Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2015, 06:19 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,528,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I have nothing against having a commuter rail go through the metro. I just think this **** needs to be elevated, much like the one in Miami.
This idiotic idea that they should use the existing rail that cuts through major thoroughfares is beyond stupid.
I agree or at lease car viaducts over the major crossing anything with more than 3 lanes both ways should get a viaduct, one laners? No. Arcenal are you caught by the trains often? If so how often does it happen to you? The trains are not that long so how long do the crossing gates stay down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 06:27 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,399,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post

This is going to make some posters pull all their hair out.....

Osceola County celebrates $93 million grant for SunRail - Orlando Sentinel
Well, I don't have a problem with them building it in Osceola, but Sunrail should only be used by responsible people. Not thugs who ride from Kissimmee to Lake Mary to murder people.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
Well, I don't have a problem with them building it in Osceola, but Sunrail should only be used by responsible people. Not thugs who ride from Kissimmee to Lake Mary to murder people.
well, thugs, christians, Puerto Ricans, homosexuals, Magic fans, Publix employees and snake charmers are all using Sunrail. Why single out the thugs? Publix employees can be murderers too.

Tarpon Springs Publix worker to go on trial in 2010 fatal shooting | Tampa Bay Times

Old 09-29-2015, 08:43 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,980,377 times
Quote:
well, thugs, christians, Puerto Ricans, homosexuals, Magic fans, Publix employees and snake charmers are all using Sunrail. Why single out the thugs? Publix employees can be murderers too.

Tarpon Springs Publix worker to go on trial in 2010 fatal shooting | Tampa Bay Times
Joey already said in a previous thread that he doesn't feel safe to go inside a Publix because there was a fight on the news at one of their locations. He added that he told his GF to shop at Winn Dixie instead of Publix for safety reasons.

I wish I was making this ______ up, but I promise I'm not hehehe

Old 09-30-2015, 06:10 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
I agree or at lease car viaducts over the major crossing anything with more than 3 lanes both ways should get a viaduct, one laners? No. Arcenal are you caught by the trains often? If so how often does it happen to you? The trains are not that long so how long do the crossing gates stay down?

In Longwood, the tracks cut across 434 just a few feet before the Ronald Reagan intersection. You have two major thoroughfares, a very busy intersection, and now, a train that cuts in front of it.
It's not about how long it takes for it to pass -- it's very quick -- it's about the mess it creates due to its location. It's like having two conflicting traffic lights 3 car lengths from each other.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:53 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,433,116 times
Quote:
In Longwood, the tracks cut across 434 just a few feet before the Ronald Reagan intersection. You have two major thoroughfares, a very busy intersection, and now, a train that cuts in front of it.
It's not about how long it takes for it to pass -- it's very quick -- it's about the mess it creates due to its location. It's like having two conflicting traffic lights 3 car lengths from each other.
This is the outcome of excessive urban sprawl and poor road planning, the only solution would have been for an elevated track to be built in this area, however, this would require a significant financial investment from the City of Longwood or Seminole County which I doubt they are willing to fork up..

Old 09-30-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Well I wasnt trying to argue or anything I was just curious where the mess is if the train comes through the intersection very quickly. It was sounding like the trains stop at the intersection to pick up and drop off riders causing traffic to pile up, but if Sunrail just goes through it quickly Im sure the traffic lights would work everything out. Maybe this particular stop does need a viaduct then?

Old 09-30-2015, 10:11 AM

605 posts, read 712,546 times
Quote:
You had better not go to Chicago then. This kind of thing is EVERYWHERE. And 1000 times worse in terms of the snarled traffic it causes.

This is where I used to live:

Devon/Caldwell/Central/Lehigh/Canadian Pacific R.R./Metra Intersection - Chicago, Illinois

FOUR major roads cross here, in addition to the train.

Nightmare Central.

And the Metra trains in Chicago run FAR more often then the once an hour SunRail trains down here. So the traffic is always a mess during rush hour.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Well I wasnt trying to argue or anything I was just curious where the mess is if the train comes through the intersection very quickly. It was sounding like the trains stop at the intersection to pick up and drop off riders causing traffic to pile up, but if Sunrail just goes through it quickly Im sure the traffic lights would work everything out. Maybe this particular stop does need a viaduct then?
Didn't think you were trying to argue at all .

The issue is that it's just too close to such a major intersection/traffic signal.

Here's an article that goes into deeper detail about this particular stretch:

Florida transportation officials promise relief at three major railroad crossings in Longwood - Orlando Sentinel

I like the idea of the Sunrail -- I've considered using it to get to the gym and back from work -- it just needs MAJOR improvements to be efficient.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamouse View Post
You had better not go to Chicago then. This kind of thing is EVERYWHERE. And 1000 times worse in terms of the snarled traffic it causes.

This is where I used to live:

Devon/Caldwell/Central/Lehigh/Canadian Pacific R.R./Metra Intersection - Chicago, Illinois

FOUR major roads cross here, in addition to the train.

Nightmare Central.

And the Metra trains in Chicago run FAR more often then the once an hour SunRail trains down here. So the traffic is always a mess during rush hour.

Doesn't take away from the fact that it's a poor and extremely dangerous design.

Chicago needs a commuter rail, whereas Orlando doesn't particularly. Therefore, Orlando should not have rushed to put this thing into operation. The city had plenty of time to develop a cohesive, functional system. They didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando