Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 03:49 PM

8 posts, read 54,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
If fees are continuing to go up you as a homeowner and HOA member have the right to see all the contracts the board has with vendors and review the HOA spending practices. It could be that your HOA board or management company is mis-managing funds or doesn’t take low bids or in the worst case giving contracts to friends and relatives. HOA fees should go up a little each year due to raising cost of utilities and services. Contracts with vendors should be reviewed and negotiated yearly and if you find a vendor that does a good job negotiate a long term contract of several years to get a lower price. I’m very involved in my HOA and was instrumental in our fees going down two years in a row by becoming active in my HOA and took over the process of biding on maintenance contracts and got homeowners who are trades people to bid on work or volunteer their services to help keep cost down. If homeowners are not active in the HOA prices will creep up. We also saved by cutting down on landscaping and watering and sponsored community events to plant seasonal plants, put down mulch, paint walls and fences and cleanup common areas. Homeowners must go to board meetings and ask a lot of questions and keep the board on there toes and make them justify everything they approve.
Thankyou for your help. I really appreciate it. I have talked to them about getting rid of the grass to save water. I've talked to them about putting rock in instead of grass so we save money on landscapers and water etc. and you know what? They completly ignore me all the time. They tell me grass looks better than rock. I tell them no it doesn't, if we have dirt for grass. We don't have grass half the time. It's dirt. I can't get them to listen. It's a no win situation with them. I wish we had the money to sue them. I'm at my wits end over this. Thanyou for listening to my complaining and helping. Thankyou, Debbie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 10:04 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,211,630 times
I really don't understand why we have to pay HOAs. As long as they have their rules, its okay. Everybody should be responsible for the own electric or water independently and not have any HOA fees at all.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:27 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,429,938 times
There are times I find mine a problem but in my neighborhood, we have a pool and pool house so our fees go to pay for that which is good. I don't have the money to put in a pool or take care of it each month, my HOA fees are only $95, 4 times a year.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:41 AM

25 posts, read 161,727 times
Default HOA's are good

HOA’s can be good and preserve the esthetics of the neighborhood and keep it from getting run down. Unfortunately anytime you give people power and authority it goes to their head and gets out of control. I think the state should make it mandatory that all new board members take a state sponsored training cause to train board members how to do their jobs. Most Florida HOA’s have managers who are licensed by the department of professional regulation but the board still calls all the shots

Old 01-23-2008, 07:30 AM

8 posts, read 54,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
There are times I find mine a problem but in my neighborhood, we have a pool and pool house so our fees go to pay for that which is good. I don't have the money to put in a pool or take care of it each month, my HOA fees are only $95, 4 times a year.
I sure wish our fees were that low. We have a community pool also and we pay 1,500.00 a year. It's just getting unbelievable and it will keep going up. Does anyone know of who I can talk to about this because talking to the HOA members does no good. Thank you

Old 01-23-2008, 02:41 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,429,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
I sure wish our fees were that low. We have a community pool also and we pay 1,500.00 a year. It's just getting unbelievable and it will keep going up. Does anyone know of who I can talk to about this because talking to the HOA members does no good. Thank you
WOW, that is high. I have a friend who lives in Heathrow, they have the Nazis at the gate kind of set up among everything else and they pay a HUGE amount per month. I am glad to have the pool because I don't have 40 grand to lay down on a pool at the moment.

Old 01-26-2008, 01:50 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,531,714 times
I have no problem with our HOA fees......where I am we get a lot for them..3 activity centers, pools hot tubs, tennis, pickleball, etc,etc,etc......

Just one idea that has not been suggested yet........

I am also a shift worker.....I now live in the country, so I have no noise problems.....but when I lived in the city, I did.

You can and should consider doing some minor changes in your sleeping area to improve sound transmission. There is some good info online about it. Installing soundboard, insulating behind receptacles, etc,etc, can GREATLY improve keeping the sound down.

A recent episode of "Holmes on homes" did this in an apartment....the neighbor had the stereo BLARING next door......after improvements, you could not even hear the stereo.....it was unbelievable.

It's the solution that YOU have control over, and will outlast any neighbor.

Just my 2 cents......

Frank D.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:46 AM

93 posts, read 403,787 times
Default HOA and your rights

You need to get involved in your HOAs. You are entitled to the contracts, bids, etc. Get a copy of your yearly budget, your monthly reports, your financials, etc. Break them apart, etc. By law, in FL, homeowners can request to be placed on the agenda and address the board. Some boards will try and squash your right.

You have the right to video tape or record any and all meetings. The meetings need to be posted 48 hrs. in advance, or they are illegal. They only meeting you cannot attend is with a lawyer for certain issues.

Check Florida Statutes 720 that gives you all your rights, so that the boards cannot lie through their teeth.

Cyber Citizens for Justice is a great organization with lots of info on HOAs and they are having some meetings throughout FL this month to address all these issues. This past week there were hearings regarding all HOAs and managing companies and our state reps got an earful. They were overwhelmed by the amount of people that showed up, so they know it is a big issue and not a minor thing as they were led to believe.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:52 AM

5 posts, read 29,600 times
I say shoot the dog and put it out of its misery, or call the pound to come pick it up, or even yet, drop it off somewhere yourself....... Of course i'm kidding about the first one, but sometimes i'm tempted to shoot our dog that barks early in the mornings!

Old 02-12-2008, 12:16 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,211,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianomom View Post
I say shoot the dog and put it out of its misery, or call the pound to come pick it up, or even yet, drop it off somewhere yourself....... Of course i'm kidding about the first one, but sometimes i'm tempted to shoot our dog that barks early in the mornings!
Thats okay, I'm moving soon. I'm tired of trying to make Florida work for me. When you get something fixed another situation pops up. Orlando sucks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: