Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 10:39 AM

11 posts, read 10,119 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!
My husband and I will be relocating to Orlando area in several months. My husband is a pilot and we need to live close to the airport (30 min drive max). I will be attending Seminole State College in Sanford, and our 6 y.o. son will be going to elementary school (don't know which one yet). We are not familiar with Orlando neighborhoods, so any input would be appreciated, we are thinking Sanford. We will be renting an apartment for about 2 years before buying a house, since we want to make sure we like living in Florida. We want a nice, clean, safe neighborhood with a good elementary school nearby. Health food store in a near distance would be a plus. Sorry If similar question had been asked already, but from what I read, I didn't find all the answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 11:08 AM

17,210 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaBeLov View Post
Hello everyone!
My husband and I will be relocating to Orlando area in several months. My husband is a pilot and we need to live close to the airport (30 min drive max). I will be attending Seminole State College in Sanford, and our 6 y.o. son will be going to elementary school (don't know which one yet). We are not familiar with Orlando neighborhoods, so any input would be appreciated, we are thinking Sanford. We will be renting an apartment for about 2 years before buying a house, since we want to make sure we like living in Florida. We want a nice, clean, safe neighborhood with a good elementary school nearby. Health food store in a near distance would be a plus. Sorry If similar question had been asked already, but from what I read, I didn't find all the answers.
Well, which airport will he be working out of?
There's an international airport in Sanford, and then the bigger MCO airport is a good 45 minutes South of Sanford.
In general, Sanford is good, but so is Oviedo, Winter Springs, and some other areas along 417.
Basically, stick to communities with rapid access to 417 and you shouldn't have a hard time finding safe neighborhoods with good elementary schools (Seminole County is known for good public schools) and easy commutes to both SSC and either of the two airports.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:15 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,956,177 times
There are a number of options in Sanford that would work well for you. By the way I'm a former Philly resident living in Sanford the past five years. : ) Check out Arbor Lakes and Colonial Village at Twin Lakes, both are zoned for "A"-rated Bentley Elementary which is very close to both (walking distance from Colonial Village). There are two "health food" stores within a 10-15 minute drive also (Earth Origins Market and M&M Vitamins which has a small food/produce section, plus a Fresh Market which has a lot of organics).

Optimus Arbor Lakes Apartment Apartments - Sanford, FL 32771 | Apartments for Rent
Apartments in Sanford, FL | Colonial Village at Twin Lakes

Old 04-01-2015, 05:33 PM

11 posts, read 10,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Well, which airport will he be working out of?
There's an international airport in Sanford, and then the bigger MCO airport is a good 45 minutes South of Sanford.
In general, Sanford is good, but so is Oviedo, Winter Springs, and some other areas along 417.
Basically, stick to communities with rapid access to 417 and you shouldn't have a hard time finding safe neighborhoods with good elementary schools (Seminole County is known for good public schools) and easy commutes to both SSC and either of the two airports.
He will be flying out of Orlando International Airport.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:37 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,791,155 times
Yes Sanford is nice also look at Altamonte Springs, Lake Mary and Casselberry as well as those are nice areas with decent schools. Depending which airport your working at I will suggest Windermere and Winter Park if your working at the bigger MCO airport.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:56 AM

To be under 30 minutes routinely of Orlando International you'll need to be as far south as the Waterford Lakes/UCF area at least, which doesn't offer the best of public schools (or apartments). I can almost always make it to the terminal at MCO in 40 minutes from my home in west Sanford, without driving more than 5-7 mph over the speed limit. Going further south places your husband a bit closer but will increase your commute to Seminole State to well over 30 minutes also, so factor that into your decision as well.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:26 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,342,054 times
If you're husband will be flying out of MCO you should consider Winter Park, Baldwin Park, Delaney Park, Thornton Park, Wadeview Park, Conway, and Lake Nona. Seminole County is simply too far to risk a 30 min MAX drive to MCO, even on the 417 that would be pushing it. The areas listed above are all nice areas with good schools and should put you closer to MCO and not too far from SSC. Best of Luck.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:56 AM

78 posts, read 120,589 times
Smile Lake Nona vs Lee Vista

A safe and short commute while living in an affordable neighborhood wirh good elementary and middle schools would be the Vista lakes, Lee vista , North Lake nona areas.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamigra1200 View Post
A safe and short commute while living in an affordable neighborhood wirh good elementary and middle schools would be the Vista lakes, Lee vista , North Lake nona areas.
The OP will be attending Seminole State College in Sanford....

Old 04-02-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
If you're husband will be flying out of MCO you should consider Winter Park, Baldwin Park, Delaney Park, Thornton Park, Wadeview Park, Conway, and Lake Nona. Seminole County is simply too far to risk a 30 min MAX drive to MCO, even on the 417 that would be pushing it. The areas listed above are all nice areas with good schools and should put you closer to MCO and not too far from SSC. Best of Luck.
The areas mentioned may move the husband a few minutes closer to MCO, but largely places the OP 35-40 minutes from Seminole State. I would think her commute factors into the conversation someplace as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando