Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2016, 10:04 AM

19 posts, read 15,646 times

Advertisements

Currently in Boise and may have an opportunity to move to Orlando. Hopefully I would be getting around an $8-$13,000 raise. My wife would still have to find a job, but currently only makes about $25,000/year so hopefully she can at least find something to match or better that. Combined we make about $65,000 now and I assume we would be around $75,000 with the move.

We have two girls ages 5 and 7 so safety and good schools are a priority for me. I'm excited to always be near a beach and have the opportunity to take the kids to Disney and all the stuff in the area I would otherwise not be able to afford to do. But we are also trying to pay off about $100,000 in debt so I'm hoping we will be able to find somewhere affordable to live that's not in a crime-ridden terrible school area.

Currently we pay about $800/per month in rent and average around $250 on utilities. I would be working in Winter Park and am also hoping to have a commute of less than 30 minutes. We could make a 2 bedroom work but would prefer something with 2 bathrooms and a yard.

Any thoughts on finding something like that with a housing budget similar to what we have now? I've seen several ads on Craigslist that look like they would be good, but it's hard to tell if they are in a good area, what the commute time and utilities would look like. I'd be willing to move even if we could break even from where we are at now. Idaho schools are not great and we aren't living in the best location right now so I feel like even a similar situation in Orlando would be a step up. But I'm also worried all the other cost of living increases like insurance and food may make my raise not even matter or make our budget even worse than it is now. Hopefully my wife could make more money in Orlando too, but I can't count on that. She has a degree in healthcare administration, but no real experience other than entry-level and can't seem to move up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 11:40 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,573,455 times
Look around Altamonte Springs. I looked into some townhouses and apartments around Eastmonte Park and they were 2/2 for $750/month. There are some neighborhoods with smaller older homes as well. Not brand-new of course. Seminole County schools are better rated than Orange County.

Its real close to Winter Park no need to get on I-4. For your wife, there is Florida Hospital in Altamonte, A Hospital in Longwood on SR 434( I don't remember the name) Adventist Health which runs Florida Hospital and other hospitals nationwide has their national HQ off Maitland Blvd( SR 414 at SR 434) perhaps your wife could get into administration there

Old 02-15-2016, 03:10 PM

19 posts, read 15,646 times
What about general cost of living like utilities in comparison to what we are paying now? Can anyone give me an average of what they are paying for a 2 or 3 bedroom house?

Old 02-15-2016, 03:52 PM

166 posts, read 384,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internallydeluded View Post
What about general cost of living like utilities in comparison to what we are paying now? Can anyone give me an average of what they are paying for a 2 or 3 bedroom house?
The cost of living in Orlando is only about 4 to 5% higher than Boise. So you would need a household income of about $68,000 to maintain your current standard of living.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:13 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,077,888 times
For a 3 bedroom in a good neighborhood your rent will effectively double.
Utilities will be closer to $150.

Even given an $8000 raise, you'd break even here and be living in a far more exciting place than Boise.

$75K is fine for a family of four here.
Baldwin Park is the neighborhood you'd want for your girls. Close knit, good schools, family oriented.

45 minutes to cocoa beach, 30 minutes to Walt Disney World, 15 minutes to Winter Park.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:42 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internallydeluded View Post
Not sure where people are coming up with 3%-5% cost of living differences from Boise since the average rent on a two bedroom rental in the Orlando area sits at $1180 per month, which alone is 30% higher than Boise. I would highly recommend upping your budget as an $800-$900 per month rental here is going to equate to what you would find for $550-$600 a month in Boise, which probably isn't most ideal in terms of surroundings for your children in terms of potential neighbors.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:45 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,342,054 times
Look into Casselberry.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:48 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,583,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consigliere View Post
The cost of living in Orlando is only about 4 to 5% higher than Boise. So you would need a household income of about $68,000 to maintain your current standard of living.
Unless they're outdoorsy, can't beat Boise in that regard.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:16 AM

113 posts, read 182,336 times
Default Don't forget there is no state income tax in FL.

I believe you have a state income tax in Idaho so there is some money saved there. I suspect the biggest thing to guard against for you is the school. FL in general just isn't that good and you really need to plan where you live carefully or do private school. So, start with a location with good school and then go from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando