Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 02:54 PM

18 posts, read 25,112 times

Advertisements

How are these towns? Crime and schools in particular.

Looking for a nice area to live with my family. Relocating from PA.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 06:32 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
I can't speak to Howey-In-The-Hills but can say Tavares has some nice areas to choose from, along with a thriving revitalized downtown area, however the school quality in either isn't good at all. You'll do slightly better in Mount Dora or Eustis which have nice areas to live in and would give the edge to Mount Dora which is a beautiful little town. Another step up from either is Clermont which has above average schools (probably the best in Lake County). If you're serious about good schools and family-friendly, look to the east in Seminole County. Longwood/Wekiva Springs or Altamonte Springs/Lake Brantley are about 30 miles to the east and both school districts are very highly rated.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I can't speak to Howey-In-The-Hills but can say Tavares has some nice areas to choose from, along with a thriving revitalized downtown area, however the school quality in either isn't good at all. You'll do slightly better in Mount Dora or Eustis which have nice areas to live in and would give the edge to Mount Dora which is a beautiful little town. Another step up from either is Clermont which has above average schools (probably the best in Lake County). If you're serious about good schools and family-friendly, look to the east in Seminole County. Longwood/Wekiva Springs or Altamonte Springs/Lake Brantley are about 30 miles to the east and both school districts are very highly rated.
Thanks for your response.

I have looked into all of those towns and on greatschools they rank as follows with a few adding in:
Eustis 5/10
Wekiva 4/10
Clermont 5/10
Minneola 8/10
Tavares and Mt Dora 6/10
Altamonte/lake Brantley 8/10
Winter park 9/10

My husband has been told by several people that we should look more to the West side of Florida.

Still need to do more research and visit the areas to get a real feel.

My kids are in a private catholic school right now since the public schools here are a joke and dangerous.
It's getting very expensive to send them there though.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:56 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Clermont is a mixed bag due to some areas going to South Lake HS. If you can stay in an area zoned for East Ridge HS that number would bump to 8/10. Minneola is nice, although be wary of property taxes and go in with open eyes. Howey is nice, but I'm not sure what HS they use or how good it is. Tavares, meh.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:01 AM

17,203 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Tavares is okay... Mount Dora has some more modern, nicer areas.
As for schools, the public schools in the area are pretty average-to-bad... There is a rather large lower-class population, and as a result, quite a few roughnecks.
When I lived in Mt Dora, my kids went to Liberty Academy which is located in Tavares. It's a decent private school. I refused to send them to Triangle Elementary and Mt Dora Middle...

Howey-in-the-Hills has some very nice areas. Mission Inn used to be an overpriced community, but is now much more affordable. Montverde Academy isn't too far down.

Personally, I would look more into Wekiva/Longwood and Altamonte/Lake Brantley, or even Windermere, as they offer the same type of charm as Tavares and Howey, but have some MUCH better public school options.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:01 AM

782 posts, read 1,368,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Clermont is a mixed bag due to some areas going to South Lake HS. If you can stay in an area zoned for East Ridge HS that number would bump to 8/10. Minneola is nice, although be wary of property taxes and go in with open eyes. Howey is nice, but I'm not sure what HS they use or how good it is. Tavares, meh.
Howey is so itty bitty that it is in the same school zone for Tavares High.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:05 AM

782 posts, read 1,368,743 times
Just wrote up my views on Howey-in-the-Hills and Tavares in the other thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/38110046-post28.html

Old 01-21-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EditorJul View Post
Just wrote up my views on Howey-in-the-Hills and Tavares in the other thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/38110046-post28.html
Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando