Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 08:51 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamouse View Post
You said only seniors care about taxes when it comes to choosing a place to live. You weren't talking about just yourself.

And I wasn't talking about Manhattan. *I was talking about Chicago, average "suburbia" Chicago, not the fancy downtown area. *

You must be young and not in a very high tax bracket - heck you probably get the "earned income credit" (another joke) so you don't feel the real squeeze of the tax noose...

I'm here to tell you that the savings here in FL is much more than just 7%. Although that is a lot - can you imagine how much you would have if you put that 7% into a 401k or something?

There is a huge difference in one's quality of life when you can keep more of the salary you work hard for. More vacations, things you need, more going out for dinner or whatever. All that is severely curtailed when you live somewhere with high taxes. When Illinois raised the state income tax from 3% to 5%, that took an extra 2500 out of our pockets each year. That was our vacation budget. So no vacation for us! Taxes matter a GREAT deal to those that pay them.
I said, "I know retirees do it a lot, but I think younger and middle aged families think more about quality of life and the people over the tax rates."

I was using Manhattan as an example, since that seems to be very common on the FL forums.

I understand if you are being squeezed to death by taxes that living elsewhere makes more economical sense. Put it this way, if you can earn $60k in Raleigh NC or $60k in Orlando, I'm going to base my decision off of what I like/dislike about eachother before I take into consideration, well... I dont want to pay state income tax so I choose FL. When I know that Raleigh is a better choice for the family, for the school system, for safety, etc.

As for your "you must be young and not in a very high tax bracket," I'm not sure how to respond to that one. You might be surprised. Although I still consider myself young, being in my early 30's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 08:38 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
honestly, i'm not sure whay several ppl have laughed at this. we make a bit more than this combined, and with all the expenses, etc. i dont see how ppl do it on less than at least 100k. rent/mortgage, groceries, day care, etc.
When we got out of college, our combined income was around $70k. With that, we were able to buy our house, maintain 2 good vehicles, and support our 2 kids, while never having to live too frugally.

Now, at over 100k, we are able to do much more, yes, but to say one needs 100k to be comfortable here is ridiculous.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:00 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Ok, it is my opinion, that a couple needs 100k to live comfortably here (with kids) and all the other expenses.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:25 AM

100 posts, read 163,100 times
Saw this story on Charlotte Observer this morning:

Where do Mecklenburg

I would say in the last 2 to 3 years there has been a huge influx of people moving to Charlotte. Has it been the same with Orlando?

Old 09-01-2015, 09:06 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,397,581 times
Anything over $12 an hour is big money in O-town.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:46 AM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,009 times
Driving with your hazard lights on is against the law by the way

Old 09-01-2015, 10:06 AM

127 posts, read 313,932 times
OP... you get free parking at Disney with your Annual Pass.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:11 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
Anything over $12 an hour is big money in O-town.
No... Let's not go crazy, now. $12/hour is college/intern money. Nothing more.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:25 AM

125 posts, read 462,589 times
$12 an hour is fairly low. I think if you have any form of a college degree and a skill set you can earn more than that. I was fortunate to get approved to work remotely, so I'm bringing my NY salary with me, but when I was looking for a new job (before getting approved) I was looking at 30k salary cut which would still have had me at a great salary in Orlando.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:32 AM

422 posts, read 412,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgonzalez79 View Post

When driving, you have to slow down to about 10 MPH and throw on your hazard lights because you almost can't see through these giant rain drops (others do the same so don't feel weird about it).
This is actually illegal in Florida. Please dont be one of "those drivers".

thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando