Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 09:17 PM

3 posts, read 12,952 times

Advertisements

Please keep the post respectful and no "hating"...just asking a simple question...and I would love some feedback on the city.

First off I love Orlando...always have since I was a kid. I'm 34 now, I still love the them parks, restaurants and all the stuff the city has to offer...my question is...is Orlando a good place to meet single women or are there a lot better options somewhere else. I'm not looking to get married ...just go on dates, see movies, go to the parks , etc...and hey if something happens great...if not I'm happy spending time with a like minded person of the opposite sex.

I am looking to move shortly, September most likely. I have been living in my hometown...typical small town in South Georgia no one has heard of and it has been...rough to say the least. My business has done ok but my personal life has been not so productive! Its my hometown so I guess some of that is to be expected but after endless night alone...I decided a few weeks ago its time to move.

The town has about 12,000 ppl...so its not big by any means. When I'm out of town in larger places...mostly cities I tend to make more friends and even have more interest from women. No, I'm not a chick magnet( lol not one of the guys who act like " Eh bro...i can get any woman I want")...but i just get more smiles, conversations and sometimes dates. I tend to have a decent amount of success in larger cities than smaller more rural areas.

Here in South GA...nada...nothing. I am lucky if I get one response of a dating site after sending a dozen emails to the very few single women in this town. This could be because I am not at all "country or redneck" and most people in this town are. I don't enjoy country life...I don't hunt or "mudd"...have no children as opposed to most of my classmates who have 4 kids now and are on their 2nd marriage. Poverty level is high here, unemployment rate and businesses are going out left and right. Even if my love life was perfect there just isn't much opportunity to grow here. Its time to move on to somewhere with more opportunity.

My big question now...is where to move? I love Orlando...just so much to offer it seems....but will I have more success with women somewhere else? Take all other deciding facts away...just looking at where an average looking guy stands a chance to to spend sometime with women dating and enjoying what life has to offer.
Do I need to look further than Central Florida? Northern cities? West Coast? Or is what I want in Orlando?

Last edited by cjb1049; 07-12-2015 at 09:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 12:36 AM

24,399 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Your success with women in any medium to large city depends on your personality, looks and flirting skills. I was helping a friend get a gf after his dumped him and left him lost and sad. He isn't exactly a lady's man, but I helped create a dating profile on okcupid and he was going on dates every week.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:44 AM

3 posts, read 12,952 times
I agree, but having options is a plus! Not many single women are here where I live now. I feel in a larger area I will do well. Bainbridge GA....doesnt have much to offer, we actually came in #2 on the worst places to live in Georgia...no lie lol. (These Are The 10 Worst Places To Live In Georgia - RoadSnacks). Cudos for helping your friend, its good to see people putting an effort into helping someone. What is your opinion of Orlando? Pros? Con's? I hear traffic is a problem but traffic has never bothered me like some people...just gives me more time to listen to the radio! =)

Old 07-13-2015, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb1049 View Post
I agree, but having options is a plus! Not many single women are here where I live now. I feel in a larger area I will do well. Bainbridge GA....doesnt have much to offer, we actually came in #2 on the worst places to live in Georgia...no lie lol. (These Are The 10 Worst Places To Live In Georgia - RoadSnacks). Cudos for helping your friend, its good to see people putting an effort into helping someone. What is your opinion of Orlando? Pros? Con's? I hear traffic is a problem but traffic has never bothered me like some people...just gives me more time to listen to the radio! =)
I've lived in Alaska, Washington, California, Florida and Australia. I consider myself a world traveler and with all that being said I am moving back to Orlando around Jan 2016. For me, it was my favorite all around city for living. Most of my income comes from online, so I really have the ability to live anywhere and I'm choosing Orlando out of all places, so that tells you I like it a lot lol.

There are enough single ladies and men to keep you satisfied, so I wouldn't worry about that at all. Traffic is much better than most major cities, so it doesn't bother me either.

I would consider Dr Phillips, Winter Park or Downtown as far as living-wise.

Pros:

Great value
Friendly locals for the most part
People from all over the world
Theme parks and attractions galore
Great shopping
Always green
Nice landscaping
Nice homes
Near multiple beaches
Great weather for my tastes anyways
Most homes have their own pools
Lots of new development keeps things interesting
Tons of lakes

Cons:

Not on the ocean
No mountains
Lackluster food scene
Really my only major complaint is the food scene, it's good for a city its size I guess, but I'm used to having a lot more choices and quality.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:04 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Moving to a bigger city would definitely help. If you were somewhere like Atlanta and weren't having success, then I'd be worried for you, but basically moving to anywhere from where you are now would open up your options tremendously.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:06 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
the women here are beautiful. i'm married but damn if i were single.

anyhow, some are a little pretentious and some are down to Earth.

there are lots and lots of people in Orlando, so good luck.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:25 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,337,371 times
Hi CJB I'm about the same age as you and still on the dating scene so I'll give you the good, bad and ugly of my experience.

The Good

Orlando is a very young place so there alot of singles here. I think by far the best part of the dating scene here is the diversity, and I don't mean just racial diversity. There are all types of women here, and the women even change from place to place. There are alot of party girl types, some hipsters, country girls from the outlying counties, beach bunnies, professionals, service industry, single moms, single wannabe moms, cougars you name it. DT is more of the party girls, UCF students and grads, service industry, and some young professionals. It ranges from 21-40 but is more towards the younger side. This is where you'll find the girls screaming "shots" on top of the bar. Sandlake and Winter Park are more cougars, divorcees, and quieter young people. It's more of a Wine crowd and the women are more selective, though not always. Than you have the smaller scenes in local places like Altamonte Springs, Heathrow Town Center, DT Sanford, Hunter's Creek. These tend to be ore local girls, some single moms looking to get back on the scene and more down to earth girls in my experience (except maybe Heathrow at times which can be a mix of everything). This is more the type of place you end up in a relationship. Overall the women here are as varied as the places you find them. However, this is still Florida so looks are very important, but you sound like you do ok for yourself.

The BAD

First impressions are very important here and first impressions are almost always about looks. And to be quite honest it's not just women here, it's all the singles. After all this is Florida, there are alot of tone beach bods. People do like to exercise and go to the gym regularly so it can be intimidating sometimes. Not everyone here is greek god or goddess but the ones that do walk into the bar or beach or whatever, tend to pull a disproportionate amount of interest from the opposite sex. If you're not really buff it helps to be rich, of some combination thereof. Some places like SandLake and Winter Park can be materialistic. It's not as bad as Miami but probably more prevalent than other cities.

The UGLY

Every girl here says she's not looking for anything serious but it seems in my experience everyone who says that is looking for Mr. Right or Mr. Right Now. The casual dating scene is less and less frequent, I don't know if it's a sign of the times or just because I'm getting older but every woman either wants to get married, or see you as a potential husband, if not they won't even entertain dating. It's been like this with women I meet out and women I've met online, even worse online. Maybe now that I'm in an older age bracket the women just want to hurry up and get serious, but it's harder to find the type that just wants to take a chance and get to know someone who may or may not be the one.

OVERALL

It's a good dating scene, it could be better but there are plenty of potential mates. The hardest part is just finding the one to take a chance on. You'll find all types for all tastes but at the end of day most seem to want the same thing. If it's just volume and a larger dating pool you're looking for you'll certainly find that here. Also bare in mind Florida is a the entire dating pool. Most young people here travel to the other Florida cities to socialize and meet up, Tampa, South Florida, Southwest Florida are all fair game. It's not uncommon here to date a woman from another city. Good luck!

Old 07-13-2015, 11:28 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,431,627 times
I grew up in Orlando and I really believe it is a great city for singles, I would recommend that you seriously consider the move, Cranes Rooster gave a great summary above of the Orlando dating scene.

Orlando is BOOMING right now which is great for singles, there is a huge young adult population, entertainment options are endless, weather is desirable year round, beaches are within driving distance, there is ALOT of cultural diversity, and most locals are generally friendly and open to meeting new people. Best of luck!

Old 07-14-2015, 06:30 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
I dont date, I'm married, but I would guess that Orlando, for whatever reason, is pretty materialistic. Women will want men to either be somewhat wealthy, or very good looking. Or some combo of the two. Good luck with that women lol. Some women may want the "buff" guy, I guess. Maybe the younger women would think thats important. I think its way overdone and kind of ridiculous. But I'm 6' and 180 lbs. So a regular build I guess.

If I were single, I think I'd be cautious about dating here.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
I dont date, I'm married, but I would guess that Orlando, for whatever reason, is pretty materialistic. Women will want men to either be somewhat wealthy, or very good looking. Or some combo of the two. Good luck with that women lol. Some women may want the "buff" guy, I guess. Maybe the younger women would think thats important. I think its way overdone and kind of ridiculous. But I'm 6' and 180 lbs. So a regular build I guess.

If I were single, I think I'd be cautious about dating here.
Which isn't much different than any other city in the world lol. People want to be attracted to the person before dating. People also don't want to worry about having to support another person before dating. And many people would like to someday live in a nice home and take trips overseas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando