Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2008, 05:36 AM

3 posts, read 10,369 times

Advertisements

Wow my first post and sorry its a controversial one. My partner and I visit Orlando at least once a year for 3-4 weeks and we are a mixed race couple. Coming from England this has never really been an issue, but its another thing once in the USA. I am not saying its a huge problem, its just we are not used to being stared at so much, especially by the middle aged section of the public and older. In all honesty it often starts with flight crews on American Airlines (but thats another story). Its never got to the point where anyone has come up to us and said anything, but sometimes its a little annoying to see some old couple almost shaking their heads at us.

The younger generation seem less bothered, which is great news for the future . I recall earlier this year in Prime Outlets when a young black guy stormed over to a middle aged black woman and gave her a dressing down for staring at us, he was a total stranger to us and came over after the incident almost apologizing for the ignorance of some of the locals. Nice guy

We almost never see any mixed race couples around, and its kinda become a game while in Orlando to spot them, unfortunately usually when we do see one its another foreign couple on vacation rather than locals. The funny thing is they often smile or nod at us, as they are obviously going through the same thing.

This brings me to a question, I realise that Orlando (orange is mainly of interest) is hugely multi cultural, which is great and one of the things I love about the place, but are some areas more open minded than others when it comes to this kind of issue? We are toying with buying a property over there sometime and would like to know of any areas that would be more laid back with race issues. Las thing we would want is being outcasts of the street

One of the areas we have looked at is Williamsburg, this area seems a perfect location for us and could be easily rented while were not around due to its location?

Anyway sorry for the ranting first post, look forward to being part of the forums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 06:35 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,543,102 times
You will have not problem in Orlando....and yes I'm purposely not reponding to anything else in your post.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:53 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,152,331 times
I agree that people will not have a problem. I am young (25) and most people in my age and demographic have absolutely no qualms about interracial couples. Congratulations on your move and welcome to Orlando!

Old 11-07-2008, 07:02 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,864,651 times
Default where?

I think you will find many areas to be decent. Dr. Phillips, Baldwin Park, East Orlando.
I've done some recent searches of homes for sale in those areas... each have rentals but it may show you a feel for the area.

RES Flyer View (MLX)
dr Phillips

RES Flyer View (MLX)
East side

I don't have a current Baldwin if you want ask I can do it at a later point.

Ken

Old 11-08-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
I think you will find many areas to be decent. Dr. Phillips, Baldwin Park, East Orlando.
I've done some recent searches of homes for sale in those areas... each have rentals but it may show you a feel for the area.

RES Flyer View (MLX)
dr Phillips

RES Flyer View (MLX)
East side

I don't have a current Baldwin if you want ask I can do it at a later point.

Ken
Thanks, will check out your links tomorrow when I get some time

Old 11-13-2008, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,382 times
my wife and i also play the game and are happy when we see couples like us cause you see more white girls with black guys then the other way around like we are. We live here in orlando and its sad to say but after so many years of it you get use it,it dont matter where you go especially in the south.It dont matter where you go old and middle aged folks is goin to stare. What i do sometimes when i do notice them is i just give my wife a nice romantic and a smile,and my wife likes to ask them if they want to take a picture or if they know us and they never have anything to say.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteez View Post
my wife and i also play the game and are happy when we see couples like us cause you see more white girls with black guys then the other way around like we are. We live here in orlando and its sad to say but after so many years of it you get use it,it dont matter where you go especially in the south.It dont matter where you go old and middle aged folks is goin to stare. What i do sometimes when i do notice them is i just give my wife a nice romantic and a smile,and my wife likes to ask them if they want to take a picture or if they know us and they never have anything to say.
Yeah I am a white guy, and girlfriend is black. I generally just stare back. Never bothered confronting anyone about it, thought about though

Old 11-14-2008, 12:34 PM

6 posts, read 20,929 times
I have been to this site a TON of times, and this thread finally made me sign up so i can respond. This is a bit of a sensitive subject for me. My Wife(girlfriend at the time) went to Rollins College, in Winter Park, and I can tell you right now that was a tough area...you would think that wouldn't happen in one of the nicest areas of town, but shamefully, EVERY single time I went to see her, we were glared at by the "Educated and succesful." Obviously I would notice it more than her, but people would have no problems looking down at us like it was their right...in front of others, in front of their own kids...didn't matter. Matter of fact, I remember one night, I got off I4, headed towards Rollins. Maybe a 2 mile stretch. I got pulled over three times. It was so bad I could even hear the dispatcher on the cops radio telling him "LET THAT GUY GO ALREADY!" There are several GREAT areas of Orlando, but if you're looking for acceptance, just be careful where you go...you may not get it. You should be good in the Williamsburg/Hunter's Creek area...it's very integrated. We are currently downtown, and it's pretty nice too. Creepy sometimes, but nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: