Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 10:59 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
In the 1990s the "New Jersey" of the Orlando area was doing great. 192 was prosperous, Osceola Square Mall was busy, Buenaventura Lakes was a desirable community, Celebration was just established...

Now...somewhere along the line between 2000-2007, Osceola County became a dump with the exception of Celebration
The entire area is a dump and it is only getting worse...fast! And osceola is still growing, just not with the segment we want. Celebration...meh it is ok. These are the types of areas that are making me want to get out of here and fast! That said, downtown Orlando is finally shaping up into a real little city, am I am ok with that,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 03:53 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
I didn't grow up in Central Florida, but my observations suggest that Disney put Kissimmee on the map and now is taking them off the map.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:08 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
I didn't grow up in Central Florida, but my observations suggest that Disney put Kissimmee on the map and now is taking them off the map.
Using that logic, the Lake Buena Vista area should be a dump, but it's not. Kissimme's biggest problem is that they didn't put their foot down on a lot of social problems and building codes which have contributed to the downfall in the area. It's too late to turn back the clock, the damage is long done, and I'm not sure they can recover. Orange County got on it in LBV, Osceola County sat on their hands.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:23 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Using that logic, the Lake Buena Vista area should be a dump, but it's not. Kissimme's biggest problem is that they didn't put their foot down on a lot of social problems and building codes which have contributed to the downfall in the area. It's too late to turn back the clock, the damage is long done, and I'm not sure they can recover. Orange County got on it in LBV, Osceola County sat on their hands.
I would propose that part of that is simple geography with proximity to disney in LBV. Once Disney saw the possible revenue in expanding to the low/middle-sector demographic for hotels, they took a shot. I think that helped the surrounding area grow (anchored also by downtown disney). Why stay further away on 192 with cheap-ish attractions (a la north I-drive), when you can be closer to disney and/or stay on a disney property?

Old 03-20-2013, 08:00 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
I would propose that part of that is simple geography with proximity to disney in LBV. Once Disney saw the possible revenue in expanding to the low/middle-sector demographic for hotels, they took a shot. I think that helped the surrounding area grow (anchored also by downtown disney). Why stay further away on 192 with cheap-ish attractions (a la north I-drive), when you can be closer to disney and/or stay on a disney property?
While the stretch of I-Drive from Sand Lake to Oak Ridge is low end, it is still way better than anywhere on West 192. North I Drive has Prime Outlets, Wet N Wild, Magical Midway, along with plenty of affordable restaurants and bars. North I Drive is also adjacent to Universal

What does 192 have besides Old Town and Celebration? A bunch of cheap souvenir shops, Low end outlet stores, and shady motels?

While both are "low end" I'll take North Idrive over West 192 any day of the week

Old 03-20-2013, 09:12 AM

521 posts, read 870,209 times
Just spent a couple weeks in that area The Legacy off 192 and Poinciana blvd and you guys are right 192 has turned dumpy
old town is not how I remembered,rundown a bunch of india owned junky t-shirt shops,closed up motels. The area around the overpriced outlet mall was just gridlock,coud'nt wait to get out of there.Drove up to Clermont, then the new section of the villages they are building by Ocala, across 50 to Mt.Dora area,continued across 50 to cocoa beach,I thought the west side of Melbourne was real nice.Over to Sarasota,41 between Sarasota and Bradenton didn't impress me much,loved Coquina beach.Next trip i'm going to check out Tarpon Springs area and St.Johns county

Old 03-20-2013, 11:48 AM

54 posts, read 90,510 times
So, is this area bad or has it become a bad area with all the variables mentioned here, bad economy, disney and timeshare. And, whats the reason why its been in the decline with celebration being right there. Wouldnt 192 be there shopping/business district? It would seem if celebration uses this area for daily life it would have at least made it back on its feet by now, right?

Old 03-20-2013, 04:10 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brova View Post
So, is this area bad or has it become a bad area with all the variables mentioned here, bad economy, disney and timeshare. And, whats the reason why its been in the decline with celebration being right there. Wouldnt 192 be there shopping/business district? It would seem if celebration uses this area for daily life it would have at least made it back on its feet by now, right?
People in Celebration have no need for cheap t-shirts. They shop at the Publix in Celebration or at The Loop. If what they need isn't there, they head to Florida Mall or wherever.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:31 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
It's not a national political issue. Are we really going to blame Obama for the decline of the 192 area? Should we credit Obama for the expansion of some prominent hotels and shops on I-Drive? What about for some of the expansions on Disney property?

Osceola County was definitely well into it's general decline when Celebration was built. Bush Sr or Clinton may have been president, but it doesn't really matter. 192 was starting to look drab and outdated by the early 1990s when more investment was poured into the Disney properties and International Drive. By the time Universal Studios opened, 192 was no longer in the heart of the action but on the outskirts of it.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:29 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
It's not a national political issue. Are we really going to blame Obama for the decline of the 192 area? Should we credit Obama for the expansion of some prominent hotels and shops on I-Drive? What about for some of the expansions on Disney property?

Osceola County was definitely well into it's general decline when Celebration was built. Bush Sr or Clinton may have been president, but it doesn't really matter. 192 was starting to look drab and outdated by the early 1990s when more investment was poured into the Disney properties and International Drive. By the time Universal Studios opened, 192 was no longer in the heart of the action but on the outskirts of it.
But from about Celebration to points westbound on 192 towards 27, there's been a lot of new construction especially with that new Target plaza that went up across from Orange Lake a few yrs ago. West of Cekebration is the "better" part of 192
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando