Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2015, 03:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,807 times

Advertisements

I'm considering applying for Universal, I need a part time or even a new full time job and I really do love all the theme parks around d here. I'd love to work for Disney but I feel like they have way too many expectations for their "cast members"

My question is what kind of perks/benifits do you get? (Do you get free admission to the parks/events, does your family get free entry to the parks, do you get discounts on merchandise/ food, any special things that Universal does that other places might not, do you get vacation time, do they offer health insurance? ) things like that I have tried to research this but have found little info.

Also what is the work environment like? What are the other team members like to work with? What is the pay rate?

I'm used to doing a very mindless job at a very disfunctional place with a boss that's never around I need something else to help me get money.. I appreciate the feedback in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 03:51 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
It depends on the position.

I was an attractions attendant when I was in high school for Universal Studios / Island of Adventure. As far as jobs go, it was pretty fun and easy. Most people were high school or college age, so if you are a 35 year old, you will feel out of place lol.

Basically, you apply and interview at the same time, it's very straight forward and easy, you will then find out immediately whether you are hired or not, and then you'll take a look at all the rides with available spots and you choose one. I would recommend choosing an attraction that is mostly indoors such as Men in Black, ET, The Mummy etc. Attractions like ET are very laid back, while ones likes The Mummy or Incredible Hulk are much more intense. It depends on the type of atmosphere you want. Also check out the costumes for each ride and see which ones would you like. I worked at the Hulk, but requested a transfer because it was just way too hot. I ended up going with Men in Black, which was easy and pretty fun, at least back then. Every 15 minutes or so, you switch positions, so you aren't doing the same thing the entire day. You will basically come to Universal, go to their costume warehouse, put on your outfit and then walk to your attraction and then clock in. You get some breaks depending on your shift, food is not included, but they have employee dining areas.

You get free access to Universal, Island of Adventure, Seaworld, Busch Gardens... at least when I was working there. I didn't get any free passes for family or friends though. I also didn't get any benefits, no health insurance etc. Overall, it was a good experience, but it's not a long-term career kind of thing. If you are in school, it's fine... However, if you want to build up your resume, you'd be better off working as a bank teller.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:42 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,511,056 times
All TM's get certain benefits, but some of the better ones (health insurance, PTO, vacation time), are only for full-time employees. I believe you get three comp tickets every quarter (four quarters a year) and discounts on annual passes. TM's get free admission to both parks all year long, special events like Halloween Horror Nights and Mardi Gras, free admission to SeaWorld and Busch Gardens, and a ton of discounts both on-property and around town. I'm pretty sure the lowest pay rate is $9.50/hour.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:29 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
Ok I'm really going to date myself here but I worked for Universal back it was just Universal Studios, no IOA yet. Back than the ride attendants job, especially at the indoor rides as BMW mentioned were the in demand positions because of the AC. But as the strapping young lad I was they put in food beverage, tending a snack cart and walking the park as a vendor. It was hard work, alot of heavy lifting in the hot sun, alot of restocking, and the carts had no AC back than, just a tiny little fan. But I did enjoy being on my own and when it was time to walk the park we took advantage of the side benefits. Now I'm not encouraging anyone to break company policy but back in the day we would pick up our trays of Soda, Beer, Nuts, Ice Cream, whatever it was and hit the busiest lines in the sun. You find the right spot and you could sell out an entire tray in no time and often people would tip you (which of course we weren't supposed to accept). We only got paid about $7.50/hour back than so making $20 in tips was a big deal. Of course we never mentioned it, but management didn't really ask either. Ok I'm done reminiscing. Back than we received free tix every quarter and allowed free entry to any event. Most of the time you made friends with other co-workers around the park and we would skip to the front of the line before they had express passes. It was a fun time but it's a certainly a job more suited to teens and college kids. No way I could do that labor in the Florida sun today.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:14 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,432,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmo221 View Post
I'm considering applying for Universal, I need a part time or even a new full time job and I really do love all the theme parks around d here. I'd love to work for Disney but I feel like they have way too many expectations for their "cast members"

My question is what kind of perks/benifits do you get? (Do you get free admission to the parks/events, does your family get free entry to the parks, do you get discounts on merchandise/ food, any special things that Universal does that other places might not, do you get vacation time, do they offer health insurance? ) things like that I have tried to research this but have found little info.

Also what is the work environment like? What are the other team members like to work with? What is the pay rate?

I'm used to doing a very mindless job at a very disfunctional place with a boss that's never around I need something else to help me get money.. I appreciate the feedback in advance.
It really depends what kind of job and department you work in.. Like most hospitality operations, the majority of positions at Universal Orlando are line-level hourly positions with high volumes of customer interaction, evenings/night shifts, weekends/holidays, standing for an entire shift, and an expectation to perform specific functions in a consistent manner for long periods of time.

It is important to keep in mind that just because you apply for a position in a specific company doesn't mean you will get it, based on your post it seems that have an expectation that you will get this job and hence it is the only company you state that you are applying to. I would recommend expanding your options and applying to other companies as well. IMHO Disney is a MUCH better company than Universal, it surprises me that you would prefer to work at Universal over Disney, most people that I know who work in the industry prefer the opposite..

Old 10-13-2015, 11:39 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,511,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
IMHO Disney is a MUCH better company than Universal, it surprises me that you would prefer to work at Universal over Disney, most people that I know who work in the industry prefer the opposite..
I know that was just your opinion, but I know plenty of people who have worked at both who felt like they were treated like a number at Disney and preferred Universal. Also, movement upwards is more about talent at Universal and less about seniority than at Disney.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:42 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
It really depends what kind of job and department you work in.. Like most hospitality operations, the majority of positions at Universal Orlando are line-level hourly positions with high volumes of customer interaction, evenings/night shifts, weekends/holidays, standing for an entire shift, and an expectation to perform specific functions in a consistent manner for long periods of time.

It is important to keep in mind that just because you apply for a position in a specific company doesn't mean you will get it, based on your post it seems that have an expectation that you will get this job and hence it is the only company you state that you are applying to. I would recommend expanding your options and applying to other companies as well. IMHO Disney is a MUCH better company than Universal, it surprises me that you would prefer to work at Universal over Disney, most people that I know who work in the industry prefer the opposite..
When I was in high school I had friends working at both companies and I chose Universal based on their comments. My friends at Disney said you really have to get there extra early because the parking lot, casting area etc are pretty far from the park, while Universal, you park closer than the guests and everything is pretty much right there, especially if you are working at Universal Studios. I'd also say, neither company will make much of a difference entry-level if you are trying to use that experience to be hired as a financial analyst or something like that. If I were to work at Disney (if I went back in time) I would try to become a lifeguard. You get paid more and will probably end up working for one of their hotels. One of my buddies in college did it and he liked it a lot. As far as getting a entry-level job, it's very easy. Universal is easier than Disney from what I've heard. Universal you just go to their employment building and they'll just interview you right there. I saw people going into their interview dressed with oversized shirts and baggy jeans and still come out with a job. You don't need prior experience, you just have to say you customer service, guest satisfaction and safety are the most important things in your opinion.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:18 AM

2 posts, read 2,807 times
Quote:

I understand all of the first part, as I have worked for disney, I love Disney but hated working for them for a number of reasons, I ended up having to quit because I lost my transportation (I wrecked my truck) and I live 30 minutes away from the parks I couldn't utilize their on site transport, that being said I have no expectations of getting hired, number 1 because I haven't applied yet, and 2 because I know that just because you apply doesn't mean you're going to get hired.. I'm exploring other options outside where I work now (a sub shop) i understand that it's an hourly level job, and that it's probably going to be standing and walking I'm perfectly fine with that and being in the heat.. I'm open for any hours on any days (weekends and holidays included) I have also considered other parks and tourist attractions in and around the tampa and orlando area, universal is just the one I'd really love to get when i apply... you did not answer the question i was asking, all I'm trying to find out is what benifits are offered and if there were any perks for team members and possibly their family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando