Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 06:19 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingofSunshine View Post
Ok, I was confused because you said that was were there were bad areas...but maybe you were referring to certain north end areas?
Yes it's a very large area but the places you mentioned are all nice. Places like pine hills, Forrest city, Lockhart
Parts of sanford, Paramore, south Apopka, parts of winter garden, and parts of Deltona can be a little rough. The point I was trying to make is that the Northside is very "normal". There are good and bad areas. It's not the more fabricated appearance of a a lot of the Southside. It's very organic in its development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 06:41 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorbackFan1 View Post
I lived close but not exactly in Pine Hills. I lived a few blocks east of Edgewater High School where I attended. It's one of Orlando's finest high schools. It was a good neighborhood back in 2005 but I don't know about now. I heard that Orlando is being overtaken by Puerto Ricans that used to be concentrated mainly in Kissimmee and Poinciana during my time there.

Still, Floridians generally are not friendly. I knew a single mother in Orlando who ran out of gas once. Nobody bothered giving her a ride to the nearest gas station. I know the world is full of crazy, dangerous people but the lady had to walk all the way in hot humid weather with her little girl. That would never happen in Missouri, Arkansas, Mississippi, and Tennessee. It doesn't hurt to be considerate and help people out once awhile.
I completely respect your opinion and will not debate you about it. It's interesting how people can have such huge experiences.

I still found Orlando to be one of the friendliest cities I've lived in and traveled too. It was one of the reasons I first moved there because people were mostly friendly and then after living there that feeling didn't go away. I had wonderful neighbors, tourists seemed happy, and never had any real issues going around town.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:36 AM

616 posts, read 1,113,203 times
Another thing no one has mentioned - no state income tax!

Old 02-13-2014, 08:26 AM

19 posts, read 99,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knicksin8 View Post
Understanding that there are many perspectives, I find that there are alot of negative posts about living in Orlando and Florida in general. While I don't doubt there is truth in these posts, there is no perfect place either. Everything is relative and I'm assuming there must be people who have relocated to Orlando and have been happy for many years now.

As a person who is seriously considering a relocation to Orlando from the Northeast, and assuming if one is a professional and can secure a job with a good income, what are some of the pros of living in the orlando metro area?

Any helpful feedback or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
We're from NY and are moving to Orlando soon. DO NOT expect the same income as in the northeast, you will probably earn $20K+ less than your actual income, but I guess it will be reasonable compared to the cost of life and taxes.

Good luck!!

Old 02-13-2014, 11:43 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marg78 View Post
We're from NY and are moving to Orlando soon. DO NOT expect the same income as in the northeast, you will probably earn $20K+ less than your actual income, but I guess it will be reasonable compared to the cost of life and taxes.

Good luck!!
I lived in NY for a few years. Gas taxes, income taxes, and sales tax were all worse. Tolls were also more plentiful although Orlando does have its fair share.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:11 PM

698 posts, read 960,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I still found Orlando to be one of the friendliest cities I've lived in and traveled too.
I agree!

I also agree with the other posters and their list of pros. So much to like!

-I LOVE all the lakes. And some areas especially north of Orlando, have lots of trees
-Lake Eola is just fabulous, so much going on there.
-Always green here

-Maybe it's the sunshine and warm temps that has everyone in a good mood. People are definitely nice here. People actually say good morning when they pass you on the sidewalk

-There's an abundance of nice apartment complexes to choose from AND it's easy to find a place that allows pets. Up north it's almost impossible to find pet friendly housing, especially if you have a dog, even a small dog.

The only thing I disagree on a bit is the cost of housing, if you want to live in a safe area, it's not "cheap"
but cheaper than the NE.

The one thing I do miss: cars stopping for pedestrians. I've noticed here even if a pedestrian is in the crosswalk cars do NOT want to stop

Old 03-03-2014, 01:04 PM

22 posts, read 45,487 times
Having lived in Orlando for 12 years, I can agree with most of the positive comments about the area. Personally, I prefer Seminole County which includes Altamonte Springs, Maitland, Longwood and some of Winter Park. There is a lot to do there and many world-class restaurants as well as upscale shopping.

IMO, real estate in the area has always been overpriced. There are lots of 1950's/60's homes that have not been updated, but are put on the market at a premium price because they are in a desirable location.

I did not have issues with low salaries since I worked for Lockheed Martin, which is one of the largest/top paying employers in the area.

I have been considering moving back, especially since I now live in South Mississippi, which is another discussion.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:56 PM

25 posts, read 53,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Many cultural things to do.
Yeah, do you mind telling me 'the many cultural things you can do' in Florida?

Old 03-06-2014, 07:07 PM

626 posts, read 976,196 times
We lived in southern California twice (hated it) very anonymous society, Dallas, Chicago, Wyoming and a vacation condo in Vail Valley and we like Orlando the BEST! Agree with BMW and MrKnight, etc.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:50 PM

28 posts, read 37,308 times
I moved from Brooklyn NY to Downtown Orlando, and have to say I love NY due to the fact I can find stuff to do like hanging out to drink without having to drive, one think I can say is you can't take NY life with you, it is very diff in FL, and yes others will have both good and bad stuff to say but you have to try it and see... I will not lie at times I would fly up to NY to hang out with friends and fam, but ok is very slow and if you don't have a job where u can take with you, think about it really hard. I work from home so that is why I did pack up and leave NY....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando