Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 10:09 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,382,471 times

Advertisements

Barring anything in Leesburg, I doubt OP would have any issues with elementary schools in Lake County...
Triangle Elementary in Mount Dora, while not the greatest, is decent.
Round Lake Elementary is a B rated school (borderline A) as is Seminole Springs in nearby Eustis.
Either way, you won't go wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 10:35 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
The crazy thing is that the Leesburg HS is such an incredibly beautiful building. Just gorgeous. It looks like it belongs in Howey as opposed to downtown Leesburg.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:56 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Considering location, it's not bad. That's roughly $19/hour. Teachers aren't known to have high salaries.

yea I know,,, but think that is $19 divided much different right? no summer pay or grading test till midnight pay and bringing own supplies pay - or teach conference pay I say under-pay

Old 07-31-2015, 01:24 PM

17,184 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
yea I know,,, but think that is $19 divided much different right? no summer pay or grading test till midnight pay and bringing own supplies pay - or teach conference pay I say under-pay
It's $19/hr spread out through the whole year. Most teachers opt to be paid all year. Considering they get full summers off (3 months), their pay is significantly higher than $19/hr in reality. It's actually $25/hr.

And this working till midnight from home thing is not limited to teachers -- virtually every professional job expects this of employees once in a while. I can't tell you how many times I had to go over prints and designs from home in order to have things ready for a presentation the following morning.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
It's $19/hr spread out through the whole year. Most teachers opt to be paid all year. Considering they get full summers off (3 months), their pay is significantly higher than $19/hr in reality. It's actually $25/hr.

And this working till midnight from home thing is not limited to teachers -- virtually every professional job expects this of employees once in a while. I can't tell you how many times I had to go over prints and designs from home in order to have things ready for a presentation the following morning.
This. $19 an hour for only working nine months a year plus a couple of 1-2 week breaks during that time and PTO days on top of it isn't such a bad paycheck. Most teachers I know take the summer off. One works every other summer so she can take month long trips to Europe, Asia, and South America every other summer.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:52 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Quote:

Not to hijack the thread with another topic, but...

I think the difference between teachers and most other professions is that you don't have a bunch of people in the media and government talking about how lazy, self-absorbed, "don't care about the kids," etc. they are.

Police officers are starting to get a piece of what teachers have gotten over the past 15 or so years, but at least media outlets are proactively searching for and posting positive police stories to balance things out.

Old 07-31-2015, 03:23 PM

146 posts, read 220,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
My girlfriend and I are saving up to move to either Clermont or Lake Mary. We can't take Orange County crime anymore.

Sounds absolutely thrilling.

Old 07-31-2015, 03:29 PM

124 posts, read 129,789 times
Definitely don't want to get into a discussion on teachers pay and conditions haha

But to get back on topic. Is leesburg really not safe? Even if I ended up living out of town but close by to a job, would that be reccomended?

Old 07-31-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb13 View Post
Definitely don't want to get into a discussion on teachers pay and conditions haha

But to get back on topic. Is leesburg really not safe? Even if I ended up living out of town but close by to a job, would that be reccomended?
I really can't recommend Leesburg. Take a drive around there and you'll see why. There are a couple of apartment complexes that would be great--if they were in a different area. The ones across from the college are a good example. It seems like a lot of the apartments are either run down dumps in a bad area or student ghetto.

You'd be so much better off renting a cottage in Howey, or even driving in from Tavares which has some nice and some not so hot areas. It's pretty easy to tell by looking in Tavares. it's not one of those places that looks great by day but is horrid at night.

Old 07-31-2015, 03:58 PM

124 posts, read 129,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I really can't recommend Leesburg. Take a drive around there and you'll see why. There are a couple of apartment complexes that would be great--if they were in a different area. The ones across from the college are a good example. It seems like a lot of the apartments are either run down dumps in a bad area or student ghetto.

You'd be so much better off renting a cottage in Howey, or even driving in from Tavares which has some nice and some not so hot areas. It's pretty easy to tell by looking in Tavares. it's not one of those places that looks great by day but is horrid at night.

gotcha. good to know. safety is my main priority so I just want to get an idea of what I'm looking into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando