Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 12:15 PM

151 posts, read 227,453 times

Advertisements

Hello all... I've been doing a lot of research but wanted to reach out for some specific points of view. I currently live in Las Vegas where I have been for the last five years. Next year, I plan on leaving this city for a place where I can settle in. I'm single, 27 and I work in an industry where you typically need to be close to a major metropolitan area in order to find work. I have narrowed my field down to Atlanta and Orlando, but I am honestly torn. I have visited both places, but I wanted to ask anyone out there who has spent considerable time in both places for an opinion. A little compare and contrast. What little quirks do these two places have, etc. I love Atlanta because of the contrast between the forestry and urban environments. There is a lot to do there and it is a fun town with a lot of people. Orlando is appealing to me due the proximity to the ocean. And it would be a nice break from the fast pace of Las Vegas. Both cities posses fantastic career opportunities for me, with Orlando having a slight edge. I would appreciate any comments. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 12:24 PM

169 posts, read 655,840 times
Atlanta wins hands down in every possible category imaginable with the exception of proximity to a beach. The price to pay for that is living in a flat, ugly, characterless, cultureless, cesspool with 300 days of summer and rampant crime. The hot season even far exceeds Las Vegas because the humidity is so high you can rarely if ever not use your air conditioner. We had a cool week in early November but my AC has been on for the last 15 days and will be on until at least next Tuesday and on at certain points every month of the year. There is no reason anyone should ever consider moving to Orlando, if you are there are several misconceptions floating around your head.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:35 PM

164 posts, read 652,729 times
I also would pick Atlanta just a better place to live imho I am thinking myself to move up there we been in Orlando for 15 yrs and want to move.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:30 PM

765 posts, read 2,638,144 times
I would pick Atlanta.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:57 PM

640 posts, read 3,075,853 times
To the King - I've read most of your posts and you are the last person who should be lending this pour soul any constructive criticism about Orlando. You are obviously pretty skewed on many of your central Florida observations. It's very obvious you hate your life here, but cut the guy some slack. Both Atlanta or Orlando could be a great choice for him but since you do not know this person, his lifestyle or his financial situation, it's really not fair to be so blatantly slaughter Orlando to this guy who is just looking for basic information, not your rant (which seems to be on most posts).

Matt - there are P-L-E-N-T-Y of people who love central Florida. You do have to be very knowledgable about where to live however because there are some very nice places and A LOT of not so nice places. You have to work, play, shop and live in the NICE areas. I do agree there are some negatives about Orlando living. One is the traffic and infrastructure and second has been the increase of crime over the past 3 years. Rome wasn't built in a day and Orlando has been going through a lot of growing pains. There are some positives too. Close to both coasts and their beaches, beautiful weather depending on what you like of course. November through April is in my opinion, awesome. There's lots of night life for someone your age. It's true, there isn't a lot of culture here but come on, it's Orlando for heavens sake. It's tourist central and theme park capital. We do have broadway plays at the Carr center and headlining concert acts at the Amway Arena and the new UCF Arena, the House of Blues, the Hard Rock, to name a few. There are plenty of surrounding communities that you could really love. Winter Park, Lake Mary, Lake Nona, Waterford Lakes, too many to name. It's hardly a cesspool here. I will say though do not come without a job or with little cash in your pocket.

It is HOT here, but 300 days a year is a gross exaggeration. It is humid and you do need your air conditioning a lot. Pretty much like a northern city, you need air or you need heat. What's the difference if you like living here. You're young; you can try it to see if you like it. No one says you have to make the perfect decision on what is right for you the first time. If you don't like it here, move. If you don't like it in Atlanta, try something else. Hopefully you are polling the people on the Atlanta boards too. From my experience, there are negative posters on every state board so make sure you make your decisions on hard facts and not what any of us say on these message boards.

I wish I new more about Atlanta to help you out. I have heard great things about it but I've also heard the traffic is terrible. What major city doesn't have horrible traffic!

Good luck with your decision!

Old 11-30-2007, 05:27 PM

169 posts, read 655,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenAroundTheBlock View Post
To the King - I've read most of your posts and you are the last person who should be lending this pour soul any constructive criticism about Orlando. You are obviously pretty skewed on many of your central Florida observations. It's very obvious you hate your life here, but cut the guy some slack. Both Atlanta or Orlando could be a great choice for him but since you do not know this person, his lifestyle or his financial situation, it's really not fair to be so blatantly slaughter Orlando to this guy who is just looking for basic information, not your rant (which seems to be on most posts).

Matt - there are P-L-E-N-T-Y of people who love central Florida. You do have to be very knowledgable about where to live however because there are some very nice places and A LOT of not so nice places. You have to work, play, shop and live in the NICE areas. I do agree there are some negatives about Orlando living. One is the traffic and infrastructure and second has been the increase of crime over the past 3 years. Rome wasn't built in a day and Orlando has been going through a lot of growing pains. There are some positives too. Close to both coasts and their beaches, beautiful weather depending on what you like of course. November through April is in my opinion, awesome. There's lots of night life for someone your age. It's true, there isn't a lot of culture here but come on, it's Orlando for heavens sake. It's tourist central and theme park capital. We do have broadway plays at the Carr center and headlining concert acts at the Amway Arena and the new UCF Arena, the House of Blues, the Hard Rock, to name a few. There are plenty of surrounding communities that you could really love. Winter Park, Lake Mary, Lake Nona, Waterford Lakes, too many to name. It's hardly a cesspool here. I will say though do not come without a job or with little cash in your pocket.

It is HOT here, but 300 days a year is a gross exaggeration. It is humid and you do need your air conditioning a lot. Pretty much like a northern city, you need air or you need heat. What's the difference if you like living here. You're young; you can try it to see if you like it. No one says you have to make the perfect decision on what is right for you the first time. If you don't like it here, move. If you don't like it in Atlanta, try something else. Hopefully you are polling the people on the Atlanta boards too. From my experience, there are negative posters on every state board so make sure you make your decisions on hard facts and not what any of us say on these message boards.

I wish I new more about Atlanta to help you out. I have heard great things about it but I've also heard the traffic is terrible. What major city doesn't have horrible traffic!

Good luck with your decision!
What wonderful advise, I wish I had a big brother like this. You'll basically hate it here but your young and can always move.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:27 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,963,479 times
You posted only two good things you like about orlando and several about atlanta just by that alone you should go to atlanta.

I like orlando just fine it has it`s problems but alot of places do. I don`t like cold climates so for me atlanta would not happen.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:18 PM

58 posts, read 51,707 times
atlanta over orlando. better weather, friendlier ppl, probably better pay in atlanta too.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:23 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando'an View Post
atlanta over orlando. better weather, friendlier ppl, probably better pay in atlanta too.
Better weather is subjective, but I have to agree with everything else. Also if you can believe it, Atlanta probably has a worse summer than Orlando. The worst in the country, they don't call it Hotlanta for nothin! One other advantage Orlando does have over Atlanta is air quality. Atlanta's air is absolutely disgusting. Orlando has very clean air at least 90% of days by EPA stats and it's record breaking days can't even come close to an average summer day in Atlanta.

Other than that, sorry, Atlanta wins hands down. Same bad traffic, same crappy schools, same sky high crime, but Atlanta just offers more culture, a real "city" feel, lots of greenery, more high quality jobs (although the OP did mention HIS opportunities being greater in ORL), more affordable housing, nicer people. It just plain wins.But it just seems like everything is four hours away in Atlanta with all of the traffic and sprawl. That city sprawls like no other. Orlando is very bad in this category too. Really just on a smaller scale.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:33 PM

9 posts, read 34,891 times
Default Not that different

First, Kinglouix should move if he hates Orlando so much. I hear there are not traffic jams, crime, or black and brown people in Nebraska. Of course there are no jobs let alone any thing to do!

Second, I have lived in Atlanta, and spend a lot of time with family (and seriously considering moving to Orlando) and they are not that different. The main difference - no cold in the winter in Orlando as Atlanta can have some pretty decent cold snaps if that matters to you. Atlanta has more traditional older style architecture while Orlando has a contemporary Florida style feel. Both have plenty to do, but A-town for sure has a more international big city flava. I miss Atlanta, but love palm tress more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando