Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2016, 09:42 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I own a 22 rifle, and yes, it's semi-auto. However, the clip only holds 10 bullets -- not 50, 60, 100, etc., that come with AR-15s. The magazine size is a major issue IMO. Who needs that many bullets all at once?
If you are target shooting a large magazine lets you continue without changing magazines.

Your .22 cal fires just as fast as an AR-15. A .22 cal bullet kills people too.

The time it takes to change out a magazine is quite minimal. Press the button, empty drops out and you can slap in a full one very quickly. If you have 6 10 shot magazines on you it's the same as having a 60 round magazine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 09:43 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
I own a 22 rifle, and yes, it's semi-auto. However, the clip only holds 10 bullets -- not 50, 60, 100, etc., that come with AR-15s. The magazine size is a major issue IMO. Who needs that many bullets all at once?
Incorrect, you can buy 30 round or larger magazines for a .22 rifle. You can modify your friendly beginner-rifle $150 Ruger 10/22 to be very AR like. Likewise, smith and Wesson sells a .22 AR variant.

Quote:
Round = 1 bullet.
I'm assuming he had a 60 bullet magazine, which is pretty easy to purchase for an AR-15.
Why AR-15s are sold in stores, I don't know. Do people really use these for hunting?

I have a 40 round magazine. There are 100 round magazines, not sure how reliable they are. The popularity of the AR is due to it's all around application and modular design. It's simply an excellent, accurate, and reliable rifle practical for target shooting, hunting (mostly small game, but you can also modify it take a larger caliber), and home defense. It's modular design make them the "Barbie doll" toy of sorts for adult men, and some women.

For a reason that extends beyond it's ability to kill (it does have a small caliber bullet, preferred by the military because, simply, they are easier to logistically ship), it has become the weapon of choice for these mass shooters along with the tactical vest (which are almost always misidentified by the press as bullet proof vests) and other tacti-cool useless crap like bayonets.
It's simply and sadly the mass murderer uniform of choice in the copycat tradition.

Last edited by Dd714; 06-13-2016 at 09:52 AM..

Old 06-13-2016, 09:54 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Okay, from what has been shared, there wasn't anything on Mateen for the FBI to have him on any sort of SDN or other watch list, he was an American citizen. There's no such thing as a pre-pre-FBI person of interest. As long as he was "clear" the FBI's hands are tied...... I believe that would be a step above racial profiling, which we, as a country, routinely reject. If the only prior crimes of this shooter was exercising his free speech and traveling the world, what basis would the FBI or ATF ban him from rights US Citizens enjoy? (Now, if the FBI missed something that should have been caught, that's another story).

Gun laws would not have prevented carnage, he would have found another way. But another interesting point, perhaps a very dangerous one comes to light - is it time to change our stance on profiling? Let's face it, for decades, young black men have been terrorized by law enforcement based on their age and race. (I am not saying every PO is guilty of this! But it has happened for far too long). I am not expressing approval of racial profiling, and never would. But I don't know how we can pretend it doesn't happen in one situation and then bend over backwards being politically correct at the expense of our safety. There's being politically correct and there is being proactive about our safety. We have to find the fine line that gets us to where we need to be.
A 10-20 bullet mag would have definitely given people precious time to get out/escape. He bought the weapons and likely the bullets and magazines legally.

We clearly need an overhaul with what the FBI is doing though when someone is interviewed not once but TWICE

Old 06-13-2016, 09:56 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
A 10-20 bullet mag would have definitely given people precious time to get out/escape.
Doesn't seem to apply here - the dude had 3 hours to kill at leasure.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:04 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
It's possible for the government to flag a person on NICS with little justification, the due process would come when the person tries to purchase a weapon and appeals his denial. This guy could have easily been flagged - but it requires the government to do their job, and the government doesn't always do this right.
And indeed the FBI would have thought "well I can't do this, we are singling out a muslim and people will complain...I will get in trouble". And indeed, the point may be moot - a person intent on to take lives for the purposes of hate and religious extremism will find a way. This guy murdered during Ramadan, I guess you get a few extra virgins for murdering during this period.
You are correct.

Red flags everywhere, especially when he flew to the ME for... what, a "vacation"?

Stop strip searching grandma from Bumfook, Arkansas, and drop the stupid pc ban against profiling. After all, when some thug burns a cross or spray paints swastikas on a temple, the LEOs don't look at the local NAACP chapter.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:08 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,444,137 times

Old 06-13-2016, 11:24 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,055,460 times
This incident has proven the theory that a semi-automatic rifle can do extreme damage more than any handgun could. These bullets go through people and walls. Personally I think we need to ban new sales and used re-sales of all semi-automatic rifles. Bolt-action rifles, shotguns, semi-automatic pistols, and revolvers are more than enough for sport and personal defense IMO. I'm sorry that you will lose your sport of target shooting without having to reload as much, but someone has to lose something here. I own a XD-9 and have shot many different pistols and a few AR-15s. I just don't see the point of the semi-auto rifles like the AR-15.

Old 06-13-2016, 11:45 AM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
First off, it's a magazine. Anyone with any experience can swap mags on a 10 rounder in less than a second. Large magazines jam (A LOT). Hysterically going after magazines isn't going to stop a mass shooting.

the gun grabbers want your .22 for the same reason they want the .223/5.56

Old 06-13-2016, 11:50 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,102,689 times
My thoughts are with the victims, their families, the LGBT community of Orlando and the city as a whole.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:07 PM

17,207 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
So moral of the story is vote for Trump.
In what way would that have prevented this from happening?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando