Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 02:39 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,983 times

Advertisements

So this is the beginning of my 5th year in Orlando. Quiet honestly, once things line up for us (2-3 years) we will be moving somewhere with a better climate. The heat is tolerable, but for so many months it becomes depressing.

I'm wondering what you families with young children do in the summer. We just had a baby and are looking for activities, but it's impossible to be outdoors. She sweats in the car seat, if I carry her in a carrier then we're both uncomfortable. What we end up doing is strolling the mall or one of the museums or large stores just to get out of the house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 05:06 PM

492 posts, read 1,025,227 times
Babies can be hard. But an infant would also be difficult in a colder climate during the winter.

KIDS are easy.

Splash pads are great. Free or cheap, good for kids too young to swim. Parents can play, too, or rest on a shady bunch while little ones play. Summer Fun: Orlando Splash Pads

If you have older kids AND an infant, bring a blanket and let the baby hang out in the shade while the older kids play in the splash pad.

For swimmers, there's public pools and a billion springs and state parks for cooling down. Ditto the blanket idea if the older kids can swim without you in the water with them.

Some places, like the History Center in downtown, offer affordable (and educational) summer camp programs, so you can spend time in the AC with the baby.

Also, evening activities are a good idea... after the afternoon rains. Maybe mini golf (you can also do this inside), art classes (good even for 2 or 3 year olds with baby watching), etc. Plus, the Y offers fun child care AND kiddie stuff while mom works out! Not sure what ages, though.

If you're really looking for activities FOR an infant, I'm not sure what to recommend. What would you be doing if the weather was nice? Strolling around outside? Doesn't seem much better than strolling around a museum to me.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:24 AM

27,216 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaNative35 View Post
Babies can be hard. But an infant would also be difficult in a colder climate during the winter.
Actually it's much easier than someplace very hot like here. One simply dresses them in layers and they're fine save the extremely cold weather a few weeks of the year. It sure beats the several months of intolerable heat here. Plus one doesn't necessarily have to move that far north to eliminate the long summers. Northern GA/SC for example has four distinct seasons without extreme summers and winters.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:35 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
The "intolerable" heat is merely an opinion, I know plenty of people who's kids do just fine playing outside during summer.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:13 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Actually it's much easier than someplace very hot like here. One simply dresses them in layers and they're fine save the extremely cold weather a few weeks of the year. It sure beats the several months of intolerable heat here. Plus one doesn't necessarily have to move that far north to eliminate the long summers. Northern GA/SC for example has four distinct seasons without extreme summers and winters.
Everywhere along the coast has some extreme summer days, even NYC. Ever been there on a heatwave day?

Old 07-18-2014, 09:12 AM

64 posts, read 110,107 times
To me it was just a matter of doing things at different times of the day. I always took my kids for walks early in the morning when the weather was cooler. The middle of the day was for lunch, naps, and an indoor activity. Then in the evening we were back outside again.

We also used to made use out of splash areas, museums, etc.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:34 AM

27,216 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Everywhere along the coast has some extreme summer days, even NYC. Ever been there on a heatwave day?
Of course they do and yes I have. The point is they last for a few days at a time usually versus 5 straight months here.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Of course they do and yes I have. The point is they last for a few days at a time usually versus 5 straight months here.
Yes this is my point. When we lived back in CT/NJ, it was understood that for July/August, you did indoor things or water things or stayed inside. To do that for 5-7 months out of the year is depressing. I want to be able to take a walk with her in the stroller outside. I find the mornings too hot, even before 9 and the evenings are OK but only after 6 or 7. Being able to go to a park outdoors is SO much better than strolling around the Florida Mall.

We tried going to the springs and having her under the shade. It was way too hot. We got there at 8:30am and by 11 I was ready to leave - it was stuffy and unbearable being outside any longer.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
The "intolerable" heat is merely an opinion, I know plenty of people who's kids do just fine playing outside during summer.
I understand but I can't bear being outside during the day in this heat. Opinion or not, it holds true for me. After about 20 minutes I start to feel sick.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:51 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
I understand but I can't bear being outside during the day in this heat. Opinion or not, it holds true for me. After about 20 minutes I start to feel sick.
Fair enough. Move to the PNW or Cali then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: