Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 09:37 AM

2 posts, read 2,923 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering how much the homes were for the nice areas? I am not talking the millionaire mansions but the regular homes in areas such as Winter Park and Lake Mary. The problem with using the realty sites is that I don't know if the address for the houses I am looking at are in the good part of town or the bad part of town. So for regular working professionals how much are the single family homes in Winter Park and Lake Mary? How hard has the housing market been hit here? I search for posts and a lot of posts come up from 06, 07 and the prices people are saying for houses in nice areas are WAY higher than what i currently see on the realtor sites.
Can nice houses be purchased for $300 or less in a nice safe area?

What about condos? I see a lot of nice looking condos for $230 or so.

For example for my town own long island i would say the houses range from 400k to 600k depending on the condition of the house but there are no bad areas in this town as far as crime or ghetto areas. That is the kind of description i am looking for.

Thanks.

P.S. I am kinda getting a little scared of making the move to Orlando since in those same searches all i see is such negative posts towards Orlando in general. Its pretty ridiculous, just do a google search for terms like is Orlando a safe area or nice place to live. And i see posts after posts of people bad mouthing Orlando and its suburbs. Things like Home Invasions come up a lot. Drugs. Gangs. Kirkland Ave. Metro West etc... I have visited and never saw any of that or thought it was that bad. These people make it sound like its Syria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 11:48 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
It really varies, most nice areas in Central Florida range from middle class to very affluent. For example you could EASILY find a nice home in a good neighborhood in Altamonte Springs, Maitland, Winter Park or Lake Mary for under $300k, yet you'll still shop at the same places and your kids will attend the same schools as millionaires. Prices here have fallen dramatically since 08 and I think they are starting to approach realistic home values again.

As for the crime, obviously those people are exaggerating. Crime is an issue here like any city this size but it is far from Syria here. The reality is most violent crimes here, like most places, is drug related. If you're not into that lifestyle, you don't have too much to worry about. Most burglaries happen in affluent areas that border not so nice areas and it's mostly home break-ins when no ones home. I'm sorry to say there really are no areas here that have NO bad areas at all. Most towns here, even the best, have some bad areas, except maybe with the exception of Windermere. But a bad area of Lake Mary or Winter Park is going to pale in comparison to really bad areas. But really, if you could afford to live in a good area of Orlando your probably going to be more worried about neighborhoods messing up your lawn or mailbox than serious crime.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:25 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
There are nice homes in the $120K range on up in good areas.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:39 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
Each area will be different - Windermere starts at 160k, Winter park, 130k for the most part , Lake Mary, - 150k, East Orlando about the same, Oviedo -132k and so forth. It is easy to get a nice home under 300k in our area, in a neighborhood you will like and feel safe in.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:32 PM

35 posts, read 114,203 times
We timeshare in kissimmee and call the sheriff to complain about noise and were told their to busy handling all of the rape and murder calls on a daily baisis to help us

Old 01-15-2013, 02:00 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewplanman View Post
We timeshare in kissimmee and call the sheriff to complain about noise and were told their to busy handling all of the rape and murder calls on a daily baisis to help us
There just being pompous and lazy. There are not 365 murders in Central Florida, let alone Kissimmee every year. They're basically, saying "hey, we're too busy fighting real crime to deal with your petty noise complaint." Too good to be bothered by complaints that don't make the news.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:59 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewplanman View Post
Um, yeah, right.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:00 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
There just being pompous and lazy. There are not 365 murders in Central Florida, let alone Kissimmee every year. They're basically, saying "hey, we're too busy fighting real crime to deal with your petty noise complaint." Too good to be bothered by complaints that don't make the news.
I think the post was a troll who doesn't own a timeshare in Kissimmee or anywhere else, let alone making a noise complaint from it.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:54 PM

35 posts, read 114,203 times
Default who you calling a troll ?

Havn't been on this site in a while so I didn't see this. Boy your a real knuckle head to be making a comment like that. We stayed at Fantasy World timeshare and had a unit behind the Olive Garden. Every morning at 3 AM the garbage service would toss the dumpsters around like crazy. I called the police they responded with the B/S I stated. I even called the local town councilman which finally got some action. The police in most cities are useless. All they do is complain about their lack of pay or some other nonsense most should be lucky to have a job. I find most civil servants including police and teachers suffer from the same lack gratitude and simply don't take any pride in their job.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:06 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
www.redfin.com

Winter Park
Lake Mary
Dr. Phillips
Windermere
Lake Nona
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando