Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 09:09 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consigliere View Post
The tolls lanes being constructed on I-4 will only alleviate congestion for those willing or able to pay the tolls to drive in them....when they are completed 6 or 7 years down the road.

For those unwilling or unable to pay the tolls, they will see NO improvement over the level of service (amount of congestion delays) they currently experience.
They will from those cars that end up traveling in the toll lanes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 10:49 PM

166 posts, read 384,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
They will from those cars that end up traveling in the toll lanes
Unfortunately, those unwilling or not able to afford to pay to travel in the toll lanes will see no improvement over the level of service (amount of congestion delay) they currently experience in the I-4 GP lanes. There is way to much latent demand.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:28 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,746,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
A system similar to Seattle would have been great. They built more lanes in the median (blocked off of course to avoid collisions or confusion). They are called express lanes, so depending on the flow of traffic, they will either open it Northbound or Southbound. It's free to use, the catch is they have very limited exits, hence, express lanes.
The Selmon Expressway in Tampa (downtown to Brandon area??) is like that. It's neat, but it's not free...

Old 02-14-2015, 05:00 AM

247 posts, read 243,587 times
I live about 35 miles NW of Orlando and use the toll roads when going to the airport. I have been able to rationalize it in two ways.

First, I believe that I save in gas what I pay in tolls.

Second, it takes me 45 minutes to get to the airport (3 stop lights going, two coming back) using toll roads, and 1 1/2 to two hours using non toll roads. I will do almost anything to avoid traveling long distances on Orange Blossom Trail (I call it the "Just Shoot Me Highway") where you drive for a block to the next stoplight and wait, drive to the next stoplight and wait, drive to the next stoplight and wait ..........

Old 02-14-2015, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consigliere View Post
Unfortunately, those unwilling or not able to afford to pay to travel in the toll lanes will see no improvement over the level of service (amount of congestion delay) they currently experience in the I-4 GP lanes. There is way to much latent demand.
Same thing happens in Miami. Either you pay up during high congestion periods, or suffer with everyone else on the regular I95 lanes. Too much population growth and a gas tax that hasn't been raised in 20 years

Old 02-14-2015, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYBob View Post
I live about 35 miles NW of Orlando and use the toll roads when going to the airport. I have been able to rationalize it in two ways.

First, I believe that I save in gas what I pay in tolls.

Second, it takes me 45 minutes to get to the airport (3 stop lights going, two coming back) using toll roads, and 1 1/2 to two hours using non toll roads. I will do almost anything to avoid traveling long distances on Orange Blossom Trail (I call it the "Just Shoot Me Highway") where you drive for a block to the next stoplight and wait, drive to the next stoplight and wait, drive to the next stoplight and wait ..........
not to mention that scenery

Old 02-14-2015, 06:02 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times
I think the biggest thing most people ignore is the unforgivable I4 to 408 interchange.
This is the cause of a good portion of rush hour traffic.

Even without I4 ultimate, if that were fixed, Orlando's i4 traffic problems would shrink significantly.
So without paying for toll roads that benefit will at least be added.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:29 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,746,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Tolls are part of the equation in most any state in terms of newer road construction and especially in a state where one doesn't pay any state or local income taxes, so factor that into your math when having that moment. I would definitely recommend SunPass to avoid long lines at the toll booths.
This prompted me to see how much state income tax I would owe in other places. I ran the numbers on online calculators for three states. Yep. I'd rather pay tolls.

And it looks like we have the best roads in the country.

What's the Best State in America for Its Roads and Bridges?

Florida ranks best in the nation for roads, bridges - Orlando Sentinel

Old 02-14-2015, 12:36 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
The roads in Florida are great compared to a lot of states. The complaints people make about Florida roads are they aren't black, but who cares. Here in San Francisco we have so many pot holes, some very deep that it wrecks your car. I've had to get 6 new tires in a couple years. I got a cracked rim from a deep pot hole and some area I literally have to drive on the median to avoid going into a patch of many pot holes.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:37 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,484 times
I rarely use the tool roads because they seem expensive and find it pretty easy to get around town without them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando