Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 09:34 PM

25 posts, read 60,508 times

Advertisements

First let me start by saying I am a 5th generation Floridian. Born in Everglades in 1971. (Naples actually, Everglades did not have a hospital.) My family came here from Georgia in 1845 when Florida became a state. I know it's humid, I know traffic stinks, I know wages are low, crime is high, and there are too many tourists. I have lived everywhere from Marathon to Defuniak Springs, including Gainesville and Orlando as a child.
But now I am an adult with 2 children, 14 boy, 10 girl. My husband needed to find a new job for his health and he has found 2. One in Orlando, one in Gainesville. Both at the same rate of pay. Now we have a dilemma. Which do we take. I love Gainesville, but my concern is high cost of living and locating employment for myself, bookkeeping office management, I like Orlando also, but the fast pace is a little out of our comfort zone, so here are the specifics.

Married 40 something's
Caucasian
2 kids 14&10
Rent not buy, $1200.00 and under
Husbands work: 4000 block of N Orange Blossom Trail
Need good schools
Decent Neighborhood
Willing to travel an hour to work, would prefer not to
Lower crime
We love to be outdoors, fishing, bikes, beach, camping etc.

If anyone can give me some ideas on locations to look at so I can work on an informed comparison I would really appreciate it. My head is getting ready to explode!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 06:57 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victoria1016 View Post
First let me start by saying I am a 5th generation Floridian. Born in Everglades in 1971. (Naples actually, Everglades did not have a hospital.) My family came here from Georgia in 1845 when Florida became a state. I know it's humid, I know traffic stinks, I know wages are low, crime is high, and there are too many tourists. I have lived everywhere from Marathon to Defuniak Springs, including Gainesville and Orlando as a child.
But now I am an adult with 2 children, 14 boy, 10 girl. My husband needed to find a new job for his health and he has found 2. One in Orlando, one in Gainesville. Both at the same rate of pay. Now we have a dilemma. Which do we take. I love Gainesville, but my concern is high cost of living and locating employment for myself, bookkeeping office management, I like Orlando also, but the fast pace is a little out of our comfort zone, so here are the specifics.

Married 40 something's
Caucasian
2 kids 14&10
Rent not buy, $1200.00 and under
Husbands work: 4000 block of N Orange Blossom Trail
Need good schools
Decent Neighborhood
Willing to travel an hour to work, would prefer not to
Lower crime
We love to be outdoors, fishing, bikes, beach, camping etc.

If anyone can give me some ideas on locations to look at so I can work on an informed comparison I would really appreciate it. My head is getting ready to explode!

Thank you!
The cost of living is higher in Orlando and the unemployment rate is lower in Gainesville. If your husband's job pays the same in both cities and you prefer lower crime/less congestion it seems like a no-brainer to me.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:15 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The cost of living is higher in Orlando and the unemployment rate is lower in Gainesville. If your husband's job pays the same in both cities and you prefer lower crime/less congestion it seems like a no-brainer to me.
Plus gainesville has lots of outdoorsy stuff right nearby. Paynes prarie, Itchetucknee springs etc. Orlando has these things too but not nearly as much or as close.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:08 AM

25 posts, read 60,508 times
That's been my thinking. I lived in Gainesville from 3rd to 8th grade and loved it, but things have changed in 30 years. I don't really think the Orlando area is a fit, I just thought maybe there was somewhere outside of town that might work. It seems like finding a job in Orlando would be easier due to its size, Gainesville has a very small job market and tons of college students to work. After discussing it at lunch I think we are just going to go with our heart and Gainesville, and hope things work ou.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:58 AM

492 posts, read 1,025,516 times
I actually had the same thought about finding a job. It doesn't matter what the unemployment rate is if there's no jobs overall. You will probably have better luck in Orlando. Can you find out what is available in your field before deciding on a location?

Old 09-11-2013, 02:04 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,342,054 times
Obviously your money would go alot further in Gainesville but the trade-off is that jobs may be harder to come by. $1200/month for a 3bd home in good area with good schools is tight budget for Central Florida. The only areas I can think of that are doable are Altamonte Springs, Casselberry, West Sanford, Winter Springs, parts of East Orlando, and maybe Apopka.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:57 PM

492 posts, read 1,025,516 times
Hmmm... It is possible in the Dover Shores, Lake Underhill, Lake Como, and Conway areas. Elementary schools can be dodgy or good in those areas, depending on exactly where you are, but Boone High is good. $1200 is about as low as they go for a 3 bed, though. But they are there.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:16 PM

29 posts, read 31,343 times
Lake Underhill is so nice.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:43 AM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
small town choose gainesville
big town choose orlando

Old 01-09-2014, 05:21 AM

555 posts, read 892,727 times
Which did you choose?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando