Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2015, 04:00 PM

47 posts, read 132,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
No one was being nasty about your weight. I made a statement based off of previous posts that YOU posted. You lost the weight, good for you. I don't give people high praise for doing what they should do. There was nothing insulting about what I posted.

That said, you also mentioned the heat here might be too much for you to handle, and that you hate bugs and weird critters. What environment and outdoor activities does Florida have to offer that attracts you so much? (Honest question.)
The swimming. My kids love to swim . I love the hot weather . Its better than being cold. I hate winters here in nyc . We might not have huge bugs here but we have mice and rats running crazy.

In nyc on section 8 you get cramped crappie apartments in ****ty neighborhoods...the section 8 listings in florida have been beautiful . We could get a house with our section 8 in florida. We cant do that here in new york. Hell people making $200,000 a year cant do that here ! They pay 3 grand a month for shoe boxes.

In my neighborhood its not at all unusual to see a family of 8 living in a one bedroom apartment.

I want my kids to have a nice home in the sun with a community pool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 04:03 PM

47 posts, read 132,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
^ You should just get a job at one of the theme parks then. Then you can be there all the time.
I would really like that. I would even like working at Wal-Mart. I dont need much to keep my little family happy. As Lon as we have section 8 rent will only be 30 percent and even working part time the ssi will make up the rest.

Old 10-13-2015, 05:24 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,510,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justlikecandee View Post
In nyc on section 8 you get cramped crappie apartments in ****ty neighborhoods...the section 8 listings in florida have been beautiful .
I don't know what listings you've looked at but poor neighborhoods in Florida don't look like poor neighborhoods in the northeast. You're still going to deal with the threat of gun violence, break-ins, etc.

Old 10-13-2015, 05:31 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Do you even know how the OP vacations in Orlando yearly? I have family from the NYC area who crash with me instead of staying in hotels and we feed them as well!
Just because somebody gets Section 8 doesn't mean they can't vacation like others or are taking advantage of their situation.

You sound like one of those people who are bitter when people on food stamps can buy lobsters and you are buying 80/20 Ground beef instead.

I hate Lobster and I purchase whatever groceries we want but we actually have our own income and pay our way without subsidies......anything else you would like to assume?

We stay with family as well Mr. Know nothing about me but I am not the topic of this thread and I am not the one vacationing yearly (as stated by OP in the original post) and collecting rent subsidies/section 8.

Do you also pay for the gasoline to get there or the plane tickets? There is much more cost involved than just the hotel and that money could be used toward rent instead of vacations......

Old 10-13-2015, 05:34 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justlikecandee View Post
I am going to go to school so I can work. My depression is really bad. Its hard to understand. Its more than simply not wanting to work .

I think we could live just fine in orlando. I really do. I will always makes a way for my kids to have fun ...However I am starting to rethink moving to Orlando because of the school system. I just applied for even more services here in nyc and my kids are going to get free summer camp and recreational activities as well as respite for me. I think instead of living there we should maybe just vacation there as much as we are now. Ive read too much about the people in orlando being homeless and struggling. I do still want to live there though...its so lovely and I love the balmy weather and the theme parks.
The parts of Orlando where you would be able to use a Section 8 voucher aren't all that hot. Many look good by day, but at night...

You yourself said you couldn't afford the annual passes, so I'm not sure why you keep mentioning the theme parks. When you live here you don't go to the parks much if at all. Life gets in the way.

Old 10-13-2015, 05:46 PM

927 posts, read 758,919 times
I spent August in Orlando and it was very hot and humid. I can walk a mile easy in New Orleans in the early summer, but it was tough even walking a block in Orlando at 6pm. Because of the heat and humidity. Everyone driving their cars everywhere is adding to the problem. Also there's lightning all the time. 2pm every day. They said in the airport everything has to shut down and Orlando is the lightning capital of the world.
In Arizona in August it was hot at 100+, but not humid, so it was only really bad indoors. I went out all the time. Not at high noon. But Orlando it was too hot even for me.
I'd go for the far north reaches of Orlando - Apopka ? to the northwest, and Fern-whatever to the northeast. The metro bus stations there. Or Kissimmee which is south Orlando.

Old 10-13-2015, 05:55 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,397,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_w View Post
Or Kissimmee which is south Orlando.
Kissimmee (and Osceola County) stinks. My girlfriend and I could not leave there fast enough.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:10 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,431,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
Kissimmee (and Osceola County) stinks. My girlfriend and I could not leave there fast enough.
For once I actually agree with you Joey, I would also not recommend Kissimmee, there are MUCH better areas in Metro Orlando.. And besides, the OP should live in a more centrally accessible area, Kissimmee is far from central, especially if she will not have a car to get around and will be relying to ACCESS LYNX and public transportation.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
For once I actually agree with you Joey, I would also not recommend Kissimmee, there are MUCH better areas in Metro Orlando.. And besides, the OP should live in a more centrally accessible area, Kissimmee is far from central, especially if she will not have a car to get around and will be relying to ACCESS LYNX and public transportation.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_w View Post
I'd go for the far north reaches of Orlando - Apopka ? to the northwest, and Fern-whatever to the northeast. The metro bus stations there. Or Kissimmee which is south Orlando.
If someone needs to get around by LYNX, why live way out in Apopka? You ain't making sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando