Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 09:07 PM

156 posts, read 220,341 times

Advertisements

I moved from NC to Orlando about 1.5yr. I have a professional job offer before I moved down so I don't struggle. I can only compare NC to ORlando. Labor without a degree, you will struggle here as the wage is alot lower than the living standard. NC at least, you can live comfortably with labor work without a degree. Other than the weather, I miss NC especially the hiking on the mountains. Schools (some are better here). I live in Lake nona now and my kids love the schools here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 10:09 AM

55 posts, read 64,285 times
I'm still reading this thread. Thanks everyone for responses. It helps and great to see everyone doing good

Old 04-14-2015, 04:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,785 times
Another Jersey girl here. Loved reading everyone's posts. I plan on moving to Florida, hopefully Windermere or Winter Garden, in 4 years, once my twins graduate high school. (Who both cannot wait to move to Florida!) There was just so much snow these past winters! My, MOm, brother and sil are also coming too. My daughter wants to attend University of Florida. I realize without taking a year off, we will have to pay out of state tuition rates, for the first year at least. Ughh.. anyone have advice on getting reclassified to in-state after that?

Reading everyone's posts has gotten me so excited!! Wish I didn't have to wait 4 years...sigh...

Old 04-14-2015, 04:43 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
she can be a FL resident after 1 yr of residency. but that first yr will be costly. when i was going to do it, i was looking at about 14k, and i know its more than that now- that was 10 yrs ago!

Old 04-15-2015, 07:30 AM

82 posts, read 95,313 times
I plan to move down there in the fall now. Was trying to get down there Asap but our weather has gotten alot better up here.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:15 AM

2 posts, read 2,785 times
Comsense, yes, it like 27000 now for the firsy year as out of state...it hurts but no other way around it short of taking a year off...

Old 04-16-2015, 01:53 PM

^^ take the year off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 27k is CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its a good school but it aint Duke or Harvard!

Old 04-18-2015, 01:30 AM

973 posts, read 2,229,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirl1213 View Post
Comsense, yes, it like 27000 now for the firsy year as out of state...it hurts but no other way around it short of taking a year off...
If tuition cost is a concern, start with 2 years at Santa Fe College in Gainesville, get to experience some of the UF fun at a less expensive rate. Get the AA degree then transfer to UF as a Florida resident for the 3rd/4th years in finishing up the Bachelor's degree. When I was at Santa Fe, I applied and was accepted as a student ambassador for the admissions office, and tuition & books were covered for my year as an ambassador. Look into that sort of scholarship..

I came into this thread as I was one who moved away and came back. I hated east Orlando. Neighborhoods that once were nice started having big issues with crime - Avalon Park area. Many former coworkers of mine moved farther from jobs to live in safer areas - Wedgefield, Winter Springs, Longwood, Lake Mary, west Sanford, etc.

I moved to Tampa, which is NOT a good place for a software engineer to move compared to Orlando, as the job market is at most 1/10th the size and pay isn't as competitive. Came back 2.5 years ago and I'm now looking to buy a house in the Longwood/Lake Mary area.. would love to get one with some land on Markham Woods instead of the cookie cutter neighborhoods with high HOA fees.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:46 AM

^^^ Agreed, I lived in AP area too. So glad to be in Oviedo now.

Old 04-18-2015, 04:12 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfjtm View Post
If tuition cost is a concern, start with 2 years at Santa Fe College in Gainesville, get to experience some of the UF fun at a less expensive rate. Get the AA degree then transfer to UF as a Florida resident for the 3rd/4th years in finishing up the Bachelor's degree. When I was at Santa Fe, I applied and was accepted as a student ambassador for the admissions office, and tuition & books were covered for my year as an ambassador. Look into that sort of scholarship..

I came into this thread as I was one who moved away and came back. I hated east Orlando. Neighborhoods that once were nice started having big issues with crime - Avalon Park area. Many former coworkers of mine moved farther from jobs to live in safer areas - Wedgefield, Winter Springs, Longwood, Lake Mary, west Sanford, etc.

I moved to Tampa, which is NOT a good place for a software engineer to move compared to Orlando, as the job market is at most 1/10th the size and pay isn't as competitive. Came back 2.5 years ago and I'm now looking to buy a house in the Longwood/Lake Mary area.. would love to get one with some land on Markham Woods instead of the cookie cutter neighborhoods with high HOA fees.
I think she has to wait to get instate tuition and has to prove she did not move here just to go to school. If you start even at a JC with out of state tuition they want to keep it that way. Taking college classes does not gain you residency in the state of Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando