruiting through word of mouth, the other was a company that was going to "create a job" for me as they thought I'd bring considerable value to their organization.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I'd say that at least 30% of available jobs are not advertised--maybe more. I recently changed jobs (sold my company then decided I wasn't ready to retire yet) and had two different companies offer me jobs. One was an existing opening that they were only recruiting through word of mouth, the other was a company that was going to "create a job" for me as they thought I'd bring considerable value to their organization.
Those are anecdotal examples in a city filled with service sector jobs that are supposedly vying against one another for qualified applicants. Not advertising open positions via a venue that is in some instances free of charge doesn't make sense. Hence the conflicting information regarding a drop in posted jobs and an outlook suggesting more jobs becoming available. Also worth noting the rest of the state overall saw a 12% increase in posted jobs online. Why everywhere else but here???

Old 02-17-2013, 07:47 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,206,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Orlando's online job postings fell 4% from a year ago and statewide there was an increase of 12%, yet 2013 is projected to be "rosy" for Orlando....are all of the new jobs not being posted online? The Hospitality Industry is listed as a major player in need of people (to the point of it being competitive among companies) so shouldn't the demand via job postings be up???

Central Florida?s online job postings fall 3.9% in January - Orlando Business Journal
Orlando job growth this year may wipe out net losses since 2007 - Orlando Business Journal
You would think so. But I've noticed from experience of being jobless on accounts these past few years and recent months, you have to actually go in to an employer for the best and more recent changes in employment positions. Not only that Sites such as indeed, monster, careerbuilder, may not have the job posting up, but going to the companies actual site may have the jobs up. So if someone is a pure online job seeker they are cutting their chances of finding something they desire in the Central Florida market vs going in and doing something online.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Those are anecdotal examples in a city filled with service sector jobs that are supposedly vying against one another for qualified applicants. Not advertising open positions via a venue that is in some instances free of charge doesn't make sense. Hence the conflicting information regarding a drop in posted jobs and an outlook suggesting more jobs becoming available. Also worth noting the rest of the state overall saw a 12% increase in posted jobs online. Why everywhere else but here???
I know of half a dozen restaurant jobs open right now (and I'm not in that industry) that are not being advertised. The owners/managers know the type of employee they are looking for, and are performing their search through word of mouth. It makes perfect sense over advertising a position and getting 1000 applications from unqualified people as opposed to using their network to find two or three highly qualified applicants. It's more effective and there's a lot less wasted time.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:25 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,206,327 times
Quote:
I know of half a dozen restaurant jobs open right now (and I'm not in that industry) that are not being advertised. The owners/managers know the type of employee they are looking for, and are performing their search through word of mouth. It makes perfect sense over advertising a position and getting 1000 applications from unqualified people as opposed to using their network to find two or three highly qualified applicants. It's more effective and there's a lot less wasted time.
This is certainly true. I've witnessed this with certain employers. They don't have time for the BS.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:06 AM

So then only Central Florida employers have taken to not posting jobs on the internet based on the decline in numbers, while the rest of the state where job postings are up double digits inexplicably utilize a different approach...??? Hmm, ok.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
So then only Central Florida employers have taken to not posting jobs on the internet based on the decline in numbers, while the rest of the state where job postings are up double digits inexplicably utilize a different approach...??? Hmm, ok.
It's actually logical. The higher the unemployment rate, the easier it is to find applicants through word of mouth, saving the landslide of unqualified applications and expense of advertising.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
It's actually logical. The higher the unemployment rate, the easier it is to find applicants through word of mouth, saving the landslide of unqualified applications and expense of advertising.
It's actually not logical in comparison to the rest of Florida which is what you're completely missing. Beyond that the unemployment rates are pretty comparable across the state with the exception of the Panhandle.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
It's actually not logical in comparison to the rest of Florida which is what you're completely missing. Beyond that the unemployment rates are pretty comparable across the state with the exception of the Panhandle.
The article about job growth is for the year--many of those jobs are not available right now. That's going to be the difference in a nutshell. I also still think that much of it has to do with unadvertised jobs--which may not be the same in the rest of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando