Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 06:18 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,677,344 times

Advertisements

Hello.

1. Sugarloaf Mountain. The sentinel wrote a little column saying I needed to bike around that area, and to the top. Are there plenty of good, smooth biking routes near that spot (the high point in peninsular Florida), or should I just forget about the bike and ride to the top to take a picture? Thinking about planning a half day trip to Clermont sometime soon.

2. Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park. I realize this is 2 hours south but I do think it's closer to Orlando than any other major city. I've heard it's the best stargazing in the state and views look phenomenal. I want to potentially go there for Perseids in August. Problem is, I'm guessing a place that far in land may be "primitive", and so to avoid catching malaria or getting eaten by alligators, I do kind of want to know how "into the jungle" I will get myself by heading down that way, and if there is anything I can do about that.

3. Mosquito Lagoon. Really likewise to concerns for KPP, sounds awesome to kayak in bioluminescent waters, however, I want to know if any precautions need taken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 09:32 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Have you been paddleboarding on Lake Killarney?

Old 05-06-2015, 05:41 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
Hello.

1. Sugarloaf Mountain. The sentinel wrote a little column saying I needed to bike around that area, and to the top. Are there plenty of good, smooth biking routes near that spot (the high point in peninsular Florida), or should I just forget about the bike and ride to the top to take a picture? Thinking about planning a half day trip to Clermont sometime soon.

2. Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park. I realize this is 2 hours south but I do think it's closer to Orlando than any other major city. I've heard it's the best stargazing in the state and views look phenomenal. I want to potentially go there for Perseids in August. Problem is, I'm guessing a place that far in land may be "primitive", and so to avoid catching malaria or getting eaten by alligators, I do kind of want to know how "into the jungle" I will get myself by heading down that way, and if there is anything I can do about that.

3. Mosquito Lagoon. Really likewise to concerns for KPP, sounds awesome to kayak in bioluminescent waters, however, I want to know if any precautions need taken.
1. Bike around the area. It's nice, as far as Florida goes and mountains are concerned.

2. Carry bug spray. And you won't get eaten by alligators, so don't worry about that. I'd suggest, if anything, you just read a little bit about alligator behavior, that way you know where and where not to go. They are particularly dangerous during breeding season, as they are VERY protective of their young, and the young can be hard to spot at times.

3. No idea.

If I may suggest, check out streams heading North into the Ocala National Forest. I like to take off from Lake Eustis, head up Haines Creek into Lake Griffin, and then head up the Ocklawaha River. VERY scenic. I use Jetskis to get up there, but the creek and the river have lots of no wake zones, so for the most part, it's a quiet, peaceful ride.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:50 AM

629 posts, read 1,721,857 times
Quote:
Hello.

1. The roads are in decent shape out there and there are quite a few routes that cyclists do, plus you have the South Lake-Lake Minneola Scenic Trail and Van Fleet trail out that way. Try calling Winter Garden Wheel Works ((407) 654-1496), they can probably give you a good cycling route or they have group rides that occasionally include Sugarloaf. If you're going to do it, cycle to the top of it, don't just drive up.

2. Can't speak for this one.

3. Friends have done this and there's no special precautions needed, but I'd recommend taking one of the guided bioluminescent kayak tours the first time rather than just going out on your own.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:01 AM

Re: PDF, no but that is a brilliant idea. And I even see now how that would go even more perfectly with a trip to Shake Shack after (I still need to get myself there!) or on a fancier night a stop at Hillstone. Q: How hard are SUPs to do? I checked the website of the place, and it APPEARS that they have the kayaks also (also exciting because the only two other opportunities I saw online for just plain kayak rental and not tours are at Wekiwa River or Melbourne). While I wouldn't mind trying SUPs sometime, I have to say that I get anxious somewhat easily, and I definitely don't have the best balance or coordination in the world (ice skating and skiing were a heck of a time for me). Still though a fantastic idea. Unfortunately though it looks like that company only rents out during the middle of the day, that would be a perfect thing to do at sunset.

There are also tours off Lake Virginia, and I believe that often times Rollins students and other young people go and swim in Lake Virginia as it is one of the few lakes around (I believe Lake Claire at UCF is also one of them, either that or student just plain want to swim) in Central Florida where there isn't a heavy presence of alligators.

Arcenal: Thanks on the biking around. I will go a few miles around in that immediate area. I don't see many specifically marked paths around, but I'm sure traffic isn't great so I will probably just go there sometime to bike a few miles, visit the Citrus Tower and a Winery or Orange Grove and the President's Hall of Fame, as well as swinging by a good place to eat over there somewhere. Any ideas on a good starting point for all of that? I do see that the South Lake Trail is marked off as being bike protected for a little bit, so perhaps that would be worth trying as well.

I'll definitely keep tons of bug spray for when I make that trip and take necessary precautions regarding alligators. Have you been down there to watch before/are there any groups that sort of gather around that evening (e.g. safety in numbers?)

Thanks for your suggestions guys. Never been up towards to Ocala National Forest, and so that is also on my to do list on a weekend sometime!

Old 05-06-2015, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL2MT View Post
1. The roads are in decent shape out there and there are quite a few routes that cyclists do, plus you have the South Lake-Lake Minneola Scenic Trail and Van Fleet trail out that way. Try calling Winter Garden Wheel Works ((407) 654-1496), they can probably give you a good cycling route or they have group rides that occasionally include Sugarloaf. If you're going to do it, cycle to the top of it, don't just drive up.

2. Can't speak for this one.

3. Friends have done this and there's no special precautions needed, but I'd recommend taking one of the guided bioluminescent kayak tours the first time rather than just going out on your own.
Fair enough, I will have to hit them up! I had been uncertain about how often I'd have to be getting off for traffic, but if that won't be an issue, it is something I will do. I had been thinking before about just doing the length of the South Lake/Lake Minneola Trail, then stopping somewhere good for lunch, followed by going to the Clermont Historic Village, then driving up to the top of Sugarloaf and spending the rest of the day between Lakeridge Winery, Citrus Tower, Clermont Downtown and Showcase of Citrus. I feel like all that in itself would likely take up most of a day.

Yeah I'm planning on doing that I just didn't know if the Mosquito Lagoon was aptly named and I had to be overly aware.

Thanks!

Old 05-06-2015, 08:40 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Re: PDF, no but that is a brilliant idea. And I even see now how that would go even more perfectly with a trip to Shake Shack after (I still need to get myself there!) or on a fancier night a stop at Hillstone. Q: How hard are SUPs to do? I checked the website of the place, and it APPEARS that they have the kayaks also (also exciting because the only two other opportunities I saw online for just plain kayak rental and not tours are at Wekiwa River or Melbourne). While I wouldn't mind trying SUPs sometime, I have to say that I get anxious somewhat easily, and I definitely don't have the best balance or coordination in the world (ice skating and skiing were a heck of a time for me). Still though a fantastic idea. Unfortunately though it looks like that company only rents out during the middle of the day, that would be a perfect thing to do at sunset.
It's perfect for a Shake Shack visit. Why do you think I recommended it? But yeah it's quite scenic out there. SUPs are fine for me, but you might want to start small.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:24 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Fair enough, I will have to hit them up! I had been uncertain about how often I'd have to be getting off for traffic, but if that won't be an issue, it is something I will do. I had been thinking before about just doing the length of the South Lake/Lake Minneola Trail, then stopping somewhere good for lunch, followed by going to the Clermont Historic Village, then driving up to the top of Sugarloaf and spending the rest of the day between Lakeridge Winery, Citrus Tower, Clermont Downtown and Showcase of Citrus. I feel like all that in itself would likely take up most of a day.

Yeah I'm planning on doing that I just didn't know if the Mosquito Lagoon was aptly named and I had to be overly aware.

Thanks!
Uh...

One thing at a time.

First off, if you like biking hills you will love the ride up Sugarloaf. Many cyclists on the weekend, and overall traffic is very understanding and alert.

If you want to start in downtown Clermont there is plenty of free public parking both on street and off. The public lots are signed with markers pointing to them, you can also park in the City Hall lot.

South Lake Minneola trail is very nice and again lots of cyclists. More places open on Sunday than Saturday for lunch in downtown Clermont. The Farmer's market is going on, there are usually food trucks as well as some of the restaurants being open. There are picnic tables outside city hall and bike lock racks along the sidewalk on Montrose. There is also a place called ElCerro on Route 50 that isn't much to look at but has great food. Also a Fish and Chips Place, CLermont Fish House, also on 50--both a1/2 mile or so from downtown.

Clermont Historic Village is cool, but you can see the entire thing in under an hour--even with a guided tour. They have the option to donate a few bucks if you take a tour, but it's not required.

I would skip Lakeridge Winery unless they are having an event and you want to stop at one of the food trucks.

Citrus Tower is OK, look on Groupon of in the Entertainment book for a coupon. IMHO it's not worth full price, but a 2-1 is good.

Showcase of Citrus is a good 12-15 mile drive from the area you are talking about, and I'm not sure it's really worth going to. It's kinda tourist trap-ish IMHO. Along 561 going to SugarLoaf is a pick your own blueberry place (in season).

FYI--Hall of Presidents seems to be open/closed sporadically without a lot of rhyme or reason, so it might not be an option.

Let me know if there are any specific questions about the area.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:31 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Uh...

One thing at a time.

First off, if you like biking hills you will love the ride up Sugarloaf. Many cyclists on the weekend, and overall traffic is very understanding and alert.

If you want to start in downtown Clermont there is plenty of free public parking both on street and off. The public lots are signed with markers pointing to them, you can also park in the City Hall lot.

South Lake Minneola trail is very nice and again lots of cyclists. More places open on Sunday than Saturday for lunch in downtown Clermont. The Farmer's market is going on, there are usually food trucks as well as some of the restaurants being open. There are picnic tables outside city hall and bike lock racks along the sidewalk on Montrose. There is also a place called ElCerro on Route 50 that isn't much to look at but has great food. Also a Fish and Chips Place, CLermont Fish House, also on 50--both a1/2 mile or so from downtown.

Clermont Historic Village is cool, but you can see the entire thing in under an hour--even with a guided tour. They have the option to donate a few bucks if you take a tour, but it's not required.

I would skip Lakeridge Winery unless they are having an event and you want to stop at one of the food trucks.

Citrus Tower is OK, look on Groupon of in the Entertainment book for a coupon. IMHO it's not worth full price, but a 2-1 is good.

Showcase of Citrus is a good 12-15 mile drive from the area you are talking about, and I'm not sure it's really worth going to. It's kinda tourist trap-ish IMHO. Along 561 going to SugarLoaf is a pick your own blueberry place (in season).

FYI--Hall of Presidents seems to be open/closed sporadically without a lot of rhyme or reason, so it might not be an option.

Let me know if there are any specific questions about the area.
Have you ever done their wine-tasting/tour?
My wife and I did San Sabastian in St-Augustine (same company) a few years ago and we loved it. Granted, she's a wine lover, but it was nice.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:36 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Have you ever done their wine-tasting/tour?
My wife and I did San Sabastian in St-Augustine (same company) a few years ago and we loved it. Granted, she's a wine lover, but it was nice.
It was a boring tour with a lot of inaccuracies in describing the wine making process and the wines were putrid and very low quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando