Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 10:27 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,624,942 times

Advertisements

I don't want to generalize but I probably will, but I found an interesting poll today:

http://www.helium.com/debates/68477-the-metrosexual-man-versus-the-cowboy-what-do-women-want/side_by_side

It seems like it is evenly split between women and what they like. But of course there are probably pros and cons to dating men that fit the bill into these two camps.

Cowboy/Country guys are more gentlemen like but it also seems to be centered around a cultural norm for them with the two playing their roles as man and woman. Break out of those roles or if anything makes him feel less of a man and there might be some trouble. If he's really traditional it's like messing with some divine order, lol.

The metro man might be less of a gentleman and some of the chivarly may be missing, but he does seem to give the woman more air to breathe, more independence and ability to break out of her shell. Although since the metro is still a man, and if he gets dissatisfied with the woman, he could be a seriously harmful verbal abuser; I am thinking of Howard Hughes in the Aviator how he just shut down Katherine Hepburn or any woman he dated as not being worth his precious time.

Nothing beats the general skills a country guy can muster. I mean I've seen them work on cars like no other, hunt like they're life depended on it, build stuff from scratch and ride horses like they're John Wayne. Growing up near the country and seeing that was too cool. I mean that alone, the aspect of working hard and playing hard is really appealing and is what sets them miles apart from the metro. Although the con is that there is a limit as to where that can take you if you're a woman looking for financial stability. Not all of them own land, and many work hard jobs for long hours.

The metro tends to do the same as the former but with his communicational and intrapersonal skills. His intelligence and the innovative and imaginative creativity is what sets him apart. Most of the jobs they hold require either creative or quantitative skills to maintain the yuppie life. But considering some lack the general skills of the former, they will need to keep their highly paid positions. Also, having the pedigree and the confidence might make them a bit too cocky and arrogant.

I mean it's all about the individual man but there is a culture surrounding the two types. There is a lot of overlap too, I've seen country guys run mid size firms and win it big and I've seen metros live dirty lives as though they were Charlie Sheen in Wall Street. So it goes both ways.

What do women think? What are the pros and cons of dating either?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 12:36 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,922,186 times
Anyone who considers themselves a "country boy" is a douche bag. Anyone who is a metro is also a douche bag.

Most people who call themselves "country" live in the city, have never lived on a farm, wear wranglers, cowboy boots and talk with words they find on larry the cable guy. Metro guys might as well talk with a lisp and give manicures.

End of the day, both of these people suck.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:38 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,829,266 times

Country Boy Can Survive - YouTube
This thread needs more videos. HELLO young DAVE LETTERMAN.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:42 AM

2,386 posts, read 3,268,494 times
I like my guy to be a gentle man and have manners, I also love the country. In my opinion a man who can work with his hands is pretty sexy

Cowboy

Old 05-25-2013, 01:00 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,645,510 times
Country boy.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:03 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,224,621 times
What do you mean by country boy, the man on the right or the man on the left?

Old 05-25-2013, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
I don't want to generalize but I probably will, but I found an interesting poll today:

http://www.helium.com/debates/68477-the-metrosexual-man-versus-the-cowboy-what-do-women-want/side_by_side

It seems like it is evenly split between women and what they like. But of course there are probably pros and cons to dating men that fit the bill into these two camps.

Cowboy/Country guys are more gentlemen like but it also seems to be centered around a cultural norm for them with the two playing their roles as man and woman. Break out of those roles or if anything makes him feel less of a man and there might be some trouble. If he's really traditional it's like messing with some divine order, lol.

The metro man might be less of a gentleman and some of the chivarly may be missing, but he does seem to give the woman more air to breathe, more independence and ability to break out of her shell. Although since the metro is still a man, and if he gets dissatisfied with the woman, he could be a seriously harmful verbal abuser; I am thinking of Howard Hughes in the Aviator how he just shut down Katherine Hepburn or any woman he dated as not being worth his precious time.

Nothing beats the general skills a country guy can muster. I mean I've seen them work on cars like no other, hunt like they're life depended on it, build stuff from scratch and ride horses like they're John Wayne. Growing up near the country and seeing that was too cool. I mean that alone, the aspect of working hard and playing hard is really appealing and is what sets them miles apart from the metro. Although the con is that there is a limit as to where that can take you if you're a woman looking for financial stability. Not all of them own land, and many work hard jobs for long hours.

The metro tends to do the same as the former but with his communicational and intrapersonal skills. His intelligence and the innovative and imaginative creativity is what sets him apart. Most of the jobs they hold require either creative or quantitative skills to maintain the yuppie life. But considering some lack the general skills of the former, they will need to keep their highly paid positions. Also, having the pedigree and the confidence might make them a bit too cocky and arrogant.

I mean it's all about the individual man but there is a culture surrounding the two types. There is a lot of overlap too, I've seen country guys run mid size firms and win it big and I've seen metros live dirty lives as though they were Charlie Sheen in Wall Street. So it goes both ways.

Songify This - Winning - a Song by Charlie Sheen - YouTube

Old 05-25-2013, 01:23 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,173,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post

Directed towards the OP,

The examples you gave are highly stereo-typical however they do hold some semblance of truth…
At least based on my experience..
I recall meeting a gent and deciding to not agree to a date but instead stated to him that I was going to be at a bar in his city ( 20 minutes from mine) to listen and support a friends band…stated to him that this is where I would be if he wanted to pop in and say hello…
Well he showed up with his buddy and I was with mine…
He showed up wearing tight jeans ( not skinny) but like Wranglers…
And a button down shirt unbuttoned to far and no undershirt…

Boots and so forth..We had a few laughs and he invited me and my friends back to his place…for drinks and a chat..
He drove away in his diesel truck and we followed…We pulled up on some rural gravel drive way and were met by a burn barrel which I had never heard of until that night…
He was very nice but far from a gentleman…I had to use the bathroom and the only bathroom he had in his manufactured home was in his bedroom..
As I walked in his bedroom I could not help but observe a ‘Gun Rack” above his bed…yikes…

This was not my idea of someone I could really be with, his lifestyle differed vastly from mine…
He loves to drive by Golf parks and honk as the people are getting ready to T off…he thinks it is funny…
He watches TV on his days off and I feel he is borderline alcoholic…Everytime I spoke to him prior to meeting him? He was already on a good buzz and on his way to three sheets to the wind…

Then again I also dated a metro guy…
Owned his own business…Very “L.A” Owned a Corvette and a Camaro..
He used more hair products than I did…which at the time was a good thing since I had forgotten to bring my hair dryer and he actually owned one..lol
He had a posh place…went to the best clubs and knew everyone…
The downside? He was so unattached to what my lifestyle is…I.E.

He never eats at home..he outs all the time..Dinner around 11..sometimes later if he goes to the club or a concert…
He has no food in his fridge…only water, vitamin water and booze…
He talks down to wait staff…
He spoils his women, he is ready to give them the good life but only if they play by his rules and do as he sais…
He is now 41 and when I dated him? He was 39 and sulked like a child but thought he was ready to be a father?

So yes both have their downfalls however again I am basing my experiences on two extremes there are men that are in the middle and men that belong to both groups that you mentioned that defy the stereo-type…

Old 05-25-2013, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr74 View Post
Directed towards the OP, ....
So yes both have their downfalls however again I am basing my experiences on two extremes there are men that are in the middle and men that belong to both groups that you mentioned that defy the stereo-type…
Both of those men sounds like D-bags.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:16 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,719,651 times
I'm from Boston, originally. Once, I fell madly in love with the daughter of a rancher from a small town in Colorado. One of my biggest regrets in life is that it didn't work out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships