Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 03:59 PM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katskill View Post
why do you say that? For people like me for whom investing is part-time, condo is hassle-free.
I dont have to worry about the exterior or building maintenance.
Condos can be fine, but location matters twice as much. Location in general is what matters, but when it comes to condos, it matters even more. Generally speaking, condos decline faster during busts and take longer to recover during booms. You also have to worry about the HOA's financial health more so than a single family hous HOA. However, you can still invest in condos or town homes. I bought a condo around $250k and sold it for $530k 4.5 years later with no renovations. Just make sure the HOA is in good health and you count the HOA dues.

In regards to the other post, avoid vacation rental type properties. You could see your principal drop 75% easily during the next bust and it might not recover during the next boom. Look for good schools, good communities, good jobs, good locations etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 12:21 PM

139 posts, read 202,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Condos can be fine, but location matters twice as much. Location in general is what matters, but when it comes to condos, it matters even more.

In regards to the other post, avoid vacation rental type properties. You could see your principal drop 75% easily during the next bust and it might not recover during the next boom. Look for good schools, good communities, good jobs, good locations etc.
I agree - condos require more scrutiny of financials, but OTOH houses require stronger inspections - you miss one thing and it could be a moneypit.

Your criteria is spot on - school and location most important. Do you have any towns you can suggest?

Old 06-20-2016, 03:07 PM

2 posts, read 1,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Condos can be fine, but location matters twice as much. Location in general is what matters, but when it comes to condos, it matters even more. Generally speaking, condos decline faster during busts and take longer to recover during booms. You also have to worry about the HOA's financial health more so than a single family hous HOA. However, you can still invest in condos or town homes. I bought a condo around $250k and sold it for $530k 4.5 years later with no renovations. Just make sure the HOA is in good health and you count the HOA dues.

I'm from Orlando area and I'm looking to get my first rental property as well.

Is this the type of vacation rental that you're saying should be avoided? It's a short sale for $50k. And the monthly payment including HOA+Taxes would be $800 assuming 5%, 30 year mortgage.

Thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando