Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 04:49 PM

10 posts, read 35,690 times

Advertisements

I am a 28 year old professional female with a college degree in business management. i have a 9 year old son and I've been in orlando florida for almost three years and nothing has changed. There are no advancements, little opportunities, jobs do not pay much and if you do work for a good company and they decide to get rid of you one day, you have no say being that this a right to work state.crime rate isn't a mickey mouse fairy tale. in homocide cases this year alone has gone up by 50 something people killed, not by natural death. Car jacking is crazy, sexual predators are on the loose more than flies. They say food is cheaper, not true, quality clothing cheap, not true unless you want a closet full of walmart stuff. seriously this state is good for retired individuals,or people fresh of the islands, that settle for low paying jobs and are happy . or if you have a phat bank account to enjoy it here. because if the money is good you live good anywhere. i met my boyfriend here he is also from NY and thinks the same. his income is much more in ny than here. he moved here to see what florida had to offer which turned out to be not to much. so with that said we been considering on moving back. he is originally from long island and i'm from the bronx we were thinking maybe a place with 2 bedrooms in long island or a quiet place in queens or the bronx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2006, 05:25 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,909,003 times
I have been in Florida all my life. as for the crime I see it every day. Firemed is firefighter medic. The crime is very bad and we are just seeing the tip of the iceberg. most retired individuals are moving away. I see at least one suicide a shift. most are old individuals who can't move. they run out of money and don't know what to do. Churches Try to help but there are so many. you won't see it in the news unless it's someone famous. And humanity is getting harder to find. When I hear someone from the Bronx say its bad. It must be BAD. We forget about the old that have sacrificed so much to make the country what it is. I for one will not trade respect for a buck.

Old 11-03-2006, 07:02 PM

31 posts, read 128,796 times
A few years ago, about your age, I moved to Ft. Lauderdale with my daugther and felt the same way. No chance to advance career wise and make money. I moved back to NY, continue my education and made money. Now I'm ready to sell my L.I. house and move back to Fl. because I'm tired of the cold and wanted a slower pace life. Should you do the same?
Maybe- NY does give you an edge to get ahead career wise but be warn L.I., is EXPENSIVE. As a realtor, let me tell you that a decent basic house will cost you $400,000, taxes about $4500 and not to mention my "pimp" the utility company. A 2bd rm apt. will run you about $1400-$1600. Rentals are higher in NYC.

Crime and sexual predators are everywhere, whether you're in Fl or NY. Your concern should be a job where you can advance and a neighborhood with good school for your child.

Old 11-03-2006, 07:24 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,574,354 times
Talking We are moving back to the N.E. also

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcorleon View Post
I am a 28 year old professional female with a college degree in business management. i have a 9 year old son and I've been in orlando florida for almost three years and nothing has changed. There are no advancements, little opportunities, jobs do not pay much and if you do work for a good company and they decide to get rid of you one day, you have no say being that this a right to work state.crime rate isn't a mickey mouse fairy tale. in homocide cases this year alone has gone up by 50 something people killed, not by natural death. Car jacking is crazy, sexual predators are on the loose more than flies. They say food is cheaper, not true, quality clothing cheap, not true unless you want a closet full of walmart stuff. seriously this state is good for retired individuals,or people fresh of the islands, that settle for low paying jobs and are happy . or if you have a phat bank account to enjoy it here. because if the money is good you live good anywhere. i met my boyfriend here he is also from NY and thinks the same. his income is much more in ny than here. he moved here to see what florida had to offer which turned out to be not to much. so with that said we been considering on moving back. he is originally from long island and i'm from the bronx we were thinking maybe a place with 2 bedrooms in long island or a quiet place in queens or the bronx.
We are in Punta Gorda which is in SW Florida. It's a nice town but we too just want to move back up north. It's way too hot lately down here, and the hurricanes scare the heck out of me! Our families are back up north too.
We will be moving in the next few months to be closer to the family and also to get a bigger piece of property. We will be in Pike County Pa.
Two of our kids are staying down here for now, the other is still in the Navy and will be where we are when he gets out. He is stationed in Jacksonville and hates it there. He doesn't even like Punta Gorda. The other two children will probably move up within the next year or so!
There's no place like home!

Old 11-03-2006, 07:38 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,454,401 times
Bam, I don't see you much on here anymore. I'm just so happy for you that you got your house sold and can now move back to your family. The holidays are coming and you'll get to spend them with family.

JJ, so sorry to hear that you're feeling this way about your move. It's too bad that things didn't work out better and that you aren't happy in Fla. It is such a nice state, but so many people are moving out or moving back home and that's really scary. We've been considering moving to Fla. for a while now and still have a bit over a year until we would be able to. Maybe things will change for the better and it will once again be an affordable state. The saddest stories are the ones from people who were born and raised there and have family there and can no longer afford to stay. Good luck to you no matter what you decide to do.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:37 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
I have been in Florida all my life. as for the crime I see it every day. Firemed is firefighter medic. The crime is very bad and we are just seeing the tip of the iceberg. most retired individuals are moving away. I see at least one suicide a shift. most are old individuals who can't move. they run out of money and don't know what to do. Churches Try to help but there are so many. you won't see it in the news unless it's someone famous. And humanity is getting harder to find. When I hear someone from the Bronx say its bad. It must be BAD. We forget about the old that have sacrificed so much to make the country what it is. I for one will not trade respect for a buck.
check out the Boston and New Hampshire area, forget the hampton roads area. one time my wish? Florida will get bad, why? Insurance for a home, and the tax, hello? citizens, or? wells fargo did get the email, and the the bill payer? no notice? me. Anyway the people will speak!

Old 11-03-2006, 08:56 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Bam, I don't see you much on here anymore. I'm just so happy for you that you got your house sold and can now move back to your family. The holidays are coming and you'll get to spend them with family.

JJ, so sorry to hear that you're feeling this way about your move. It's too bad that things didn't work out better and that you aren't happy in Fla. It is such a nice state, but so many people are moving out or moving back home and that's really scary. We've been considering moving to Fla. for a while now and still have a bit over a year until we would be able to. Maybe things will change for the better and it will once again be an affordable state. The saddest stories are the ones from people who were born and raised there and have family there and can no longer afford to stay. Good luck to you no matter what you decide to do.
Me also, in one way, florida is for the rich? ins., taxes, I guess give me snow?
You, need money here? I hope Florida gets the act together.

Old 11-05-2006, 07:46 PM

all i can say is move to a place where you can give your child everything he deserves him first

Old 11-05-2006, 07:48 PM

there is nothing here in florida just backdrafts and it dont get better go where there is opportinyty for you and your child and if you have family over there then thats a plus

Old 11-05-2006, 08:46 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,658,909 times
Have a nice trip back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando