Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 10:24 PM

13 posts, read 70,811 times

Advertisements

Okay, here's probably a stupid one for you locals. We are looking in Windermere, Butler Chain of Lakes etc....We have small kids and grew up on the Great Lakes, swim without a care....SO my question is, can kids swim in that lake? Wakeboard sure, but can they swim for shore? Jump off the dock? Im guessing not. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 04:33 AM

35,667 posts, read 21,030,020 times
i am all against lake swimming because of the heat.. I rem many parks would close the swimming as bacteria grows really fast. There will be arguments against it, but my recollections say dangerous.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:47 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,508,237 times
No, not really. Gators nest close to shore. As the above poster stated, amoeba in the water when it's warm are basically a guaranteed death if they get inside you. Cottonmouth snakes swim and tend to live by lakes, they are extremely venomous.

Stick to pools, natural springs (cold water isn't great for gators and amoeba), and the ocean.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:29 AM

Wow, no fun, thanks for the info!

Old 06-16-2014, 10:18 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonaguy12 View Post
Wow, no fun, thanks for the info!
Even water skiing and wake boarding can be a problem when it comes to the amoeba. Use a dorky looking nose plug and keep water out of mouth, etc.
There have only been 32 documented cases off the amoeba, but all died. One of the first was our friend's son back in about 1983. She had even called the county to see if the lake was safe and they had actually checked it the day before. If the air temps get to 90 stay out of lakes, pond, and even rivers. Do not stir up the bottom. Safer in salt water or pools.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:24 PM

220 posts, read 417,732 times
Not sure about the amoeba thing but so many people swim in lakes in Florida year round and rarely encounter an alligator or snake. They tend to stay away from any human activity and in general are scared of the noises watercraft and lots of kids make. We have swam in our parents lake house with hundreds of kids for the last 30 years. I guess just make sure you pick the right lakes (example Lake Istokpoga about 2 hours south of Orlando is an alligator lake and no one would ever swim there).

Old 06-17-2014, 08:41 AM

Thanks all! Wow that Amoeba thing is scary for sure, will take caution.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:20 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,171 times
But back to the original question, about alligators: I've always been told that in Florida, the safest thing to do is to assume that any body of water larger than a puddle has at least one alligator in it. This includes water hazards on golf courses. Please don't let your kids or pets play near the shore of a lake, large or small.

Stick to swimming pools or the ocean. (But then there was the time my son swam in the ocean and got stung by a jellyfish and the other time my husband swam in the ocean and suffered a horrible attack of sea lice! )

Old 06-17-2014, 04:34 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
But back to the original question, about alligators: I've always been told that in Florida, the safest thing to do is to assume that any body of water larger than a puddle has at least one alligator in it. This includes water hazards on golf courses. Please don't let your kids or pets play near the shore of a lake, large or small.

Stick to swimming pools or the ocean. (But then there was the time my son swam in the ocean and got stung by a jellyfish and the other time my husband swam in the ocean and suffered a horrible attack of sea lice! )
If the pool is not screened and you live near a lake etc, check the pool before jumping in too. They have been known to use our pools, too.

They check the pools at Disney Water Parks before opening to guests every morning for snakes and gators. Even th magic Kingdom has had them in the water right next to the Splash Mountain ride while people were riding it.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:23 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
I grew up on Lake Brantley and never had a problem despite knowing for sure there were gators there.

Like others here, I was more worried about an ameoba, or moccasin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando