Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 07:10 PM

517 posts, read 1,092,480 times

Advertisements

Oops--I have a rather embarrassing (maybe even a bit shocking) confession to make to my fellow year-round Floridians:

[Insert drum roll audio file here]

That is just me you've been hearing with all the the horn honking.

Yep, sad to have to own up to it, but probably a good 99% of the instances, if not 100%, have been yours truly.

I'm fine when traffic is normal (April-October), but my horn gets a major workout November to March. Bit of a Jekyll and Hyde thing going on there--traffic moves and I'm Jekyll; traffic jams up and I turn into Hyde.

I go through at least a dozen car horns a season. My mechanic is quite fond of my Hyde persona (though I suspect he doesn't have a lot of company in this). However, he has requested I work on trying to swap out the seasons (make it Jekyll-winter, Hyde-summer) as off-season is the time when he really needs all the extra business. (He doesn't understand me. No one does. It's a curse.)

Anyway, sorry, everyone (for the horn honking and the confusion). I will try to do better!!!

And a special apology to all the tourists and part-year residents who have taken the heat for my (again, very embarrassing--plan to mend my ways, really!) transgressions. (Jekyll side much appreciates your forbearance! ) (Hyde is thinking enough with the keyboarding; time to take another spin. )

Last edited by City__Datarer; 12-13-2014 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: Spelled one of my names wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 11:18 AM

433 posts, read 1,012,013 times
Being from NE I must say that the worst are thevisitors or recent transplants. New Jersey, New York are the most annoying/arrogant/go go go. After that the further north you get the more reasonable.

Up north there's just no value in common courtesy. Get to know someone though and they are a reliable friend who has your back.Doesnt mean they will be. polite to you. Messing around with each other is like bonding.

Down here there is a base level of common courtesy and respect. There are social rules. That is first and foremost. Follow them and find people like you and you can form an alliance. Doesn't mean your friends though. Especially if they perceive you as different. Up north that stuff doesn't matter. Its more about how much **** you have been through together, toughness, ectect.

The cultures really are more different than they get credit for. I've come to appreciate the common courtesy down here. Don't much care for the judgementalness though.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:39 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
but theyre bringing all that down here. its getting worse. it may not be at the level of ny/nj as you say, but those ppl are all moving here, so whats that gonna do?

Old 12-20-2014, 01:18 PM

433 posts, read 1,012,013 times
While its true that there are a lot of visitors and recent transplants who "don't get it" I can tell you that overall the common courtesy here is still very prevelant and I don't see that changing much. I just got back from south Florida and there are even still pockets of the southern charm down there and that place was over run a while ago.

The people worried it will become new York here have nothing to worry about. It will never happen. I've changed a lot since I came here. The culture here is still strong. Its just not the south south anymore that's all.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:31 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City__Datarer View Post
Oops--I have a rather embarrassing (maybe even a bit shocking) confession to make to my fellow year-round Floridians:

[Insert drum roll audio file here]

That is just me you've been hearing with all the the horn honking.

Yep, sad to have to own up to it, but probably a good 99% of the instances, if not 100%, have been yours truly.

I'm fine when traffic is normal (April-October), but my horn gets a major workout November to March. Bit of a Jekyll and Hyde thing going on there--traffic moves and I'm Jekyll; traffic jams up and I turn into Hyde.

I go through at least a dozen car horns a season. My mechanic is quite fond of my Hyde persona (though I suspect he doesn't have a lot of company in this). However, he has requested I work on trying to swap out the seasons (make it Jekyll-winter, Hyde-summer) as off-season is the time when he really needs all the extra business. (He doesn't understand me. No one does. It's a curse.)

Anyway, sorry, everyone (for the horn honking and the confusion). I will try to do better!!!

And a special apology to all the tourists and part-year residents who have taken the heat for my (again, very embarrassing--plan to mend my ways, really!) transgressions. (Jekyll side much appreciates your forbearance! ) (Hyde is thinking enough with the keyboarding; time to take another spin. )
I suspect there are a lot of folks who do the same thing- really great people it's a privilege to know when they aren't behind the wheel, who turn into Godzilla behind the wheel- I guess part of it is the relative anonymity we have behind the wheel, we can't see the drivers in other cars very well, and react in ways we probably wouldn't to incidents that get to us if we were face to face with the drivers.

I spent waaaay too many years in Miami, so understand all too well why all the horn honking- and figure Orlando is the same way. I don't blow my horn at "those" drivers anymore, I guess I stopped when I started driving cars with horns that sounded like silly anemic little "blap-blaps"- didn't seem to convey the same message as those full bodied horns. I must admit I'd prefer something like a train whistle, but I don't see one forthcoming either.

I have to admit that under those driving circumstances I can turn the air blue with the cussing at the other drivers- with names that would embarrass a longshoreman. I just have to make sure I dont do it when someone else is in the car with me, LOL

Old 12-20-2014, 01:33 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
Sounds like you guys are saying it will be a adjustment but nothing too bad. I hope so, was surprised by how annoyed i was at stuff that was once probably normal to me.
I guess when you get out of it for a while, you lose your acclimation to such behavior. So it seems worse when you get back into it.

I found that with the mind-numbing traffic of southeast Florida.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:57 AM

517 posts, read 1,092,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I suspect there are a lot of folks who do the same thing [boldface added; excerpt, not full quote]
I was actually kidding about leaning on my horn half the year. I don't really do that. But I was just trying to make the point in a lighthearted way that probably with all of us--tourists, snowbirds, and year-round people--we would be perceived as having better manners the better (less frustrating) the driving conditions of the moment. (But thanks anyway for the kind reply )

Last edited by City__Datarer; 12-21-2014 at 02:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando