Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 12:57 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,333,337 times

Advertisements

Hi Orlando, happened to notice this. FYI, your news source is citing old info. Similar was caught on a Tampa thread.

Your "news" source is citing The Most Traffic-Congested Cities In North America - Forbes which is in turn citing a 2012 tomtom car navigation survey so the information is likely from 2011 at best as they last published their latest annual report in 2012 (copyrighted 2013) based upon previously gathered info.

So this "news" could be about 3 years old. Here is their full report http://www.tomtom.com/lib/doc/traffi...ual-NAM-km.pdf

A poster in the similar Tampa thread //www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...h-america.html suggested this site instead which places Tampa at 24th currently, instead of the outdated sources' indication of being 12th...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher23 View Post
Maybe something more recent would suffice instead of trying to find yet another negative thing about the area?

The most recent information is on this site, ranks us 24th out of top 25 and it breaks each city down in detail with hours wasted in traffic

http://scorecard.inrix.com/scorecard/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 02:30 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I know, I don't get it. These people would be sobbing like little girls if they had to deal with DC/Northern Virginia traffic on a daily basis.
No kidding. Or LA. Or Atlanta. Or NYC/Northern NJ.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:16 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Traffic congestion is a direct result of overpopulation. They can build or expand the highways any which way they choose, but congested traffic will continue to be. Orlando traffic was hellish 15 years ago and has only gotten worse.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:03 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
No kidding. Or LA. Or Atlanta. Or NYC/Northern NJ.
I was in NYC two weeks ago, it was rough from what I could see. Luckily I was on the subway, bus or Metro-North whenever I needed getting around

Old 04-09-2014, 07:12 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Traffic congestion is a direct result of overpopulation. They can build or expand the highways any which way they choose, but congested traffic will continue to be. Orlando traffic was hellish 15 years ago and has only gotten worse.
TX has a lot of big high-growth cities too and they don't have the same traffic issues.... they simply have better and more roads. Orlando literally has the same artery it's had for decades, with minimal additions. I-4 with 3 lanes each way was woefully inadequate a decade or two ago, now it's just a sick joke.

The 417/429 beltways aren't close enough to the I-4 core to be meaningful to the parts of the Orlando MSA that really need the relief. Hopefully the addition of lanes, even if they are tolled, will alleviate the congestion somewhat.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:41 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
I wonder how much of this based on driver opinions because anytime I talk to my Tampa friends about traffic they make it seem like they live in LA, than I mention Orlando and they ask me I haven't killed myself yet.
And yet, you have someone from Tampa just a few posts up saying that traffic isn't that bad here.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:19 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,364,817 times
Well, the "I-4 Ultimate Project" will begin next year:

I-4 Ultimate Project | Moving-4-Ward

The website says that the estimated completion year is 2021. We can only wonder what effects this will have on traffic, especially with a growing population and growing tourist numbers.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:43 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
Well, the "I-4 Ultimate Project" will begin next year:

I-4 Ultimate Project | Moving-4-Ward

The website says that the estimated completion year is 2021. We can only wonder what effects this will have on traffic, especially with a growing population and growing tourist numbers.
I think it's going to be horrific given the lack of alternate routes and how easily I-4 crawls to a standstill with someone changing a flat tire, let alone lane closures or construction elements such as barricades and whatnot.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:08 PM

388 posts, read 790,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I know, I don't get it. These people would be sobbing like little girls if they had to deal with DC/Northern Virginia traffic on a daily basis.
true story!

Old 04-13-2014, 07:32 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
TX has a lot of big high-growth cities too and they don't have the same traffic issues.... they simply have better and more roads. Orlando literally has the same artery it's had for decades, with minimal additions. I-4 with 3 lanes each way was woefully inadequate a decade or two ago, now it's just a sick joke.

The 417/429 beltways aren't close enough to the I-4 core to be meaningful to the parts of the Orlando MSA that really need the relief. Hopefully the addition of lanes, even if they are tolled, will alleviate the congestion somewhat.
Are you crazy?! Houston, Dallas, and even Austin all have it way worse than Orlando, and they don't even have the 59 million tourists a year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando