Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 08:43 PM

3 posts, read 2,327 times

Advertisements

My airline opened a base in Orlando earlier this month. I'm currently based and living in Chicago. Chicago has its positives, but I'm ready for a change. I've been here nearly 20 years minus 7 months spent in San Francisco.

I'm considering transferring to Orlando when my lease is up. I've been to Orlando countless times with the job, but never got a real feel for the city. I've heard about traffic problems. Chicago and San Fran are notorious for traffic too. I heard wages are low, however that won't affect me because I'm coming there employed by my airline. I also heard housing is expensive. I've checked out some rent prices online and they are considerably more reasonable than both Chicago's and San Fran's.

With that being said, what are some other things to consider before a move to Orlando?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 08:45 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,440,098 times
Bad traffic!

Old 09-28-2015, 08:54 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Bad traffic!
She's in Chicago, traffic will seem like a break to her!

It's a great place to live ORDgurl, and many Airline employees have a hard time transferring due to the popularity of the place and low seniority. Sounds like you are getting a great shot at what could be a very refreshing change.

Good luck!

Old 09-29-2015, 08:26 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,189,747 times
Which airport will you be flying out of, Sanford or Orlando proper? That would be the major factor if I were you. Good luck and you will love living down there, I'm sure.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:57 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,336,752 times
If traffic is a concern how long are you willing to commute? What type or neighborhood/housing are you looking for? (ie, apartments, single family, town homes? New build, older homes, historic homes?) What amenities are most important to you? What quality of life factors are most important to you?

Old 09-29-2015, 09:18 AM

17,150 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORDGurl View Post
My airline opened a base in Orlando earlier this month. I'm currently based and living in Chicago. Chicago has its positives, but I'm ready for a change. I've been here nearly 20 years minus 7 months spent in San Francisco.

I'm considering transferring to Orlando when my lease is up. I've been to Orlando countless times with the job, but never got a real feel for the city. I've heard about traffic problems. Chicago and San Fran are notorious for traffic too. I heard wages are low, however that won't affect me because I'm coming there employed by my airline. I also heard housing is expensive. I've checked out some rent prices online and they are considerably more reasonable than both Chicago's and San Fran's.

With that being said, what are some other things to consider before a move to Orlando?
I always love to see/hear about this.
Wages are only low if you work in low/no-skilled fields, i.e., service sector, bottom end line manufacturing, etc.
If you come here with an in-demand skillset, or better yet, on a job transfer, you'll do just fine.

For example, a nurse will get paid nurse wages wherever she goes. It won't suddenly drop to minimum wage just because one moves to Orlando.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:41 AM

3 posts, read 2,327 times
Thank you everyone for your input. I would be flying out of MCO. So an apartment/town home reasonably close to MCO and shopping/dining would be ideal. Any suggestions for neighborhoods to look into that fit that bill?

Traffic is not a major concern of mine since I deal with major traffic here in Chicago. What should be a 35 minute ride to O'Hare sometimes takes me 1.5 - 2 hours. Salary is also not an issue since I'm already employed.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:02 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,336,752 times
Lake Nona, Conway/Belle Isle, Downtown South, Dr. Phillips, Hunter's Creek, Downtown and Baldwin Park would all be within a 35-40 min commute.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:47 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,943,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORDGurl View Post
Thank you everyone for your input. I would be flying out of MCO. So an apartment/town home reasonably close to MCO and shopping/dining would be ideal. Any suggestions for neighborhoods to look into that fit that bill?

Traffic is not a major concern of mine since I deal with major traffic here in Chicago. What should be a 35 minute ride to O'Hare sometimes takes me 1.5 - 2 hours. Salary is also not an issue since I'm already employed.
Yeah Many people here don't understand what real traffic problems are actually like in major cities lol. Don't worry about traffic coming from Chicago.

I would first look into Dr. Phillips. There are a lot of nice restaurants, grocery stores, bars, and it's an easy drive to MCO. Another option would be Lake Nona, but for me it's too isolated even though the area is nice and it's close to MCO. I would first check out Dr. Phillips and see how you like it. It's one of my favorite parts of Orlando and the location is very central. It would be an easy commute to MCO.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:07 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,397,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Yeah Many people here don't understand what real traffic problems are actually like in major cities lol. Don't worry about traffic coming from Chicago.

I would first look into Dr. Phillips. There are a lot of nice restaurants, grocery stores, bars, and it's an easy drive to MCO. Another option would be Lake Nona, but for me it's too isolated even though the area is nice and it's close to MCO. I would first check out Dr. Phillips and see how you like it. It's one of my favorite parts of Orlando and the location is very central. It would be an easy commute to MCO.
Well, I think Orlando traffic is worse than Jacksonville, and also worse than Mobile, AL and Huntsville, AL, other places I've been to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando