Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 06:09 PM

22 posts, read 49,462 times

Advertisements

Hi all! My husband and I live in Orlando we have been going back and forth about where to buy a house for well over a year now. We took a drive out to Clermont yesterday and I have to say it was lovely! When I came home and looked up housing there I was pleasantly surprised at how cheap houses were there compared to some of the other places we have looked at. I was like a little kid when I saw the hills, this city girl has never seen anything like that here in Florida before.

I dont know that much about Clermont myself, I was wondering is it safe? Do they have gang violence like we do in Orlando? Is there a part of Clermont to stay away from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 09:34 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Very safe, no gang violence. You want to stay north of Lake Louisa State Park. I've lived in Clermont for nine years, let me know if I can answer anything specific.

As an FYI of how safe it is, I run before dawn in my neighborhood and have never second guessed my safety. The closest I've come to a problem was yesterday in broad daylight when some moron in a box truck came within inches of hitting me because he was driving way too fast around a corner. (Yup, I called the cops on that one.)

Old 05-27-2013, 04:56 PM

220 posts, read 418,205 times
Parts of Clermont are actually hilly (remember I am talking Florida hilly which is anything over 100 feet in elevation :-)). Clermont is a great value and the only reason people do not stay there seems to be if they get tired of commuting to their job. Looks like they are finally finishing up their work on highway 50 which is their main artery for traffic these days.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:42 AM

I live in a very hilly section of Clermont. My neighborhood has elevations that range from about 250 above sea level to about 100 feet above sea level.

The commute isn't bad at all any more now that they've widened the Turnpike. I can be from my house to Orange and Pine in about 30-35 minutes.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:14 AM

Annerk, thank you so much for your reply! I really fell in love with the hills, it's such a beautiful change of scenery. I found a few houses that were for rent that sat on top of hills that actually had views of the tree tops! Problem is were not looking to rent we are looking to buy and of course I would love to find something with a view if possible.

I have a few questions for you if you don't mind

Out of the 3 zip codes for Clermont 34711 34714 34715 which would you say were the ideal location?

Like I said in my 1st post I know nothing about Clermont. Well, expect the fact we were headed to Winter Garden to check out the area and ended up in Clermont which I ended up loving. We didnt venture far into it because we didnt want to forget the way we came

One thing I didnt see on my very short trip there were any stores, how's the shopping there?

Also would you mind suggesting places to check out our next drive out there as far as neighborhoods, shopping and restaurants? Our max budget for a house is 190k. I would like to stay under 175k if I could.

Thanks for you help!

Old 05-29-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Kingdom_Mama View Post
Annerk, thank you so much for your reply! I really fell in love with the hills, it's such a beautiful change of scenery. I found a few houses that were for rent that sat on top of hills that actually had views of the tree tops! Problem is were not looking to rent we are looking to buy and of course I would love to find something with a view if possible.

I have a few questions for you if you don't mind

Out of the 3 zip codes for Clermont 34711 34714 34715 which would you say were the ideal location?
24714 is zoned for short term rental, so you want to avoid that. 34715 while having a Clermont mailing address, is not what is considered Clermont. It's more like generic Lake County/Minneola. 34711 is the area that you want to be looking in, and what people mean when they say "Clermont."

Quote:
Like I said in my 1st post I know nothing about Clermont. Well, expect the fact we were headed to Winter Garden to check out the area and ended up in Clermont which I ended up loving. We didnt venture far into it because we didnt want to forget the way we came

One thing I didnt see on my very short trip there were any stores, how's the shopping there?
Clermont is intersected by two main roads, SR 50 and US 27. Pretty much all roads in 34711 will eventually bring you out onto one or the other. Lots of shopping. 34711 has three Publix stores, a movie theater, large library, JC Penney's, Target, WalkMart, Kohls, TJ Maxx, Ross, Michael's, Famous Footwear, at least a half a dozen various bicycle/sports shops, GNC, Vitamin World, PetCo, Belk, Staples, Office Max (or maybe Depot, I can't keep them straight, a couple other pet places, the list goes on.

Quote:
Also would you mind suggesting places to check out our next drive out there as far as neighborhoods, shopping and restaurants? Our max budget for a house is 190k. I would like to stay under 175k if I could.

Thanks for you help!
I mentioned shopping above. We have just about every chain restaurant known to man here. We've also got a new place downtown--801 City Grill I think it's called. I haven't been there yet. San Joses is a small chain, only a few locations and locally owned, great fresh Tex Mex and authentic Mexican in a casual atmosphere. There is a cute wine bat with a bistro menu downtown called Vineyards of the World.

There are a ton of neighborhoods in your price range. I'm not sure if you've got kids or if schools are important. If so, be sure you're zoned for Windy Hill Middle and East Ridge High--both are A rated. There are tons of great neighborhoods. Hartwood Reserve, Regency Hills, Legends (at the top of your price range), John's Lake, Lost Lake, the list goes on.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:48 PM

Thank you again Annerk! Your answers have helped me tremendously. I was confused about the zip codes I was looking on maps and seeing what was said to be a Clermont zip code but the address was showing unincorporated Lake County. Now that I understand Ill stick with 34711

I'm happy to here theres tons of shopping and restaurants. I will be sure to check out the Mexican place.I havent been inside a Belks since I was a little kid and they had one at the Florida mall. That will be my first stop in town!

I was talking to a friend about us moving to Clermont. Here she was some sort of Clermont expert, telling me theres no shopping for miles there would be no place for me to get my nails done

Old 05-30-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Kingdom_Mama View Post
Thank you again Annerk! Your answers have helped me tremendously. I was confused about the zip codes I was looking on maps and seeing what was said to be a Clermont zip code but the address was showing unincorporated Lake County. Now that I understand Ill stick with 34711

I'm happy to here theres tons of shopping and restaurants. I will be sure to check out the Mexican place.I havent been inside a Belks since I was a little kid and they had one at the Florida mall. That will be my first stop in town!

I was talking to a friend about us moving to Clermont. Here she was some sort of Clermont expert, telling me theres no shopping for miles there would be no place for me to get my nails done
I can think of at least six nail places in 34711. There are also at least three places to get a massage, and any number of hair salons.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:13 AM

82 posts, read 204,972 times
I love Clermont...the rolling hills are beautiful and such a nice change of scenery. I haven't met anyone who lives there that doesn't like it. It has developed a lot within the last 10 years so not sure when your friend visited it last, but definitely consider Clermont

Old 05-31-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebSchroeder View Post
I love Clermont...the rolling hills are beautiful and such a nice change of scenery. I haven't met anyone who lives there that doesn't like it. It has developed a lot within the last 10 years so not sure when your friend visited it last, but definitely consider Clermont

The change of scenery is what really has intrigued me! I'm 27 and have lived in Orando all my life (same gose for my husband).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando