Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 06:25 PM

3 posts, read 50,959 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We are moving to Orlando from the northeast to work at Disney and need some suggestions for nieghborhoods. We are looking for:

1- A SAFE neighborhood,
2- A managable commute,
3- GREAT schools, private or public, within a short drive,
4- A walkable community (we are coming from a city and love to walk places)
5- A pretty community with a lake, parks, something more then strip malls, somewhere our kids can run aorund and enjoy the outdoors.

We would love to not have to be in our car all of the time, but know that may not be possible inFlorida. We are also "yuppies" and would like easy access to Whole Foods, Starbucks and good restaurants. I am not to concerned about price yet- I just need to know what is out there first.

So far I have looked at Celebration- which looks great and Cleremont. We are coming from NYC so space is not that important, though nice. But, since we are moving to a less urban area it would be so nice if it was beautiful and outdoorsy.

Thanks so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 06:41 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Winter Park is the place you need to look, though I don't know your definition of a "manageable commute". Otherwise it fits all of your criteria and is the only walkable community here that has a Whole Foods.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:47 PM

3 posts, read 50,959 times
Managable commute is less then 1 hour in traffic. Thanks so much for the suggestion.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:07 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Winter Park is the place you need to look, though I don't know your definition of a "manageable commute". Otherwise it fits all of your criteria and is the only walkable community here that has a Whole Foods.
I was going to suggest Dr Phillips, the only other community in the area with a whole foods. it has restaurant row, which is less walkable than park ave in winter park, but it offers a much better commute for the OP if he/she is working at Disney. Also it's on a chain of lakes, with a beautiful lakefront park and is full of young professionals with families.

Celebration is nice, but doctor Phillips offers better schools, restaurants and access to nearby shopping. Also celebration feels fake and contrived to some, and can be too close to the tourists

Old 03-08-2012, 08:42 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,508,237 times
Dr. Phillips sounds perfect for you, although it's not what I'd call "walkable". But really, unless you're living downtown or in the heart of Winter Park very, very little of Orlando is walkable. Remember, you're probably not going to want to be doing much walking when it's hot and humid out.

I'll add Windermere to the list- particularly "old" Windermere with its quaint, tree-canopied downtown. It's definitely one of the most beautiful and safe areas in the metro area. It is an expensive area, if that is a concern.

Not a fan of Celebration- expensive for what it is, and backyards are non-existent.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:54 AM

39 posts, read 136,462 times
I agree with above posters. Dr. Phillips and Windermere are really nice places to live. Very family friendly, neither are more than 25-30 minutes commute (incl traffic) and they both have a very "community" feeling to them. Listing prices are probably the highest in the city in those areas though, so make sure you are ready to commit to a higher price. Avg prices are somewhere between 300k-400k. If you're looking to rent you'll probably be spending close to $1700 a month for a family sized condo/apt.
Other than the somewhat high prices though, these two areas are really nice for families and seem like they'll be a good fit for you. Good luck with your search!

Old 03-09-2012, 08:08 AM

11 posts, read 43,514 times
I've been applying to Disney for awhile now with no luck how did you manage to get hired, Its tough getting in there and I live in Florida, I wish you lots of luck with your relocation.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsgood23 View Post
I agree with above posters. Dr. Phillips and Windermere are really nice places to live. Very family friendly, neither are more than 25-30 minutes commute (incl traffic) and they both have a very "community" feeling to them. Listing prices are probably the highest in the city in those areas though, so make sure you are ready to commit to a higher price. Avg prices are somewhere between 300k-400k. If you're looking to rent you'll probably be spending close to $1700 a month for a family sized condo/apt.
Other than the somewhat high prices though, these two areas are really nice for families and seem like they'll be a good fit for you. Good luck with your search!
The only reason I think Doctor Phillips is better than Windermere for the OP is his/her mention of wanting close proximity to Whole Foods, Starbucks and good restaurants. DP is perfect for that. It also is closer to all of the major roadways necessary for commuting.

Windermere is nice, but those residents have to make the 15-20 minute drive to Dr Phillips to get those amenities.

In either case, you're spot on about the prices. Both are pricier areas when it comes to living in the Orlando area

Old 03-09-2012, 09:42 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
Well if you're willing to commute up to an hour I would look at Winter Park, Baldwin Park, College Park, Thornton Park, Eola Heights, Colonialtowne, and Delaney Park.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Well if you're willing to commute up to an hour I would look at Winter Park, Baldwin Park, College Park, Thornton Park, Eola Heights, Colonialtowne, and Delaney Park.
Getting all the way to the attractions from those areas would be hellish on I-4 at times. I couldn't do it, but maybe the OP doesn't mind a rough commute. It's easily an hour or more from Winter Park to Disney when traffic gets bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando