Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2017, 06:05 PM

3 posts, read 3,281 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking about moving out of New York for some time now . It hasn't been any place in particular , I just want to move somewhere with a lot of job opportunity and an affordable cost of living . If Idaho were such a place, I'd go there if it allowed me to have a better life. My wife though is crazy about Florida , which is due to a combination of photos she has seen , hearing about life in Florida from my relatives there ( I have a lot of family in Tampa , st Pete, Miami , and other places.) So my wife isn't really interested in moving anywhere else in the USA except Florida . Now it worries me because I'm not sure the kind of work I do pays well enough. I'm a structured cabling technician and I get paid 20 an hour. I make about 40000 a year but after talking to some recruiters in Florida , the average pay for a tech with my experience is around 17 an hour maybe 18 tops . Is this kind of income enough to afford a decent life in Florida . Decent meaning to have my own studio apartment , pay all bills and have some money saved . Also is this income enough for two of us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 06:54 AM

27,232 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Orlando isn't the place as the rental market here isn't conducive to most. The average one bedroom rents for around $1100 a month. Orlando rent increase second highest in the country, study says

And places where it runs a good bit less aren't places generally recommended as desirable, or safe.

Tampa/St Pete is probably your best bet given you can find nice one bedroom apartments in decent areas like Brandon, Clearwater, Temple Terrace, South Tampa and NE St Pete (Gateway) in the $750-$850 a month range.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:44 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,091,425 times
I believe your best bet would be Orlando or Tampa or maybe a smaller city in between like Lakeland. I think average rent has gone up in Tampa Bay, but Pinellas county appears to have cheaper options than Hillsborough. Miami is too pricey unless you have a lot of money. For bargain prices you have to live in the far out areas like Homestead or near Everglades.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:46 AM

17,211 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
I believe your best bet would be Orlando or Tampa or maybe a smaller city in between like Lakeland. I think average rent has gone up in Tampa Bay, but Pinellas county appears to have cheaper options than Hillsborough. Miami is too pricey unless you have a lot of money. For bargain prices you have to live in the far out areas like Homestead or near Everglades.
To be fair, in either of the three areas, one has to live in the far-out areas. In Orlando, one can find cheaper rent in Northern Seminole/South Volusia or Lake County, but then your commute into town can be a nightmare.
As for Miami, how are prices in places like Tamiami and Kendall? I was just down there a few weeks back and it looked very middle-class-ish. The drive into town using the 836 wasn't bad at all.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:22 AM

27,232 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
As for Miami, how are prices in places like Tamiami and Kendall? I was just down there a few weeks back and it looked very middle-class-ish. The drive into town using the 836 wasn't bad at all.
They're about what the average is here in Central Florida, and you would be hard pressed to find anything below $1000-$1100 a month for a one bedroom....that you'd want to live in anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando