Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 07:39 AM

13,657 posts, read 9,724,335 times

Advertisements

Every stereotype exaggerates extremes, and these are no exception. The rural-type need not be a swaggering, domineering, anti-intellectual frontiersman. The "metro" type need not be a club-hopping, effete and bombastic socialite. But these are the stereotypes, and they are remarkably persistent.

Ideally of course we'd combine the best of both: the mechanical aptitude and self-reliance of the cowboy, with the urban sophistication of the "metro".

But from a man's viewpoint, one is tempted to conclude that what women find attractive is neither the cowboy's ability to fix his truck nor the metro's ability to garner high fees from litigating a complicated court-case, but rather more superficial attributes, attributes of style. The cowboy looks tough. He exudes a vibrant obliviousness to modern whims, coming across as traditional and eternal. His simplicity looks like not lack of education or taste, but rejection of ultimately meaningless fripperies of modern life. The metro looks sophisticated. He glides effortlessly through modern life, embracing its nuances and rejecting the stodgy limitations of troglodyte manhood.

But what happens for example to the rural guy who speaks multiple foreign languages and has a PhD in physics? What image is he going to exude?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 07:53 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,086,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Anyone who considers themselves a "country boy" is a douche bag. Anyone who is a metro is also a douche bag.

Most people who call themselves "country" live in the city, have never lived on a farm, wear wranglers, cowboy boots and talk with words they find on larry the cable guy. Metro guys might as well talk with a lisp and give manicures.

End of the day, both of these people suck.
I can't speak for the metro guys,but speaking for the other team I can tell you that calling a country boy a dbag around here would get you a free ass kicking until your mom's nose started bleeding

I don't have a clue how metro dude's date or treat women but the cowboy/country types I can tell you all about.

No fancy restaurants,but BBQ and fish frys at somebodys house every weekend if you are so inclined to go and if more intimate is your style,saddle a horse up and leave your own yard and ride til you decide to stop and have a picnic in the woods..don't like horses? No problem..back the truck underneath the pontoon boat trailer and head to the lake and grill out on the water and watch the sun go down(like the pic in my profile was taken just awhile back).

No operas or big name plays in the country to satisfy a date,but plenty of better things to do anyway without all of that high class crap and the see and be seen world of make believe.

Country guys are all about fun for the most part and as long as a woman stays away from the drunken idiot version of a country guy she's probably gonna be ok...as long as she likes deer meat and fresh fish that is

Old 05-25-2013, 11:50 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,812,988 times
The only country guys that asked me out, were guys from near my Grandparents farm in Devon England. They were hot, but location, location, location. Tiny farming community with gossip and if anything goes wrong, my Grandparents will hear every last detail of it. Sad, they had sweet Devonshire accents. BBC - - The voices of Devon

Otherwise, I'm from the city, I've only known city. I suppose I've dated a few metrosexual guys. Usually, they were ten plus years older than me. They had expensive cars that I could never hope to afford when I was 20 (around the age I was at the time). They chose expensive restaurants that even though I prefer to go dutch, I couldn't insist on paying for my own food there. They were funny, witty and made fast interesting conversation. Sometimes, it went over my head and I felt kind of dumb. I grew up in a home where we ate wine with dinner. But I might drink red wine with my grilled fish and no I was not aware that is goes better with a chardonnay. Relief came in the form of going to a club afterward where I could dance and stop talking. After dating a few of this type, I realized they made me feel really insecure.

I stopped dating guys that much older than me. Too much maturing happens between 18 and 25 for most to be dating someone 10+ years older.

My husband grew up in a smaller suburb. Nice balance for me.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:54 AM

706 posts, read 1,205,801 times
hot, sexy, sweaty cowboy!

Old 05-25-2013, 11:57 AM

607 posts, read 856,299 times
A "country boy":

-lives in the suburbs
-homophobic
-drinks heavily
-drives a pontiac
-wears camo to walmart
-obsessed w guns
-goes hunting or fishing once or twice a year
-associates degree (if that)
-swears a lot
-ugly tattoos

can also be said for country girl.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger55 View Post
A "country boy":

-lives in the suburbs
-homophobic
-drinks heavily
-drives a pontiac
-wears camo to walmart
-obsessed w guns
-goes hunting or fishing once or twice a year
-associates degree (if that)
-swears a lot
-ugly tattoos

can also be said for country girl.
You need to get out of town more often and quit watching "My Name is Earl" so much..it's shorting your brain waves out into brain ripples.

Btw..the vast majority of the idiots that you think you know so well out earn the "smart" folks with the nice diplomas hanging on the wall in their parent's basement

Old 05-25-2013, 11:46 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
I love a guy with great style and polish! So I'm team "metro".

I love Scott Disick's style

Old 05-25-2013, 11:54 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,176,953 times
Aw, look at this name-calling of metrosexuals, like myself.

I'm wearing a pink v-neck, white chinos rolled up like capris, pink and white striped socks and Sperrys to my friend's pool party later today.

And guess who's still going to have pretty women talking to him all day ?

Old 05-26-2013, 12:07 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,942,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post

I'm wearing a pink v-neck, white chinos rolled up like capris, pink and white striped socks and Sperrys to my friend's pool party later today.

Good attitude, although I don't know how you could live with yourself hahah

Old 05-26-2013, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post

Do your thing and have fun

metro sexuals of southpark - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships