Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 06:12 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,644,217 times

Advertisements

i traveled to the new ikea in orlando today (i just moved to new tampa from ohio) and i think i do like orlando. can i hear anyone's opinions as to which they prefer and what the well know differences are (because i am too new to know)? thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 06:34 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,894,521 times
I'm going to make it simple. Orlando pretty much sucks, and Tampa has areas that are pretty nice.

You wouldn't believe the crime in that area by the Ikea. Head further down Conroy, and your basically in the ghetto. It's crazy because in Orlando nowhere is far from one. Not to mention, how was that traffic on Conroy? If someone sneezes I-4 backs up for 20 miles, what did Ikea do for the traffic?

Seminole County is nice though, especially for families. But it's pretty boring.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:14 PM

9 posts, read 34,882 times
Default TPA vs. Orlando

Well, I live in Tampa Bay and am planning on moving to Orlando. There's a reason IKEA came to Orlando instead of Tampa - think about it. People are feeling the bay area and S. FLA for the jobs in Orlando. Also, Tampa is so old and dirty "feeling" compared to the newness of Orlando.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:16 PM

169 posts, read 655,684 times
I just went to IKEA and decided I like Orlando. It sounds like you've researched and found all that is important in an area. Perhaps they should build a new apartment complex across from IKEA and rent 700 ft. apartments for $2500 a month. Don't let the word out, act quickly!!

Old 11-14-2007, 07:19 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,644,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglouix View Post
I just went to IKEA and decided I like Orlando. It sounds like you've researched and found all that is important in an area. Perhaps they should build a new apartment complex across from IKEA and rent 700 ft. apartments for $2500 a month. Don't let the word out, act quickly!!
oh i would LOVE that!

Old 11-14-2007, 08:51 PM

98 posts, read 287,233 times
Tampa: not too crazy with it's appearance. In my opinion, it looks dirty and just kind of old. Bad drivers, crime.

Orlando: Bad drivers, and I mean bad, crime, but prettier aesthetically (I think). Stay in Oviedo, Lake Mary, Winter Springs. I was in the Semoran Boulevard area today, it turned very ghetto, very quickly. I think I even saw signs in Spanish and many were tagged in graffitti. Not pretty.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:59 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,062,645 times
Tampa has more character. It picked up a book of great American cities, and Tampa and Miami are both in there, Orlando isn't. Orlando proper is hardly much of a city.

However, Tampa isn't what I'd consider a highly vibrant city, either. It's got plenty of ghettoes and aside from shipping/port, a declining tobacco industry (small cigar brands, big machine made Havatampas, various bulk pipe tobacco manufactures), and some pool equipment manufacturers, not much of an economy.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:22 AM

561 posts, read 1,922,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
i traveled to the new ikea in orlando today (i just moved to new tampa from ohio) and i think i do like orlando. can i hear anyone's opinions as to which they prefer and what the well know differences are (because i am too new to know)? thanks for any input.
I have heard from people I know that have lived in both cities that they like Tampa a lot better.

Also, I hear IKEA is opening a store in Tampa as well.

UpdateFlorida: Ikea coming to Tampa (http://tallahassee.com/legacy/special/blogs/2007/03/ikea-coming-to-tampa.html - broken link)

Old 11-15-2007, 05:31 AM

169 posts, read 655,684 times
Tampa has real authentic ethnic restaurants: Mexican, Cuban, Good Thai, Bern's Steakhouse and take a drive along the bay, it's beautiful. 20 minutes to the beach, pro football, good adult entertainment. Orlando is a sewer. If your in awe of Lake Eola, you belong here. Orlando has nothing on Tampa.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:42 AM

23 posts, read 135,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglouix View Post
Tampa has real authentic ethnic restaurants: Mexican, Cuban, Good Thai, Bern's Steakhouse and take a drive along the bay, it's beautiful. 20 minutes to the beach, pro football, good adult entertainment. Orlando is a sewer. If your in awe of Lake Eola, you belong here. Orlando has nothing on Tampa.

wow, thats pretty strong words... I really don't agree at all.
well i know there is a tons of great restaurants here, and nightlife? tampa? what ebor??? If your a college kid YEAHHHHHyyyy.... I went there alot 15 years ago when I was a youngin, and it was cool,, but I don't think I would want to go there anymore... as a adult...

tampa is riddled with as much traffic and crime and everything as we are.. no better of worse..

I like orlando over tampa because of the amount of things to do here for kids.
plus we also have beaches very close.
Also is alot cleaner, and in my opinion, easier to get around..
Tampa is very diff to get around, esp in an emergency when they close bridges.. there is not as many smaller highways to get you around faster like 417 408 528 etc. (the tolls stink though)

I lived there and hated it... the ONLY thing I miss is the baseball games at the trop field.. Thats about it.... even the beaches are over run, and not that easy to get to..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando