Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 06:42 PM

91 posts, read 160,558 times

Advertisements

How would you characterize the entrepreneurship vibe in Orlando? Are many people self employed in a wide variety of interesting businesses (organizers, coaches, event planners, corporate consultants, food truck owners, wellness trainers, bloggers, artists, etc.) that include more than the usual bedrock of businesses needed in every community (such accountants, financial planners, insurance agents, real estate agents)?

We are considering a move to the Orlando area for husband's job and I am looking to live in more of a community that offers this creative, entrepreneurial, ambitious vibe. (= a support network for my own business growth) I enjoyed such in Colorado. But, I have struck out here in south coastal, suburbia Texas.

Please share your honest and insightful opinions on the REAL Orlando vibe. What is there? What is emerging? What you think of the co-working facilities popping up near downtown? What's getting more popular, Etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 07:38 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,512,388 times
I wouldn't say it's a huge thing here (tourism will probably always dominate the economy), but I would say there's definitely emergence of interesting, locally owned businesses. Look at the neighborhoods of Audubon Park, Winter Park, Thornton Park, and College Park. Check out The Orlando Weekly and The Daily City for an insight into the goings on in town. Personally, as an artist, I'm really excited about what downtown is becoming.

Interestingly enough, I was just reading about how one of the new marketplaces, East End Market, is hosting classes about restaurant entrepreneurship.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
I wouldn't say it's a huge thing here (tourism will probably always dominate the economy), but I would say there's definitely emergence of interesting, locally owned businesses. Look at the neighborhoods of Audubon Park, Winter Park, Thornton Park, and College Park. Check out The Orlando Weekly and The Daily City for an insight into the goings on in town. Personally, as an artist, I'm really excited about what downtown is becoming.

Interestingly enough, I was just reading about how one of the new marketplaces, East End Market, is hosting classes about restaurant entrepreneurship.

Thanks for sharing your insights! We checked out Winter Park a couple years ago and were impressed. But, admittedly, we are not yet familiar with the other "X" Parks. Sounds like we should explore them a bit more. I'll also look to see if the pubs you mentioned offer online versions.

Cheers!

Old 02-19-2015, 10:38 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mod_Momma View Post
How would you characterize the entrepreneurship vibe in Orlando? Are many people self employed in a wide variety of interesting businesses (organizers, coaches, event planners, corporate consultants, food truck owners, wellness trainers, bloggers, artists, etc.) that include more than the usual bedrock of businesses needed in every community (such accountants, financial planners, insurance agents, real estate agents)?

We are considering a move to the Orlando area for husband's job and I am looking to live in more of a community that offers this creative, entrepreneurial, ambitious vibe. (= a support network for my own business growth) I enjoyed such in Colorado. But, I have struck out here in south coastal, suburbia Texas.

Please share your honest and insightful opinions on the REAL Orlando vibe. What is there? What is emerging? What you think of the co-working facilities popping up near downtown? What's getting more popular, Etc.
It's more similar to Texas vs California when it comes to a entrepreneurship vibe. There are a lot of business owners, but not many out of the box businesses that are found in the San Francisco Bay Area. There isn't much available venture capital in the Orlando area.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:52 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,791,155 times
Its interesting and very much up and coming probably a little more than other cities its size believe it or not and if you look at the Orlando business journal you see everything your talking about. California is one of kind in a way just because they had this big boost from the beginning and everybody else is trying to catch up however not everybody interesting in living in a competitive market like California so I recommend you give the area a visit and see if it sparks your interest. Tourism plays a part in a lot of states economies so don't let that deter you at all which it seems like its not. Orlando is working on building on its own success not Silicon Valley because no place can match how much capital and investment is built up their. IMHO Texas isn't even on any type of creative radar but some might say the same thing for Florida but I feel people here are much more invested into the arts. I mean seriously so much wealth is circulating in this state and some of which is used to fund various projects.

Last edited by Fl1150; 02-19-2015 at 11:01 PM..

Old 02-20-2015, 03:36 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,751,073 times
The types of businesses the OP is talking about are "organizers, coaches, event planners, corporate consultants, food truck owners, wellness trainers, bloggers, artists, etc." There is virtually no capital (from others) needed for these kind of things except for maybe the food truck people.

Nashville is a hotbed for a lot of these kinds of people. I'd say that is Nashville's big secret. Nashville is WAY more than a home for country and contemporary Christian musicians.

Since some of those things are location independent, I would say that there is a possibility that there is a small hub of people here who are in those fields.

https://savingsangel.com is based in Orlando.

Ken Davis and Dan Miller's Launch Conference will be in Orlando on April 13-16. I'm sure if you were to go to that, you would meet a lot of locals who are at least looking to work in those kind of fields.

Launch Conference

That's all I can think of for now.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:12 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
I know many entrepreneurs in this area. From small business owners with a handful of employees to personal trainers, yoga instructors, musicians, artists, interior designers, party planners, glass blowers, and the list goes on.

That said, I don't think there is an atypical number in this area over many other areas I've been to/lived in.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:28 AM

782 posts, read 1,369,281 times
I'm one of those small business owner-entrepreneur folks, and I know of several others who have moved down here recently. The no income tax bit is very helpful.

That said, because my business has been well established and I don't have the need to look for extra work, I don't have a pulse on the vibe of how it would work for start-ups. Here's some folks to contact who would have a good finger on the pulse, though:

Creative Entrepreneurs Orlando (Orlando, FL) - Meetup
National Association of Entrepreneurs - Winter Park (Winter Park, FL) - Meetup
Dr Phillips Professioal Networking Group (Orlando, FL) - Meetup

There's a few dozen other similar meetups, but that gives you some contacts in ones that are fairly active.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I know many entrepreneurs in this area. From small business owners with a handful of employees to personal trainers, yoga instructors, musicians, artists, interior designers, party planners, glass blowers, and the list goes on.

That said, I don't think there is an atypical number in this area over many other areas I've been to/lived in.
Thanks for sharing that - very encouraging. Btw, are there particular areas of town most attractive to these folks you know?

Old 02-20-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EditorJul View Post
I'm one of those small business owner-entrepreneur folks, and I know of several others who have moved down here recently. The no income tax bit is very helpful.

That said, because my business has been well established and I don't have the need to look for extra work, I don't have a pulse on the vibe of how it would work for start-ups. Here's some folks to contact who would have a good finger on the pulse, though:

Creative Entrepreneurs Orlando (Orlando, FL) - Meetup
National Association of Entrepreneurs - Winter Park (Winter Park, FL) - Meetup
Dr Phillips Professioal Networking Group (Orlando, FL) - Meetup

There's a few dozen other similar meetups, but that gives you some contacts in ones that are fairly active.
I really appreciate this and the resources you shared. The National Association of Entrepreneurs events look especially interesting for meeting a few like-minded folks. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando