Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2015, 08:15 AM

20 posts, read 28,897 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move to Florida by the beginning of next year. Our house is about to sell and we will be living with in laws to save the money for the moving expenses. (Selling the house zeroed us out ) I understand to find a job before moving down. I will be about to start my masters in social work and hope to get a job as a case manager for children's home. That being said I had a couple questions about location.

I am looking at the areas between Daytona and Orlando. We aren't looking to rent for more than a 1000/mo. I find that this is doable in Sanford and deLand. Both of which look like nice towns.

I'm looking for a safe area- I understand some crime but basic property crime not violent or many drug related. Decent schools, the schools here are rated 3-5 and I do believe that a child can do well in a lower rated school. Just no 1,2 rated schools.

I was looking at homes for sale and I noticed that there aren't many great options for the 80-100k range. Is this something to expect? We would eventually want to buy a house (if we love the area), but we will never be upper middle class. Just plain old average family. Sometime living paycheck to paycheck.

We are moving, because we want to. It's always been something we wanted to try. And we wanted to try while our girls are young (5&2). And if we don't like it, well we tried.

Am I looking in the right areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 08:52 AM

I also forgot to mention we'd feel more comfortable in a town of 15-30k and within thirty minutes of a big city.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:34 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Your budget isn't really doable at all in terms of places where you would feel comfortable living with children, at least not in the immediate area you mention (Orlando metro area). Given your desire for decent schools and a budget that fits you might take a look at Gainesville which by nature is primarily a college town where you'll find reasonably priced housing in fairly safe areas with a good school system too. It's a bigger city (124K) but fairly spread out and not densely populated so it won't feel that large to you.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:27 AM

What is a doable budget for these areas? I have found plenty of house within our price range and compared them to the trulia crime map. All seem to be in moderately safe areas with the only crime being typically trespassing and theft. (Both of which can be found in safe neighborhoods also).

I have looked at Gainesville not does look nice. I was hoping to be closer to the beach though. And is employment an issue there, with it being a college town I assume getting employment unless you are a professional is an issue.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:32 AM

I'm sorry I meant to say it DOES look nice.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromkansas View Post
What is a doable budget for these areas? I have found plenty of house within our price range and compared them to the trulia crime map. All seem to be in moderately safe areas with the only crime being typically trespassing and theft. (Both of which can be found in safe neighborhoods also).

I have looked at Gainesville not does look nice. I was hoping to be closer to the beach though. And is employment an issue there, with it being a college town I assume getting employment unless you are a professional is an issue.
If you can up your budget $1200 that'll help considerably with options in nicer neighborhoods. Gainesville is more than a one industry town and has a decent number of non-university affiliated employment options. I do get wanting to be closer to the beach but you would find it similar to areas closer to Orlando that you're considering where going to the beach isn't spur of the moment because of the distance involved.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:33 PM

Getting up to 1200-1300 could be doable. With that in mind, any other suggestions. I'm only familiar with the Daytona beach/Ormond beach area.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:22 PM

11 posts, read 16,711 times
1200-1300 for rent would be much more realistic, I was unsuccessful finding anything below $1200 in any neighborhoods I would feel comfortable in with kids. Definitely look into Longwood or Lake Mary, they're just a little closer to Orlando than Sanford or Deland. We spent our first year here in Lake Mary after moving from NC and loved it. Our 3 bedroom house was $1295 which was reasonable for where we were, just not what we were prepared for after only paying $750 for a mortgage in NC. We are currently in Altamonte Springs in an apartment which is much easier on our budget for now! Good luck!!

Old 03-20-2015, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmf2006 View Post
1200-1300 for rent would be much more realistic, I was unsuccessful finding anything below $1200 in any neighborhoods I would feel comfortable in with kids. Definitely look into Longwood or Lake Mary, they're just a little closer to Orlando than Sanford or Deland. We spent our first year here in Lake Mary after moving from NC and loved it. Our 3 bedroom house was $1295 which was reasonable for where we were, just not what we were prepared for after only paying $750 for a mortgage in NC. We are currently in Altamonte Springs in an apartment which is much easier on our budget for now! Good luck!!
Actually not since Sanford borders Lake Mary and I can get to I-4 or the 417 from the west side of Sanford a lot quicker than most people in Lake Mary can. The schools are better and the rent would be a bit less as well generally speaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando