Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 08:01 PM

35 posts, read 50,440 times

Advertisements

Currently I live in a Davenport trailer park but am wanting a cheap house in the Orlando area. I fell in love with a house in Pine Hills, but seem to find really mixed data about the crime rates out there. I feel comfortable driving through there and the house I want is large and has a privacy fence. Does anyone else live out there? How is the "revitalization effort" that I read about on Wikipedia? My realitor said that the houses in the area were going up in value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 11:29 PM

133 posts, read 277,743 times
It depends what side of Pine Hills. The area of Pine Hills west of Hiawassee and north of North Lane is fine in my opinion...

Old 01-14-2015, 05:34 AM

995 posts, read 1,696,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx2O11xX View Post
It depends what side of Pine Hills. The area of Pine Hills west of Hiawassee and north of North Lane is fine in my opinion...
This is very true. There are areas of Pine Hills that I think are prime for revitalization. In those areas, if you can deal with it the way it is now, it should only improve. There are other areas that will likely not improve.

Give us a better idea of the exact location.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:11 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,404,507 times
I've never lived there, but I frequent Pine Hills a lot. Best ethnic stores in Central FL. Period.

And I agree... Country Run area is very nice.

As for the rest, it depends on your tolerance for... stupidity, really.
I've had friends who lived around N Powers for years and never had any issues.

Gentrification around Church St and Parramore Ave is pushing a lot of that crowd into Pine Hills as well.

In general, as far as Pine Hills goes, if it LOOKS rough, it is.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:25 AM

The house I am looking at is off of N Pine Hills Road near Chinatown. House looks great inside, exterior not so much

By Balboa and Barnet Park

Last edited by inkling; 01-14-2015 at 07:39 AM..

Old 01-14-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkling View Post
The house I am looking at is off of N Pine Hills Road near Chinatown. House looks great inside, exterior not so much
Yeah... I do lots of grocery shopping in that area... It's great for that... But it is a rather iffy part of town.
More than likely, you'll be fine, but you'll just be surrounded by lots of... ummm... ignorance...

Don't leave expensive items visible to the public.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:43 AM

The layout of the home allows for a sitting room in front and a TV in the Florida Sunroom by the screened in pool. So wen we unpack, we should be discreet? It looked like the crime statistics showed a lot of breakins. I have a Jack Russel Terrier. If I put her outside in the yard would someone steal her?

Old 01-14-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkling View Post
The layout of the home allows for a sitting room in front and a TV in the Florida Sunroom by the screened in pool. So wen we unpack, we should be discreet? It looked like the crime statistics showed a lot of breakins. I have a Jack Russel Terrier. If I put her outside in the yard would someone steal her?
Well, when you unpack, don't leave the TV box outside by the trash for days, for example.
Don't let random the passerby see you haul that 51 inch into the house.
There are LOTS of young knuckleheads in that area, and many of them (illegally) own guns.
As for the dog, it's a possibility, but you could always invest in a chip of some sort to trace her.

Keep in mind, I'm just advising you to be cautious. If you're going to be ON N Pine Hills, you'll be on a pretty busy, active street. Odds of a break-in and other wild crime going unnoticed are very slim. I've cashed large checks at the Amscot on the corner and walked out with thousands in cash in the middle of the night, and never been mugged.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:08 AM

Its on Hernandes. I more worry about theft for dog fights than resale. When I lived in Indiana, it was a problem in nearby Gary (we are from the Griffith and Hammond area).

We have an older 32 inch flat and a box tv. Not much in the way of expensive goodies that we couldn't hide (i.e. wedding rings)

Would putting an NRA sticker on our door help or hinder us in that environment?

Thanks for the help.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:07 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,512,388 times
I have a friend whose family lives in Pine Hills- can't remember exactly where, but they've had two break-ins in the past few years. A TV was stolen during one of them.

It's not a place I'd ever recommend living, but I guess if you must, invest in a good alarm system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: