Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 08:50 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times

Advertisements

Just my 2 cents.....

We recently did a bike run and two of the guys on the run attend MMI.
Thinking about this thread we asked them what it was like.

They said it was hard and tough but loved every minute of it. We were impressed that they could just look or hear a bike and tell you some intricate detail.

One of them also mentioned the "don't be late for class" comment.

One "kid" was 24 and the other was 45.

They both realize just how tight the job market is right now but feel confident that this will pay off.

Good luck to all who go this route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 03:04 PM

1 posts, read 4,751 times
Can i just add something to this conversation... i was just reading everthing that has been written and well my opinion since we are all giving ours is that obivisly something happend at MMI which if it was true u would be telling all of and not just bashing the school ..right? My husband is 25 and he will be attending in june 09we have 3 children(2 his 1 from previous) and my husband use to race when he was young until his mother got cancer and couldnt do it any longer and well it is my husbands passions to ride and work on bikes and i feel if you want it bad enough you can make any situation a good one if you really want it. My husband is leaving his family to go and better our life just because something happen to you dosent mean you have to scare others. you wont even tell us what your issue is with the school. so i find what ever your saying is stupid and imature. My husband is going to go and graduate and make something of his self.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:43 PM

12 posts, read 84,105 times
I would highly recommend he try and get a small place on his own. The school has housing help, if he splits a place with someone he should try and room with someone his age...otherwise you could get stuck with a kid straight out of high school...some are great and very motivated...but they still want to party and stay out late...have friends over (just like me when I was that age). Also check "Rooms for rent"...sometimes you can find a retired person just outside or Orlando willing to rent a room (and use their garage for his bike) for a fraction of the cost...just a little travel time...good luck.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:16 AM

1 posts, read 4,683 times
My husband and I are trying to plan for moving to Orlando and him starting at MMI. We still have a year to go before we get out there simply because he is and active duty soldier and we're currently stationed in Germany. We also just found out that we're going to be having a baby. I was wondering about child care in the area around the school. I need names of places so I can look them up and find the information I need. Also any advice for my husband for while he's there would be awesome.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:07 AM

2 posts, read 16,100 times
If you are willing to make 250.00 a week then go to mmi the school is full of it they say you will get a good paying job turning wrenches, my brother in law gradeuated with the highest grades in his classes got out they didnt even help him find a job. He is working making 250.00 a week. Harley here at home offered him a job washing bikes for 6.25 hr. So you ask me mmi is a freaking joke.............

Old 04-30-2009, 11:42 AM

621 posts, read 2,219,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_traveler78 View Post
If you are willing to make 250.00 a week then go to mmi the school is full of it they say you will get a good paying job turning wrenches, my brother in law gradeuated with the highest grades in his classes got out they didnt even help him find a job. He is working making 250.00 a week. Harley here at home offered him a job washing bikes for 6.25 hr. So you ask me mmi is a freaking joke.............
As with anything in life, there are no guarantees. Unless the school is fraudulent or something along those lines, I don't think it's fair for you to bash them like this.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:44 AM

1,382 posts, read 3,802,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_traveler78 View Post
My husband graduated from MMI some years back. He said it was a great school, but unfortunately the career options are limited and most jobs don't pay well. (for such an expensive program, that is a big drawback)
Just because you love bikes doesn't mean you will love working on them all day.

I would encourage anyone who wants to enroll in MMI to check out possible career options well before they go into massive debt. By the way, my husband is working in a totally different field now.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:08 PM

hhhmmmm 250 a week or ....nothing...for many of the unemployeed, laid off and or disabled it may be small but its something. Once you have the education they cannot take it away from you. 20 yrs ago I got a 4 year degree (at an undisclosed amount) only to get out and land a high paying job at 4.35 an hour. Nobody from MMI said I would make 30,40, or 50k a year...but I decided to go there. Everyone wants to blame someone else for what they have not obtained....you don't like it...then change it.... Donald Trump is not going to show up at your door and give you a GREAT job. I see so many people at school...showing up late, leaving early...in talking with one of my Dr's he has several friends that went to MMI and they are very happy with their careers and the money they make. If there is something you don't like about your life....change it! I have crohn's disease (for 36 years) got sick, job was eliminated, lost my benifits...boo hoo for me...you know what...I could sit here and feel sorry for myself but I'm doing something about it...or I could live off you and pull social security disability...you wanna make more money? Do something else.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:17 PM

Thank you.... yeah...DONT BE LATE, DONT MISS CLASS AND DONT LEAVE EARLY!!! They tell you this allllllll the time...this is not high school....this is not your current job where they give you breaks now and then...they mark it....do you think a dealership wants someone showing up late, leaving work early or not showing up......reality check...this is life....start acting like you give a damn...you can have all the good grades but crappy attendance...employers will take someone who is always there over someone who has better grades.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:29 PM

9 posts, read 63,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalebboy06 View Post
Can i just add something to this conversation... i was just reading everthing that has been written and well my opinion since we are all giving ours is that obivisly something happend at MMI which if it was true u would be telling all of and not just bashing the school ..right? My husband is 25 and he will be attending in june 09we have 3 children(2 his 1 from previous) and my husband use to race when he was young until his mother got cancer and couldnt do it any longer and well it is my husbands passions to ride and work on bikes and i feel if you want it bad enough you can make any situation a good one if you really want it. My husband is leaving his family to go and better our life just because something happen to you dosent mean you have to scare others. you wont even tell us what your issue is with the school. so i find what ever your saying is stupid and imature. My husband is going to go and graduate and make something of his self.
First of all, I have no reason to make up a lie...lie's do nothing but cause trouble. The reason I haven't shared each and every specific point is because it's very detailed and would involve lots of typing and time. The details don't really matter as I have the right to share as little or as much as I find appropriate as well as the right to share my opinion concerning our experience....just as you do. I stated the basic issues: As far as I am concerned they deal with things in a very unprofessional manner, such as saying they will get back to you concerning a situation and several months later you still haven't heard from them. It's also very expensive and in my opinion the starting wage after graduating is not worth the expense of the education. I also have a problem with the sales pitches used during the recruiting process that are very misleading and promises/committments made that are not adhered to. That is my opinion formed through our experience with MMI and there is nothing I said here that was intended to scare anyone. If you're scared thats not my fault.

Second of all, your husbands history of racing, how many kids you have, and so on have nothing to do with anything that I have posted on this thread.

Third, be careful what you call stupid and immature as i haven't said anything mean to anyone here on this thread, nor have I said anything stupid or immature...although you are entitled to your opinion. I can think of a few things to say to you but I tend to refrain from that in most cases. Maybe it's you who has posted stupidly and immaturely....or maybe just out of ignorance. You are entitled to your opinion but to address someone as if I personally did something to you is just ridiculous and disrespectful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando