Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2017, 09:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,081 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Our water bill runs between $160 and $180 per month for a 1600 sf. home with a pool and irrigation system. We are just two people. We are on the City of Winter Park water and I know it is more than the norm with them, because everything is more expensive in W.P. Speaking with two of my friends the other night that are also just two people to each household and they have pools and irrigation as well. They live in much larger homes than we do and the one couple pays about $70 per month and the other around $6 per month. The Treasurer of our subdivision was upset that the water bill for the entire community was over $400 last month and that got me thinking also, that just our little house is almost $200. Has anyone else had this experience with Winter Park Utilities?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 10:59 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,943,651 times
Talk to your neighbors, if they are much lower than yours then it should be easy to figure out the problem.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:07 AM

17,151 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Get your house inspected for leaks. We recently had something similar happen. I would have never guessed we had a leak since we saw no water damage whatsoever. Our bill kept creeping up until suddenly it skyrocketed to near $1000. Turns out we had what started off as a small leak under the slab develop into a massive leak, all going downward (so we could not see it.) We got the whole house repiped and our bill is back to normal. Get it inspected before it turns into something major.

Old 05-19-2017, 01:04 PM

605 posts, read 711,567 times
Yes, it sounds like a leak. Turn off any source of running water in the house and then go outside and see if the meter is still running. We do this periodically. If it is still running, you have a leak somewhere.

We have had two leaks and they were both with the sprinkler system. One head was missing (we didn't realize it for awhile - one night I was sitting outside and noticed one of the sprinkler heads was shooting water like a geyser!). The other time a sprinkler main busted. That was a BIG leak which was easy to notice.

My neighbor just figured out she had a leak - she turned off the water main to her house and the meter was still running (her main shut off is actually on the house, not at the meter). But that helped her pinpoint the leak as being somewhere in the line that runs to the house between the main and the shut off on the house. Leak was underground like previous poster.

We have learned to periodically check the meter outside and to watch the sprinklers when they come on so we catch any leaks early and avoid a big bill.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:39 PM

12 posts, read 14,071 times
We have Winter Park water too and when we aren't irrigating like crazy (drought curse you!) the water bill is around $50 per month. Las month was $150 due to all the lawn watering and pressure washing
so it really depends how much you run your irrigation. The water dept can actually break it down for you and tell you the high usage times - if it coincides with sprinkling, check all your zones for broken heads or cracks - that really adds up! We had a gusher and didn't realize it until the $200 water bill arrived last summer.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:29 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,089,169 times
Check if they have a tier system. City of Tampa will hurt you with the Tier system. Once you hit a certain amount they higher the charge of water. Had a 600 dollar bill once. I am not in the city of winter park. But that amount sounds like what I had last month with a pool and watering the lawn. Was very dry recently.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:37 AM

66 posts, read 78,822 times
Thumbs down Ditto

Fear this drought. Water bill for 03/23@ 136
04/22@ $180+ just because of programing the springlers three times @ week

Old 06-03-2017, 02:26 PM

764 posts, read 391,976 times
Our water bill went up and we found we had a small leak in the toilet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando