Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 06:22 PM

5 posts, read 5,157 times

Advertisements

Thinking about moving to Orlando, Florida this summer. Have three kids and all of them will have to be in different schools: elementary, middle and high. Everywhere I research like greatschools.org website shows schools in Florida are not that great. I wonder how it is compared to different states. I mean our public system is not great every where.... Is greatschools website is credential source? All I hear from my friends that Florida public system is one of the worst in the nations. I need your help deciding if this is really the case. I am planning to move from Washington state. Thank you for your inputs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 08:38 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,364,817 times
Well, the GreatSchools website is the only website that provides detailed information about local schools (but there might be other websites, idk). It provides school test grades, demographic information, etc.

According to this website:
http://www.edweek.org/ew/qc/2014/sta...ort_cards.html

Florida took a nosedive in school rankings. Your state seems to rank better. But if you still plan on coming down here, at least consider the Greatschools website. It's not like there ISN'T good schools in Florida.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:58 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
I have a hard time justifying the accuracy of a ranking system where Florida went from 5th to 8th, then to 34th in the course of three years. Test scores have been improving as have graduation rates (up 34% since last year). I realize the state has a long way to go but it certainly hasn't dissolved as the rankings would lead you to believe.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irinagiv View Post
Thinking about moving to Orlando, Florida this summer. Have three kids and all of them will have to be in different schools: elementary, middle and high. Everywhere I research like greatschools.org website shows schools in Florida are not that great. I wonder how it is compared to different states. I mean our public system is not great every where.... Is greatschools website is credential source? All I hear from my friends that Florida public system is one of the worst in the nations. I need your help deciding if this is really the case. I am planning to move from Washington state. Thank you for your inputs.
Check out the Lake Mary/Sanford, Oviedo and Winter Park school districts where all three levels are "A"-rated and well-documented as quality schools.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:48 AM

995 posts, read 1,695,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Check out the Lake Mary/Sanford, Oviedo and Winter Park school districts where all three levels are "A"-rated and well-documented as quality schools.
We always forget the A rated downtown Orlando district; Boone/Blankner.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:42 PM

166 posts, read 384,822 times
Quote:
While the overall Seminole County school district is A rated, only a little more than half of the individual schools therein are A rated. The others vary from B to D rated, including schools in Lake Mary (some B rated), Sanford (2/3 are B to D rated), and Oviedo (some B rated).

Old 03-29-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consigliere View Post
While the overall Seminole County school district is A rated, only a little more than half of the individual schools therein are A rated. The others vary from B to D rated, including schools in Lake Mary (some B rated), Sanford (2/3 are B to D rated), and Oviedo (some B rated).
That's mostly within the last year when the test scoring criteria changed and some schools previously rated as "A" became "B" and some "B" into "C". Higher performing schools were rewarded with higher goals to achieve and it's not a case where suddenly many were hit with the dumb stick. Unfortunately no one really delved into the change in scores from 2012 to 2013 in terms of enlightening the public, with asterisks and further explanation in the results column for instance.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:26 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
That's mostly within the last year when the test scoring criteria changed and some schools previously rated as "A" became "B" and some "B" into "C". Higher performing schools were rewarded with higher goals to achieve and it's not a case where suddenly many were hit with the dumb stick. Unfortunately no one really delved into the change in scores from 2012 to 2013 in terms of enlightening the public, with asterisks and further explanation in the results column for instance.
Exactly. It defies logic why people post "answers" and "info" when they don't know what's going on.

For example the change in ratings to force a lower rating based on some new nebulous criteria of "likely hood of success" or some crap (I forget the exact wording).

NY scores dropped, TOO.

It was PREDICTED and expected due to the NEW [everything]. In order to prepare for Common Core.

Quote:
Grades were expected to fall as a result of myriad changes to the grading formula and higher testing standards implemented statewide. There were 19 changes to the state accountability system last year, plus 13 this year
Vero Beach 32963 - Vero Beachside Newspaper - Vero Beach News - Serving Zip 32963 - Beachland loses its ?A? grade; principal vows to get it back

No Treasure Coast middle or elementary school improved its grade | Grades database, Video » TCPalm.com

https://stateimpact.npr.org/florida/...ion-standards/

Old 03-30-2014, 10:49 AM

5 posts, read 5,157 times
Thank you all. There is so much conflicting information and it is so hard to make a decision. I don't want to live in a very rural place, at the same time I want my kids to get good education.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:12 AM

995 posts, read 1,695,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irinagiv View Post
Thank you all. There is so much conflicting information and it is so hard to make a decision. I don't want to live in a very rural place, at the same time I want my kids to get good education.
I would consider the Winter Park (Glenridge middle, Winter Park high) or Delaney Park (Blankner / Boone) areas if you want good public schools in an urban setting.

There are also good private schools in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando