Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2013, 05:32 PM

13 posts, read 76,549 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I have the possible opportunity to relocate to Florida for a job. The company is located in DeLand. My girlfriend currently lives in Altamonte Springs.

I am 29 years old and looking for a place that has entertainment for 20-somethings or early 30 year olds.

I love the beach, but I am afraid that Daytona is a bit to far from my girlfriend.

Where is a good place to live and commute to DeLand? Is DeLand good itself? I would probably start in an apartment and then find a more permanent place after 6 months or a year.

I own a house here in Ohio, so I would eventually look for a house in Florida.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 06:41 PM

492 posts, read 1,025,516 times
I grew up in DeLand, so I know it well. It is a great town, nice and active (but smallish) downtown. Some museums, live music, decent bars. If you're looking for clubs or anything like that, though, you need to look elsewhere. If you're into wine with friends, maybe with some live music, and you like art festivals and similar events, DeLand will suit you well.

Commuting from Altamonte to DeLand every day will get old quickly. And you are right that Daytona is far for your GF.

Sanford might be worth a look.

Lake Mary is a good place to live, but you'll be traveling to DeLand, Sanford, or Orlando for things to do. If you don't mind doing that, I'd add LM to your list.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:06 AM

27,223 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaNative35 View Post
Lake Mary is a good place to live, but you'll be traveling to DeLand, Sanford, or Orlando for things to do. If you don't mind doing that, I'd add LM to your list.
I agree regarding Lake Mary but am puzzled by the suggestion of having to travel to Sanford for anything to do. Lake Mary has a "number of things to do" and if you're alluding to nightlife will point to the Colonial Town Center complex, an outdoor venue that has a dozen different restaurants/bars and is quite popular at night... particularly on weekends. "Travelling to Sanford" otherwise takes about a few minutes since it borders Lake Mary.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:50 AM

Difference of opinion as to what "nightlife" is, I guess.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:06 AM

Ya know, I was going to let it go, but it puzzles me that you constantly say there's nothing to do in Orlando, but you think Colonial Town Park (which has about as much as most large strip malls have) is adequate "nightlife" for someone. In two blocks on any street in Orlando (Curry Ford, Michigan, 436, Mills, Colonial, not even talking downtown), there's 3 times as much as what you'll find in that place you mentioned. The only exception being a movie theater... but you'll find a billion of those in Orlando, too.

I have nothing against the place. In fact, I think it's cute and I've been there a couple of time. However, there's MUCH more to do in a 6-block area downtown or in Thornton Park than there is there. In any Orlando neighborhood, actually. But if someone asks about one of those places, you've got nothing nice to say.

Lake Mary is absolutely nothing more than a giant suburb. It has zero walkability, not a single attraction I can think of that isn't in every other suburb in the United States, and it is probably beat only by Altamonte when it comes to having the most (and dullest) chains. All things you love to complain about. And, of all the northern suburbs, Lake Mary has the LEAST character and has less to offer. It's a nice place to live and even work for many, but it is ridiculous to pretend it has "nightlife" or culture or anything real to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando