Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 05:08 AM

467 posts, read 1,691,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky View Post
Oviedo is quite a commute if you are working in downtown Orlando. Ocoee is a bad animal and Winter Garden is iffy in my opinion as well. Windermere is great if you can afford it. Seminole County-Londwood, Lake Mary is nice also but you do have to drive I-4. But I would much rather live there than Ocoee or Winter Garden. The east part of Orlando-well, I just caught the eleven o'clock news and they were talking about an upsurge in gang violence in this area (relatively new to Central Fl). Hope this helps.
i live in oviedo and work in down town orlando. on the free roads it takes me 40-50 minutes during rush depending on lights. on the toll roads it takes me 35 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2006, 10:11 AM

6 posts, read 20,538 times
I live in Oviedo also. It is a great place to live with A+++++ Schools at all levels. I am acutually selling my house in Oviedo because I have to move closer to family. The house is two years old and in your price range. PM me and I can send you the MLS listing.

Thanks

Old 12-15-2006, 01:03 PM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 432,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABOUND View Post
Relocating to Central Florida. Will work in downtown Orlando.
Married, maybe kids in next couple of years. Want a good place to raise family... decent schools, low crime, etc.
Looking for small home in 250-300K range and don't really want a long commute. People tell me not to live anywhere where I'll have to drive on I-4. Where should I look? What is Ocoee like? Winderemere is probably out of price range, but what is it like? What about on the east side of Orlando?
Also, I hear the housing market is down. How much will sellers go down on houses in the price range mentioned above.
Thanks...
Ocoee is still nice. It will be a longer commute to downtown Orlando, but you will be in a safer, cleaner, healthier area. You can take the toll road called the 408 and avoid I-4. I-4 is hell, you will hate it, your life will be misery day to day.

East Orlando is trailer park world, crack town. It is filled with MS-13 gang members, crack dealers on every corner.

Please see the "Orlando... nice place to live thread" under the Florida and Orlando forums.

Old 12-15-2006, 01:58 PM

6 posts, read 20,538 times
Oh and Oviedo is in Seminole County not Orange County where Orlando is located.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:43 AM

42 posts, read 76,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian11 View Post
Ocoee is still nice. It will be a longer commute to downtown Orlando, but you will be in a safer, cleaner, healthier area. You can take the toll road called the 408 and avoid I-4. I-4 is hell, you will hate it, your life will be misery day to day.

East Orlando is trailer park world, crack town. It is filled with MS-13 gang members, crack dealers on every corner.

Please see the "Orlando... nice place to live thread" under the Florida and Orlando forums.
Ocoee is kind of depressing in my opinion. Maybe it's because of it's location near Winter Garden. I just know when ever I have had to drive down highway 50 and go through that Winter Garden/Ocoee area it appears kind of dirty and run down. Also, Winter Garden definately has a crime/drug element to it. It would definately not be a place I would consider purchasing property in.

Old 12-20-2006, 01:15 PM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky View Post
Ocoee is kind of depressing in my opinion. Maybe it's because of it's location near Winter Garden. I just know when ever I have had to drive down highway 50 and go through that Winter Garden/Ocoee area it appears kind of dirty and run down. Also, Winter Garden definately has a crime/drug element to it. It would definately not be a place I would consider purchasing property in.
You know, Ocoee has a LOT of trailers, but some of the newer construction looks nice, they are re-developing a lot in Ocoee.

Winter Garden is very bad, man, why would anyone want to be near WG these days? WG is very run down... you got it.

Windermere is still nice (kinda isolated and pricy) but nice.

Old 12-20-2006, 01:41 PM

45 posts, read 218,631 times
Thumbs up winter garden

We live in Winter Garden and LOVE it!! It has one of the prettiest downtown areas around. (completely redone a few years ago ... great design) The West Orange Bike Trail runs through the downtown ... north to Apopka and west towards Clermont.

We moved here 5 1/2 years ago from NC and have bought/sold here. We are in our 2nd home and CHOSE to stay in Winter Garden.

The town has changed a bunch just in the last 5 years. The downtown is a great place to gather and eat at one of the local restaurants. Our fav. is Downtown Brown's. (cute ice cream/sandwich shop)

There are always lots of family activities planned around town and the town does a great job of creating a small town feel even though it has grown like crazy.

The 429 (toll), 408 (E/W expressway), and the FL turnpike run through town. We can take the 429 to Disney(20 min) or the 408 to downtown Orlando (20 min without traffic ) or the Turnpike to the Fl Mall (20 min). Highway 50 going through W G is rundown (like most of 50!!) but there are plans to change all that. There is a huge new outdoor mall going in south of 50. (Fowler Groves) but there is plenty of shopping everywhere.

The people who don't like Winter Garden ... please inform!! Where did you live and how long ago?
Thanks!

Old 12-20-2006, 02:09 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,667 times
Mom2hn, the last time I was in Winter Garden they were in the middle of the downtown reconstruction. It looked like it was going to be lovely...like something out of the turn of the century. I'm happy to hear it turned out so well.

Old 12-20-2006, 02:57 PM

99 posts, read 553,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
Mom2hn, the last time I was in Winter Garden they were in the middle of the downtown reconstruction. It looked like it was going to be lovely...like something out of the turn of the century. I'm happy to hear it turned out so well.
This is one of the reasons we chose WG. It has potential. We love the feel and the location. It still has somewhat of a rural feel in some parts of the city. There's a BIG mall coming soon called Winter Garden Village. I'm curious how it will affect traffic in that part of town.

Old 12-21-2006, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2hn View Post
We live in Winter Garden and LOVE it!! It has one of the prettiest downtown areas around. (completely redone a few years ago ... great design) The West Orange Bike Trail runs through the downtown ... north to Apopka and west towards Clermont.

We moved here 5 1/2 years ago from NC and have bought/sold here. We are in our 2nd home and CHOSE to stay in Winter Garden.

The town has changed a bunch just in the last 5 years. The downtown is a great place to gather and eat at one of the local restaurants. Our fav. is Downtown Brown's. (cute ice cream/sandwich shop)

There are always lots of family activities planned around town and the town does a great job of creating a small town feel even though it has grown like crazy.

The 429 (toll), 408 (E/W expressway), and the FL turnpike run through town. We can take the 429 to Disney(20 min) or the 408 to downtown Orlando (20 min without traffic ) or the Turnpike to the Fl Mall (20 min). Highway 50 going through W G is rundown (like most of 50!!) but there are plans to change all that. There is a huge new outdoor mall going in south of 50. (Fowler Groves) but there is plenty of shopping everywhere.

The people who don't like Winter Garden ... please inform!! Where did you live and how long ago?
Thanks!

I drive through Winter Garden all the time, coming from Hiawassee and making a right or left on (cannot recall road name... ugh). It is very run down on those areas, maybe you could share some pics of the "nice side of Winter Garden" you speak of?? I only know the old strech near MetroWest.

Merry Christmas!!
Chris
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando