Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2014, 11:19 AM

2 posts, read 2,261 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Orlando within 6 months and was looking for some feedback abot the 32834 and 32837 zipcodes. I am looking at houses with a pool and at townhouses with a resort style community pool.

What are the monthly costs to maintain a pool year round in FL?

What are the pros and cons of owning a townhouse (Brand New) in FL? Are they harder to resell? I know the HOA fees can be high due to the ammenities.

Any feedback would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 05:17 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,791,155 times
I think those areas are ok from looking at them and you have a lot of options for living that type of lifestyle and if may suggest Celebration fl. Its a nice family oriented community with a nice town center and has that lifestyle your looking for. Lake Nona is a newish community full of professionals but it has nice amenities so check out that area as well . As far the pool goes I'm not really sure about that nor about owing a townhome so you have to wait till someone responds.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:56 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Neither zip code seems to have a commonality in terms of location (32834 being on the east side and 32487 on the south side), and neither are among the most highly sought after though certainly not near the bottom either. Where will you be working in the Orlando area? This area has quite a bit of sprawl and not the best highway infrastructure, so it's important to be certain you're in an area convenient to work in my opinion. Monthly costs to maintain a pool in Florida averages around $100 a month. Townhomes can have high resale demand but the monthly condo fee (not HOA) can be quite expensive ($300+ per month) due to the cost of not only common ground maintenance (landscaping) but also amenities such as pools and other public use areas, insurance and even security. The gamble with new construction if you plan to stay awhile is that you don't know how upkeep is going to continue. Some communities maintain a desirable appearance while others do not. The advantage to a well-kept established older community is that you buy into an in-demand property that will keep/increase in value, versus the unknowns of a brand new one. There are many examples of new gone bad in this area, so it is in fact a gamble.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:30 PM

536 posts, read 853,012 times
I was a pool builder in LA, CA for 2 decades. Owning a pool is like owning a boat. Be prepared to spend, & don't expect to come anywhere near breaking even.

It's going to cost at least an extra $100 a month in electricity, depending on how big the pool is, which determines the number of hours the pump has to run daily to achieve at least one complete turnover. Then factor in a serviceman, or your own labor & chemicals.

Heating your pool in the colder months will add up even more.

I love using my new HOA paid heated pool & spa. No muss, no fuss, & it's always ready to go.

Many of the new home communities here in Orlando feature heated pools. I think you come out ahead going that direction, in the long run.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:53 PM

17,204 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerHarry View Post
I was a pool builder in LA, CA for 2 decades. Owning a pool is like owning a boat. Be prepared to spend, & don't expect to come anywhere near breaking even.

It's going to cost at least an extra $100 a month in electricity, depending on how big the pool is, which determines the number of hours the pump has to run daily to achieve at least one complete turnover. Then factor in a serviceman, or your own labor & chemicals.

Heating your pool in the colder months will add up even more.

I love using my new HOA paid heated pool & spa. No muss, no fuss, & it's always ready to go.

Many of the new home communities here in Orlando feature heated pools. I think you come out ahead going that direction, in the long run.
You just don't have much privacy in community pools, though. Some of us do enjoy the privacy of a personal pool. I, personally, love to lounge with my wife by the pool. Being that it's in our back yard, we can get much more comfortable than, say, at the community pool where kids and elderly hang.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:29 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
You just don't have much privacy in community pools, though. Some of us do enjoy the privacy of a personal pool. I, personally, love to lounge with my wife by the pool. Being that it's in our back yard, we can get much more comfortable than, say, at the community pool where kids and elderly hang.
I'm with you on this one, but I also know people that don't want to deal with pool maintenance or hiring a person to maintain their pool, so I see both sides. I personally like having the privacy of my own pool. It shows how spoiled people are in Orlando when we are talking about whether we want a community pool or a private pool lol.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:58 AM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
A small pool is great- seen some smaller homes with Olympic size pools and wonder who sold them that? I like my privacy but mostly its from my grands - don't like the ol geezers looking at my gals.. and for some reason every smoker in the world shows up in the community pools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: